Trunked systems, id scan vs. id search?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Placid1

What decides when to use id scan vs. id search or is search always better?

captclint

Mentor
I always run IDseach for the reason stated above. It picks up all talk groups that I have identified, displaying alpha tags, plus any that I haven't ID'd with alpha tags.. You can lock out ones you have ID'd that you don't want to hear in BOTH ID search and IDscan.

DickH

ID SEARCH lets you hear ALL active talk groups.
ID SCAN lets you hear only the talk groups you have entered.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
No. No reason to be. On a trunked system (except LTR), the scanner just sits on a single frequency (the control channel) watching channel grants.

W2PMX

The difference between search and scan is about the same as the difference, in a conventional (non-trunked) scanner between searching a range of frequencies or scanning a list of frequencies. If you know the talkgroups you want to hear, use scan. If you want to see which talkgroups are active on the system, use search. The scanner will still "give you" the first talkgroup it sees, whether that's one you programmed in (scan) or the first one to use the system (search).

CrabbyMilton

If I have the scanner on after 10pm(past bedtime) I will put it i.d. search since most of the "daytime" frequencies are not very active so I can hear some more things that way.

ScannerWayne

Placid1,

IDSearch is great to use for a new system or a system that is constantly undergoing changes.

Once you are confidant that you've ID'd all the talkgroups in a system and you have your groups set up with various departments the way you want, then use the IDScan to listen to what you want.

Personally I alway use IDSearch on the two major systems in my area. One of the systems is, while not constantly undergoing changes, does add a channel or two in a year's time. By keeping IDSearch on all the time I am instantly aware of it when I see just a talkgroup pop up rather than an Alpha tag. Then I can investigate it and figure out who's using it and assign a Alpha tag to it.

So really it comes down to your personal preference and what you are trying to accomplish. If you're not interested in finding new talkgroups then use the IDScan. If you want to be aware of new talkgroups as they appear then use the IDSearch. Hope this helps.

Wayne...

mrwilson706

Premium Subscriber
I keep mine on ID Search. Even though I've entered every "known" ID into my systems, the interesting traffic is always the unknown ID's I've yet to discover. Once found, a simple save updates my system on the fly.

bcd396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.