• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Trunked Systems n' Repeater Input Freqs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_D

Hi all,

It's time for my newb question du jour:

I was reading this thread regarding the monitoring of repeater input frequencies for the purposes of isolating reception to local-only events. This sounds like something I'd like to do, but my state (Nevada) employs a trunked shared radio system. The RR DB indicates no repeater input frequencies for trunked systems. What does this mean? Do trunked systems not employ separate input frequencies? How might I isolate my scanner's reception to nearby transmissions?

Any advice fur da newb?

Thank you!

Dave

Dave_D

Aha!

And, for example, a trunked system with five frequencies: would it also have five input frequencies? Or, is a single input frequency calculated from, say, the system's primary control channel?

Thank you very much for your help! I greatly appreciate it.

Dave

KCChiefs9690

CQ DX
Dave_D said:
Aha!

And, for example, a trunked system with five frequencies: would it also have five input frequencies? Or, is a single input frequency calculated from, say, the system's primary control channel?

Thank you very much for your help! I greatly appreciate it.

Dave
Each output frequency also has an input frequency. For example, a 20 frequency trunked system has 20 input frequencies as well, each 45 MHz below the output frequency.

Hope this helps, :)

Dave_D

Yes, this helps lots!!! I can't wait to try this out....

Thanks a million!

Dave

Dave_D

Woops. One other question:

Should I program the "-45 MHz" input frequencies into a conventional or a trunked system/bank? On the one hand, it seems illogical to create a trunked bank where there is no control channel. But then, a conventional bank is without SIDs, and I really need these to filter out the unwanted fleet traffic, like taxicabs, etc.

Dave

KCChiefs9690

CQ DX
You don't need to program the input frequencies. All you need to monitor a trunked system, are the control channels and the output frequencies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Dave_D said:
Woops. One other question:

Should I program the "-45 MHz" input frequencies into a conventional or a trunked system/bank? On the one hand, it seems illogical to create a trunked bank where there is no control channel. But then, a conventional bank is without SIDs, and I really need these to filter out the unwanted fleet traffic, like taxicabs, etc.

Dave
If you really want to monitor trunked system input frequencies, program them as conventional, as a trunk tracking scanner won't make use of trunked input frequencies. You won't get talkgroups out of the input frequencies even if they were programmed as trunked.

Dave_D

Rats!

This is not good, given that our statewide radio system is shared by many, many organizations. Without talkgroup ID filtering, I'll receive all manner of government and taxicab chatter. I may try it anyways, though I'm sure the unwanted chatter will defeat the purpose of isolating reception to my neighborhood. We'll see....

Thank you for your help!

Dave

KCChiefs9690

CQ DX
Dave_D said:
Rats!

This is not good, given that our statewide radio system is shared by many, many organizations. Without talkgroup ID filtering, I'll receive all manner of government and taxicab chatter. I may try it anyways, though I'm sure the unwanted chatter will defeat the purpose of isolating reception to my neighborhood. We'll see....

Thank you for your help!

Dave
You can always lock out the users that you don't want to hear. What scanner do you have? Because most have a "closed mode", where you can program talkgroups that you want to hear, and not hear all the other crap.

JohnnyGalaga

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Will your scanner allow you to program the control channel outputs and the voice channel inputs as a trunking system?

car2back

KCChiefs9690 said:
You can always lock out the users that you don't want to hear. What scanner do you have? Because most have a "closed mode", where you can program talkgroups that you want to hear, and not hear all the other crap.
how can he lock out unwanted TGs while monitoring the input freqs of the Trunked radio system in conventional mode? :confused:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
JohnnyGalaga said:
Will your scanner allow you to program the control channel outputs and the voice channel inputs as a trunking system?
No, you cannot program trunked system repeater inputs as part of a trunking system. Only the output frequencies can be used for trunking. The inputs would have to be monitored as conventional channels only.

Dave_D

KCChiefs9690 said:
FWIW, my scanner is a spiffy new Uniden BCT15.

I've gone ahead and programmed the input freqs into a conventional system and, no surprise, the volume of unwanted communications has dropped. Of the few signals received, it's kinda cool knowing that they're nearby (more or less as determined by signal strength & quality), but then there's no telling who's talking. By the sounds of things, it's almost exclusively police cruisers, but I really miss seeing "Police/Sheriff" in the display, along with all of the other scrolling goodies.

Perhaps I'll use this conventional system as a general proximity alarm and then enable/disable the trunked system manually when I want the IDs or both sides of the conversation.

BTW, would it be technically feasible for a scanner to grab the talkgroup information for a repeater input frequency from the respective trunked system's control channel?

Dave

Last edited:

b52hbuff

Dave_D said:
Perhaps I'll use this conventional system as a general proximity alarm and then enable/disable the trunked system manually when I want the IDs or both sides of the conversation.

BTW, would it be technically feasible for a scanner to grab the talkgroup information for a repeater input frequency from the respective trunked system's control channel?

Dave
It is a very poor proximity detector. In a conventional repeatered system with a single user per frequency, at least you know who is nearby when you receive a signal on the repeater input.

On a TRS with hundreds of users, do you really care that the dog catcher just keyed up next to you??

Status
Not open for further replies.