Trunking and USB Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

psinewe

Is there a scanner on the makret (trunking) that is particulalry well known for USB cable connections and programming?

LEH

Premium Subscriber
The PSR 500 and 600 come with a USB cable.

The newer Uniden models will work with a USB adapter for their serial cable. Uniden even sells a USB cable on their web site.

The same holds true for the RS scanners.

The GRE's seem to be a bit faster when loading, but then they are new scanners and probably built to support the faster speeds from USB.

Ease of programming will vary, depending on your skills with a computer.

None of the scanner programming software I've used has been able to automatically detect my USB cable comm port. I have to go find the value and set it manually. Not a real difficult task, but even with step by step instructions, it has been beyond some folks on this board.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
To add, all trunked scanners use an RS232 interface. The GRE cable creates a "virtual" RS232 (COM) port. The Unidens USB-1 cable works the same way. AFAIK there are no problems using either brand's models with the supplied drivers on current operating systems and with the existing scanner software programs.

psinewe

What about the GRE PSR-400 Scanner. I have a 780XLT that I am having a helluiva time programming. Kinda want a new model anyway.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The wiki for the 400 says it too uses a USB cable for programming.

However, let's back up a minute- you say you are having problems programming a 780 (which is relatively straightforward, when you compare it to a 996). Precisely what problems are you having?

You are aware that ProScan can work with a 780, and download data from the RadioReference database, since you are a premium subscriber? The link for the package is:

http://www.proscan.org/index.htm

More specifics - like what system(s) you are trying to program (look them up in the database, and supply the URL) and what your problems are would be helpful. If you are having USB issues; they seem to often come down to 2 basic things;

a. Not having up to date drivers from the manufacturer's website - or -
b. Trying to assign a COM port that really isn't available, since something else is using it.

??? 73 Mike

Last edited:

psinewe

I am using an XP laptop, no serial connection. Bought a KeySpan USB converter. The computer regonizes it (the keyspan converter), it shows it as being com 7. But no matter whos software I use, it indicates that I have a hardware problem. Kinda at a lose what to do next.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Some software may not recognize COM7 as a valid port, particularly if you're using older software. What software did you try? Did you try manually pointing the software to COM7? Is COM7 being used by something else (unlikely but worth checking)?

You would have these issues regardless if you were trying to work with one of the GRE scanners or the 780, so might as well tackle these now 73 Mike

psinewe

I have tried several softwares, they seem to point to it being a hardware issue. I've tried proscan, ARC 780, a couple more. Thye let you point to com 7. The device hardwareindicates it is com 7. They all seem to say its not reading. I would if I am doing something wrong with the scanner is self. Maybe I can take a photo of the screen to see if someone thinks they see something wrong.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I seem to recall reading something - someone please chime in here - that when you're using USB software like this, you have to start up the scanner and USB port in a very specific order, or it won't recognize it properly. I'm fortunate enough that my desktop has 2 serial ports - anyone? 73 Mike

psinewe

Here is the screen, I doudt this has anything to do with it.

Attachments

• DSC_1621.jpg
    DSC_1621.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 160

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
None of the scanner programming software I've used has been able to automatically detect my USB cable comm port. I have to go find the value and set it manually. Not a real difficult task, but even with step by step instructions, it has been beyond some folks on this board.
Latest PSREdit will auto detect USB serial port.

psinewe said:
What about the GRE PSR-400 Scanner.
It comes with a USB cable.

Patch42

I am using an XP laptop, no serial connection. Bought a KeySpan USB converter. The computer regonizes it (the keyspan converter), it shows it as being com 7. But no matter whos software I use, it indicates that I have a hardware problem. Kinda at a lose what to do next.
Go to the KeySpan web site and be sure you have the latest drivers for your converter. Update them if needed. Having it load as COM7 is kind of odd if you don't have any other COM ports.

Click on Control/System/Hardware/DeviceManager. Then expand the Ports section and double-click on the USB serial port. I couldn't swear they'll all work this way, but mine has a PortSettings tab on which there is an Advanced... button. If you have one of those, click it and at the top of the next screen you may find a drop-down that will let you change the COM port number. If you get this, you might try something like COM3, assuming the DeviceManager Ports section didn't indicate a COM3 already in use. I wouldn't mess with the other settings.

Hope this helps.

qlajlu

Silent Key
psinewe, when I first got my BC780XLTs waaaayyyy back in 2001, I used WinScan780 as the program to help me load my 780s. My connection ran through a serial connection and before the computer would/could talk to the scanner I had to change the baud rate (transfer speed) on the scanner. The 780 defaults to 9600 BPS and the programming software was preset to communicate at 19200 BPS.

Now this may not even be part of the equation in solving your issues, but it might be worth looking at. I think UPMan would be able to answer that question.

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I should have checked GRE page

The PSR-300 and 400 don't come with the cable only the PSR-500 and 600 do.
Thanks Jerri, that's a bummer! :(

In reality that makes the 5/600 price at $464.99 instead of $499.99 and consider this..the 96/2096 are still normally priced at $499.99 without cable. How bout it RS, get with it.

psinewe

Here are some more details (by the way, thanks to all for your help, very much appreciated)

Lets take Proscan. I hook everything up. Pro Sca under comm set-up shows only a couple comm ports, 64 and 7. 7 is the post that the USB is connected to. Now, if I go into hardware in windows and change the port to say port 2 (port 3 is taken). Then proscan only lets me pick 64 or 2. Which tells me, Proscan is properly detecting the port and maybe the keyspan converter. But that's all the further I can get.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
IIRC, the two main causes for problems with connecting are not using the correct cable and not having the serial port speed set correctly (software and scanner must match).

I have never actually programmed or used a 780, though, so have no direct experience to draw from (that model is waaaay before my time with Uniden).

Status
Not open for further replies.