SDS100/SDS200: Trunked channel priority

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5JLF

Premium Subscriber
On my SDS100 I can’t do priority scanning on a trunked channel. I get a “Priority Scan, No Channel “. I have tried several times and followed the user manual exactly each time. Help!

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
It's pretty much a waste of your time, it won't work as you'd like, even if you program it correctly.
My humble opinion from personal experience.. :LOL:

MStep

While doctordialtone is totally correct, so is u2brent to some degree. While I consider the Priority function in the SDS series as certainly workable, I would never use it in conjunction with monitoring a frequency of upmost importance. In order to guarantee that you never miss a transmission on a frequency or talk group which is of critical importance, you must have a dedicated receiver.

W5JLF

Premium Subscriber
Talkgroup needs to be programmed into a favorites list:
MENU > Manage Favorites > [Select Favorites list] > Review/Edit System > [Select System] > Edit Department > [Select Department] > Edit Channel > [Select Channel] > Set Priority > On
That is exactly how I am programming and I still get the No Channel message.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Did you enable priority in the systems option? (In addition to having a TG set for Priority) You have to enable it on a per system basis in trunking.
1620771307240.png
Priority ID Scan ON

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
If you did, then it's always on, for just that system. (unless changed in Sentinel or via the radio menu)
The other priority type control is for conventional items only. If you turn it on, and no active items have priority checked, you'll get that No Channel error :unsure:

And refer to post 4 :cry:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Well. . .

Conventional Priority Scanning is apples and Trunked Priority is oranges. It is confusing.

"Priority Scan, No Channel" means you have told the scanner that you want to set one or more conventional channels to be scanned as priority channels. This setting is in the Profile. You then have to set one or more of those conventional channels to be the priority channels in the Favorites List editor. If the scanner cannot find a conventional channel that has been "marked" as a priority channel, it returns the error message you got. There are several reasons why the scanner cannot find the channel: none have been programmed, those that are programmed are avoided some way (out of range, quick key off, etc.) Conventional channel priority will interrupt or pre-empt an in progress conversation to check for activity on a priority channel.

On trunked systems it is a whole different process. It even has a different name - "Priority ID Scanning". You tell the scanner you want to do trunked priority scanning in the system's settings. That is set in the system's settings in the options tab. Then you have to mark the desired channels as priority channels.

Here is hitch: trunked priority does NOT do preemptive scanning to check for activity on higher priority channels, (except for certain types of systems rarely used). It only does "priority" when the scanner is monitoring the control channel. So this is not a true priority scanning thing. About the only value is if you are holding on a non priority channel which is inactive and a priority channel becomes active, then the scanner will jump to the priority channel.

Here is an interesting tidbit. If you monitor both trunked and conventional systems with priority scanning active on both, the scanner will interrupt a transmission on a trunked system to check a priority conventional channel for activity. But it will not interrupt a conventional transmission to check for priority on a trunked system. (One way street deal).

W5JLF

Premium Subscriber
Well. . .

Conventional Priority Scanning is apples and Trunked Priority is oranges. It is confusing.

"Priority Scan, No Channel" means you have told the scanner that you want to set one or more conventional channels to be scanned as priority channels. This setting is in the Profile. You then have to set one or more of those conventional channels to be the priority channels in the Favorites List editor. If the scanner cannot find a conventional channel that has been "marked" as a priority channel, it returns the error message you got. There are several reasons why the scanner cannot find the channel: none have been programmed, those that are programmed are avoided some way (out of range, quick key off, etc.) Conventional channel priority will interrupt or pre-empt an in progress conversation to check for activity on a priority channel.

On trunked systems it is a whole different process. It even has a different name - "Priority ID Scanning". You tell the scanner you want to do trunked priority scanning in the system's settings. That is set in the system's settings in the options tab. Then you have to mark the desired channels as priority channels.

Here is hitch: trunked priority does NOT do preemptive scanning to check for activity on higher priority channels, (except for certain types of systems rarely used). It only does "priority" when the scanner is monitoring the control channel. So this is not a true priority scanning thing. About the only value is if you are holding on a non priority channel which is inactive and a priority channel becomes active, then the scanner will jump to the priority channel.

Here is an interesting tidbit. If you monitor both trunked and conventional systems with priority scanning active on both, the scanner will interrupt a transmission on a trunked system to check a priority conventional channel for activity. But it will not interrupt a conventional transmission to check for priority on a trunked system. (One way street deal).
Thanks

jjn555

Premium Subscriber
Well. . .
/QUOTE

This clearly explained the same problem I was having. Thanks for the post. However, is there a way to do this "Priority ID Scanning' from the radio keyboard itself without needing the Sentinel program?

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
This clearly explained the same problem I was having. Thanks for the post. However, is there a way to do this "Priority ID Scanning' from the radio keyboard itself without needing the Sentinel program?

Sure, Go to Menu, Manage Favorites, Find the System in your FL, Select Review/Edit System, Edit System Options, Select Priority ID Scan, Turn ON. Also must be one TG set to priority as well. (Accomplished by edit Department, edit Channel, select channel, Set Priority, select On/Off)
Can be done but Sentinel makes it all that much easier.

jjn555

Premium Subscriber
Sure, Go to Menu, Manage Favorites, Find the System in your FL, Select Review/Edit System, Edit System Options, Select Priority ID Scan, Turn ON. Also must be one TG set to priority as well. (Accomplished by edit Department, edit Channel, select channel, Set Priority, select On/Off)
Can be done but Sentinel makes it all that much easier.
THANK YOU! I've only had this radio for a few weeks and I'm learning something new (like this) nearly everyday. Thanks for making me smarter today.

Status
Not open for further replies.