Trunker Usage_hex Data Field Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa3ysu

Premium Subscriber
I have been watching a local Motorola UHF Type II system for a while and have a question about the results I am seeing logged in the Usage_hex field of the Groups file. The system I am watching has several analog and several encrypted talkgroups, and I have also seen emergency calls. In looking at the Usage_hex field of the group file, I find that there are 5 different values that have been recorded for the talkgroups. They are 0, 2, 8, 9, and a.

I reviewed the trunker documentation, and 3 past posts in the trunker mail list on this topic, and I believe that the list below represents the 5 type of conversations that have occurred for these talkgroups:

0 = analog
2 = DES encrypted
8 = encrypted Astro or other digital
9 = (encrypted Astro or other digital)+(emergency)
a = (encrypted Astro or other digital)+(DES encrypted)

Could someone comment if this looks correct and I am interpreting the documentation correctly?

It would appear to me that this list would be all the possibilities for a Motorola system. Does this look correct?

0 = analog
1 = emergency
2 = DES encrypted
3 = (DES encrypted)+(emergency)
4 = Astro or other digital
5 = (Astro or other digital)+(emergency)
6 = (Astro or other digital)+(DES encrypted)
7 = (Astro or other digital)+(emergency)+(DES encrypted)
b = (encrypted Astro or other digital)+(emergency)+(DES encrypted) c = (encrypted Astro or other digital)+(astro or other digital)

Many thanks for the help!

Kel

richster

wa3ysu said:
I have been watching a local Motorola UHF Type II system for a while and have a question about the results I am seeing logged in the Usage_hex field of the Groups file. The system I am watching has several analog and several encrypted talkgroups, and I have also seen emergency calls. In looking at the Usage_hex field of the group file, I find that there are 5 different values that have been recorded for the talkgroups. They are 0, 2, 8, 9, and a.

I reviewed the trunker documentation, and 3 past posts in the trunker mail list on this topic, and I believe that the list below represents the 5 type of conversations that have occurred for these talkgroups:

0 = analog
2 = DES encrypted

Could someone comment if this looks correct and I am interpreting the documentation correctly?

It would appear to me that this list would be all the possibilities for a Motorola system. Does this look correct?

0 = analog
1 = emergency
2 = DES encrypted
3 = (DES encrypted)+(emergency)
4 = Astro or other digital
5 = (Astro or other digital)+(emergency)
6 = (Astro or other digital)+(DES encrypted)
7 = (Astro or other digital)+(emergency)+(DES encrypted)
b = (encrypted Astro or other digital)+(emergency)+(DES encrypted) c = (encrypted Astro or other digital)+(astro or other digital)

Many thanks for the help!

Kel

Hi Kel,

The correct status bits for a MOT type II system are listed here in the WIKI. This is GOSPEL.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Motorola_Type_II

ADDITION:

Also Trunker does not record the status bit a particular TG has used. Trunker will display the status bit at the end of the TG on the screen.

For example if a TG ( oh let's say TG 16 or F in HEX ) on the system is infact digitally encrypted, it will appear on the screen as F8 in hex or 168 in decimal.

The numbers (in hex) you are seeing in the USAGE_hex field is just the POST COUNT, or how many times the TG has had traffic on it.

Regards,
Richster.

Last edited:

wa3ysu

Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify, I am not referring 'directly' to the status bits or the 'USAGE_HITS' field. I am referring to the 'USAGE_HEX' field of the groups data file that trunker can save.

Here is the description of the USAGE_HEX field from the Trunker documentation:

UASAGE_HEX:
6 individual bits indicating participation of this entity in a particular type of conversation:
#01 Emergency Call
#02 DES Encrypted Call
#04 Astro or other Digital Call
#08 Encrypted Astro or other Digital Call

I found 2 past dicsussions on the trunker mail list that talk about these values being cumulative, which I beleive would mean a value of 5 in this field would mean that the talkgroup has had both Astro or digital traffic and an emergency call on it.

Am I on the right track?

richster

wa3ysu said:
Just to clarify, I am not referring 'directly' to the status bits or the 'USAGE_HITS' field. I am referring to the 'USAGE_HEX' field of the groups data file that trunker can save.

Ahh yes sorry I totally misunderstood.

wa3ysu said:
Here is the description of the USAGE_HEX field from the Trunker documentation:

UASAGE_HEX:
6 individual bits indicating participation of this entity in a particular type of conversation:
#01 Emergency Call
#02 DES Encrypted Call
#04 Astro or other Digital Call
#08 Encrypted Astro or other Digital Call

I found 2 past dicsussions on the trunker mail list that talk about these values being cumulative, which I beleive would mean a value of 5 in this field would mean that the talkgroup has had both Astro or digital traffic and an emergency call on it.

Am I on the right track?

You are absolutley correct!!

Regards,
Richster.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
The usage field is set on a binary level, and not controlled in hex (hex is used simply for viewing in the TXT file). Whether a certain type of traffic is used or not is signified by either one/yes or zero/no in the appropriate digit's place.

0000 (No modifier which is basically a standard call; ie., analogr)
0001 Emerg
0010 DES
1000 ASTRO

I don't remember what 4 or 0100 signifies.

Status
Not open for further replies.