• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Trunking code plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

N6RDT

Premium Subscriber
The last 3 800 mhz radios I read, I was able to edit and write the conventional codeplug fine. However, It has a trunking plug in it but the software won't let me edit and write to the radio. They are 3 different radios this occured on. Any ideas how to get it to work?

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
What model radio are you using? Are you trying to program the trunk system or just trying to enter conventional channels? Conventional should be just fine to program and load to the radio, Trunking Systems require a special Key File known to Motorola folks as a System Key. Yes there are ways around it and tricks monitor trunked systems on Two-Way radios. If you are Trying to monitor a Trunked System you can find info on how to do that and a lot more at Batwing Laboratories just search the site and you should find many helpful pointers and tid-bits. A few warnings if you want to program a trunked system 1. If done incorrectly you could cause problems for officials using the system, 2. Your radio can be inhibited and basically turned into a brick if they see your radio on there system, 3. If you plan on using a trunked system for communications ILLEGALLY they will find you and charge you. If you are only trying to program conventional channels none of the above applies, just please respond with a little more info in order for me or one of the members to help you properly.

Hope everything works out,
Bob

N6RDT

Premium Subscriber
Code plug

Basically, When I read the radio. I programmed the conventional code plug in. But it is trunking capable. I wanna make sure my software is not an issue. I have programed LTR before for my company and It programmed fine. Even if a "key " is required, There should already be one in there because the trunking codeplug is already in it. Further. I should be able to edit whatever I want on the software It just wont write to radio or allow access to sysem without the key. But it shouldn't prohibit me from editing it on the software.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Basically, When I read the radio. I programmed the conventional code plug in. But it is trunking capable. I wanna make sure my software is not an issue. I have programed LTR before for my company and It programmed fine. Even if a "key " is required, There should already be one in there because the trunking codeplug is already in it. Further. I should be able to edit whatever I want on the software It just wont write to radio or allow access to sysem without the key. But it shouldn't prohibit me from editing it on the software.

That's now how it works on most Motorola radio codeplugs. Each time you want to edit anything that has to do with a trunking system you have to select tools from the munu bar in CPS and then select load system key. Select the key you need (every system has a different key) then load it. You have to do this every time you start CPS. Now you will be able to edit all trunking parameters for that particular system.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Even if a "key " is required, There should already be one in there because the trunking codeplug is already in it.

You can read a Motorola trunking radio without the system key, you cannot edit trunking system parameters or write to the radio without the key. Reading the radio does not provide you with the key that was used to write to the radio in the first place. The system key is separate from the codeplug, and must be obtained from the system administrator.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
That's now how it works on most Motorola radio codeplugs. Each time you want to edit anything that has to do with a trunking system you have to select tools from the munu bar in CPS and then select load system key. Select the key you need (every system has a different key) then load it. You have to do this every time you start CPS. Now you will be able to edit all trunking parameters for that particular system.

If you set the path to the system key directory, you do not need to load the keys every time you start it.

Status
Not open for further replies.