Trunked Radio Programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdavidson

Premium Subscriber
I'm inputing systems into my two new Bearcat 996 and 396 radios. I notice that the system descriptions on the radio reference site doesn't necessarily match the descriptions on the scanners, so I'm not always sure what systems to set up in the scanners.

Example: what system set up do I use for Clark County/Las Vegas NV?

Thanks,

Jeff

DavidNVA

I'm not sure I completely understand your question - when you say the descriptions don't match are you referring to what is displayed on the scanner's LCD display? If so, that's because the display on the scanner is limited to the number of characters it can display. So you will have to edit the description/talk group name to fit.

Also, I'm not sure if you have seen this yet, http://www.grove-ent.com/SCANNERPROGRAMMING.htm but it should help get you started in the right direction.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
jdavidson said:
I'm inputing systems into my two new Bearcat 996 and 396 radios. I notice that the system descriptions on the radio reference site doesn't necessarily match the descriptions on the scanners, so I'm not always sure what systems to set up in the scanners.

Example: what system set up do I use for Clark County/Las Vegas NV?

Thanks,

Jeff
Clark County/Las Vegas NV Motorola Type 2 800 Standard. The owner's manual gives you a few points on recognizing the differences between a splinter system & a standard.
Clark County, in the database, is listed as "Motorola Type II SmartZone". The Type 2 is your first hint, the second is the 800mhz of the system frequencies. SmartZone is a Motorola trademark that does not enter into programming your 396. See the Wiki for an extended discussion of types. Your 996 would make use of the different sites (towers) to monitor the entire system.

The one that trips up the most people is confusing a system that has APCO-25 (digital) talkgroups, like this one, Grand Prairie, in my area, with a true P-25 standard system.
The system description for Grand Prairie is:
System Type:Motorola Type II SmartZone
System Voice:Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface
Some people see that on the system voice line & try to program those as P-25 (Motorola P-25). It does not track or receive reliably. It should be set up as a Motorola Type 2 800 Standard, just like your Clark County. The scanner will automatically figure out which talkgroups are digital and which are analog.

A true P-25 system like this one does need to be programmed as Motorola P-25 to receive & trunk track correctly. It's system description:
System Type:project 25 Standard
System Voice:APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive

There is a "Radio System Types" file in the 396 Yahoo group that covers many of the system type conversions as to what they should be in the scanner. An 'easier to read' 396 manual here.

ampulman

hiegtx A true P-25 system like [URL="http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=2324" said:
this[/URL] one does need to be programmed as Motorola P-25 to receive & trunk track correctly. It's system description:
System Type:project 25 Standard
System Voice:APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive

Very enlightening post. This has caused me much confusion. Tried to enter a system listed as your example (Project 25 standard, etc. as a P25 system. System frequencies were 500 mhz, not 800, plus it contained 3 band plans. After entering the control channels, tried to enter the band plans (into 396) but there was no option to do so.

Then tried it as a MOT UHF, but the band plan info template did not correspond to the info I had to enter (3 digits only).

Please take a look at: http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=4774 (Mercer County New Jersey)

Thanks.

AM

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ampulman said:
Very enlightening post. This has caused me much confusion. Tried to enter a system listed as your example (Project 25 standard, etc. as a P25 system. System frequencies were 500 mhz, not 800, plus it contained 3 band plans. After entering the control channels, tried to enter the band plans (into 396) but there was no option to do so.

Then tried it as a MOT UHF, but the band plan info template did not correspond to the info I had to enter (3 digits only).

Please take a look at: http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=4774 (Mercer County New Jersey)

Thanks.

AM
There are no talkgroups identified with that system, so I don't know if the offsets listed in the text (instead in a table as is customary like this one) are correct. Someone in the New Jersey forum, preferably using Trunker or similar, would be better able to answer that part. The system was only entered in the database this past July, so it's also possible something changed since the offset figures were posted.

However, for Uhf & Vhf, you don't use P-25; that only applies to the 800 band if I remember correctly. There are barely a handfull of the Uhf Moto systems in my area, none within range of my house. So I have not really concentrated on them much. The only ones in this area are at Federal facilities, usually lower power, just to cover the immediate facility itself.

If you set the Mercer system up as Uhf, you can enter the band plan info, but the offsets shown, 4096 & 8192, are not in the range the 396 likes (as you already discovered). It wants something in the 380-759 range. That's what makes me wonder.You might try 380 & see what happens. That seems to be a pretty common offset. If no luck, or erratic, try a different one. Or, as I suggested, as in the NJ forum if anyone has later info than July '06.

Status
Not open for further replies.