SDRTrunk Trunked vs. Non-trunked with SDRTrunk

stonesfanmk

Is it possible to listen to non-trunked radio (FM radio broadcast 104.5 for example) using SDRTrunk? I can monitor P25 phase II with no problem. I tried the channel setup with NBFM in the playlist editor but just got static. I would also like to monitor railroads when they come through. Thanks in advance for any input/help.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Yes...
Sdr dongle
Sample rate 2.4 (Anything high gave me issues)

You would need to create a new Playlist
(RailRoad)
Select that Playlist

Channels tab
New/NBFM

System ( name anything like Railroad)
Site (give a # , like 1 for BNSF / 2 for UP
Name (name for the current frequency you are setting up , like BNSF66 yard)

Source

Frequency (example 161.1)
Preferred tuner ( used if you are going to have multiple sdrs plugged in)

Decoder (NBFM)

channel bandwidth (12.5)
Squelch threshold (-50) you set the Squelch for each frequency once you are up and running
Talkgroup to Assign ( this is important for setting aliases and not getting static, you will number each added frequency 1-*)
Autostart(slide if you want the Playlist to load when you start sdrtrunk)
Click save

Go to aliases tab
New alias list (name it something like Railroad )

Click alias drop menu, select Railroad

To the left click New
Click the new alias

Alias ( enter the name you gave the frequency BNSF66 yard)
Group (example - BNSF)
Listen (slide it)
Record( slide it if you want to record)

Identifiers( here you click Add Identifier, NBFM, choose talkgroup.)
NBFM Talkgroup ( here you enter the number you added in Channel tab "talkgrouo Assign" so example 1)

Click save.

You will repeat for each frequency you add
20240613-105935.jpg

20240613-105949.jpg

stonesfanmk

I'm so sorry for taking so long to respond, but my older dual boot laptop with SDRTrunk crashed (probably hard drive issue). I really appreciate your rapid and very detailed response! I've got to install everything on my newer laptop to try your instructions. I'll follow-up later, again, thanks!!!

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Is it possible to listen to non-trunked radio (FM radio broadcast 104.5 for example) using SDRTrunk? I can monitor P25 phase II with no problem. I tried the channel setup with NBFM in the playlist editor but just got static. I would also like to monitor railroads when they come through. Thanks in advance for any input/help.
Forget about FM radio though. That is WBFM (wideband FM).

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
I'm so sorry for taking so long to respond, but my older dual boot laptop with SDRTrunk crashed (probably hard drive issue). I really appreciate your rapid and very detailed response! I've got to install everything on my newer laptop to try your instructions. I'll follow-up later, again, thanks!!!
Just did a quick video of how I set mine up. Listening to it I Forgot how calls played in stereo (2 channels) was awful 😄

Using trunking recorder is definitely a plus, easy listening, listen anywhere, and find calls/situations to got back and listen too

Here's my unprofessional video, I'm sure there a better way, but it's how I set mine up

Sdrtrunk NBFM Playlist creation