Trunker vs. HP-1 Extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

busunlimited

Premium Subscriber
I am considering purchasing an HP-1 with the Extreme option. Will Extreme do most (all) of the functions that Trunker does? For example I do not think Extreme provides system ID. What would I not have it I get Extreme instead of Trunker. Since Trunker requires a rather advanced hookup, if I could get most or all of the features with Extreme I almost certainly would buy it.

lep

I don't have Trunker but I do have two HP-1s, both with the Extreme edition. Yes, in the Activity Log of Trunking Discovery the Sys ID and WACN are displayed. Nothing complicated at all just a few 'screen taps' to display. However, understanding what the items in the "LOG" mean is another matter not completely documented in the Uniden manual. But, learning more about the trunking sytem is part of the fun!

LEP

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
And you can use the output of the HP-1E to feed UniTrunker (basic support) if needed. The only downside is the display on the HP is tied up with decoding.

SCPD

QRT
Any advantage depends on your needs. If you occasionally need to closely examine a trunking system with your HP-1E - using Unitrunker will help. Beware that EDACS 9600 decoding does not work through the raw data output (but other modes including EDACS 4800 work fine).

If you want to do full time detailed logging of a site, you're better off using an older, cheaper radio for the job and leave your HP-1 free for listening.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The HP1's decode log details are limited. For example, it will say "Iden:0" "Iden:1" etc., showing you that there are various band plans, but not what the band plans are. (And the conversion they make in the text files that make up the log is incorrect - they do bad math on the data the system provides.) Other things it doesn't show is neighboring sites, alternate control channels, etc. If you're looking for just the basic data like channel grants, radio IDs, talkgroup IDs, etc., you'll get it. If you want more detailed data like I've described above, you're going to want to use something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.