• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Trunking Free Scan on G-Series.

What do you think about this new function?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

radio3353

Hope not. One of my side buttons is depressed, doesn't work. Only top big one pushes in. Can't do the reboot thing anymore by pressing all 3 "buttons"

How old is your unit? The G4 and G5 have 2-year warranties. I just bought a G5 from Ray's Pagers and he threw in a 5-year factory warranty at no extra charge.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
How old is your unit? The G4 and G5 have 2-year warranties. I just bought a G5 from Ray's Pagers and he threw in a 5-year factory warranty at no extra charge.
May 2017. I don't even use that button so I don't know how it got so "used" and pressed in. Got mine from Rays along with the charger. No big deal.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I see the people talking about it being NEEDED in TG-scan and not just TG monitor. If there is a Whitelist/Blacklist option, the way I'm reading it, it would be a simple programming change to your pager. Enter the system as TG-Monitor and whitelist the TGs you want to monitor, that way it acts just like TG-Scan with the option to hold. They've made an effort to meet the needs of a group that comprises less than 1% of their sales, be happy with it and adapt it to your needs.

nyscan

Where was it said that the proposed changes were for just TG-Monitor and not TG-Scan?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Where was it said that the proposed changes were for just TG-Monitor and not TG-Scan?
Looking back, it appears that the entire belief of it not being available in TG-scan was started by @hiddenrun in post 3 or 4 of the thread. Based on the official Unication reps' posts, I do not see that it isn't.

pointman1177

As someone in LE, I recently picked up the G4 to use in scan to monitor other agencies not on my department's programmed radios. Last night would have been a prime example of how useful these features would be to me. An area agency had a break in at one of their big box stores. As information was being put out other agencies were tying up the G4 with unrelated traffic stops and car accidents. I missed some of the important information that was put out as a result. The same group who broke into the big box store went to two other stores of the same company in different cities nearby.

I love how fast and how well it can scan but being able to hold onto a specific channel for an incident would be appreciated. If I wasnt worried about sensory overload I would end up purchasing a second G4 because I like it so much for only having it a few days. I dont use the record button or reset button which are both on the side. I think for those who don't use it as a traditional pager it would be a nice option to be able to program those buttons to "Hold" onto a channel with a click, then release the channel by repeating the same. Just a thought.

Thank you for actively asking for other's opinions of your product, I think it says a lot about a company.

radio3353

Looking back, it appears that the entire belief of it not being available in TG-scan was started by @hiddenrun in post 3 or 4 of the thread. Based on the official Unication reps' posts, I do not see that it isn't.

Since Unication asked for input, I think users were just being preemptive and alerting Unication to our desire to have the new features available in TG-Scan, and not saying that there was a belief that Unication wasn't considering it.

stevecch

Unication Representative
Unication Representative
I believe u can edit it. Can u see my post about 2 tone and MDC decode and the MDC contact book Steve?

So, do you mean you would like to monitor 2-Tone & MDC in the same knob? What is your usage scenario? If you can let me know how you want to use the functions, I can know it is just a programming setting problem or the function that the pagers don't support now. You can direct to steve_chen@uni.com.tw and I will answer your question with my best.

Thanks!

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
As someone in LE, I recently picked up the G4 to use in scan to monitor other agencies not on my department's programmed radios. Last night would have been a prime example of how useful these features would be to me. An area agency had a break in at one of their big box stores. As information was being put out other agencies were tying up the G4 with unrelated traffic stops and car accidents. I missed some of the important information that was put out as a result. The same group who broke into the big box store went to two other stores of the same company in different cities nearby.

I love how fast and how well it can scan but being able to hold onto a specific channel for an incident would be appreciated. If I wasnt worried about sensory overload I would end up purchasing a second G4 because I like it so much for only having it a few days. I dont use the record button or reset button which are both on the side. I think for those who don't use it as a traditional pager it would be a nice option to be able to program those buttons to "Hold" onto a channel with a click, then release the channel by repeating the same. Just a thought.

Thank you for actively asking for other's opinions of your product, I think it says a lot about a company.
Having had a G4 for many years i quickly learned that programming individual important TG in their own knob position can and will come in quite handy. Now that you have experienced this you can reprogram your G4 to have those important TG that you want to park on and listen to in a knob position of their own and not miss important traffic.
That is until a TG Hold feature is enabled. Which we hope it will.

N6ML

The way I read it, it'd not be "for" either of those - rather it'd be an *additional* "receiving mode", called "Trunking-Free Scan", that you'd select for a knob position *instead of* one of those.

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
The way I read it, it'd not be "for" either of those - rather it'd be an *additional* "receiving mode", called "Trunking-Free Scan", that you'd select for a knob position *instead of* one of those.
That'll work for me!

pointman1177

Having had a G4 for many years i quickly learned that programming individual important TG in their own knob position can and will come in quite handy. Now that you have experienced this you can reprogram your G4 to have those important TG that you want to park on and listen to in a knob position of their own and not miss important traffic.
That is until a TG Hold feature is enabled. Which we hope it will.

This is what i plan to do with my remaining knob position, however right now I have a use for each knob position based on region in my metro area depending where I may be working each day.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
This is what i plan to do with my remaining knob position, however right now I have a use for each knob position based on region in my metro area depending where I may be working each day.
What you could do is set up a zone for each region you work in.
Then make knob 1 scan, and this gives you 7 more knob positions to set priority channels. Just a thought. But ultimately its your device and you know your usage habits best. I am sure you will device an excellent programming strategy and make good use of that device.
I use my G4 for scanning and recording audio and when i need to go to a dedicated channel i go to my KNG2-P800 as it has the ability to truly be RX only as well. So best of both worlds.
But having a TG hold feature would also be amazing.

msingewald

Premium Subscriber
The only problem with using zones is that you cannot do anything while the radio is receiving traffic. So if you need to switch zones to follow the action, you are screwed. Unless you program a blank channel in each zone.

stevecch

Unication Representative
Unication Representative
Hello Guys,

Here is the Q&A about the Trunking Free Scan function. I hope these Q&A can solve your questions asked previously.

Thank you!

Trunking Free Scan:

Q1. Does this new function work in TG-Scan or TG Monitor mode?
Ans.
It is the whole new function mode on the pager. The user has to program one knob with "Trunking Free Scan" on the pager. This function supports the pager to save the TGID when scanning. The user can also program the TGID he already knows to the scan list. On the scan list, the user can do the nuisance delete or save TGID he wants to listen.

Q2. Do the nuisance delete is temporary or permanent?
Ans.
The user can do both of the settings in the PPS depends on his demand.
Temporary: Switch knob or power off the pager will reset the nuisance delete list.
Permanent: The user has to go to scan the list setting in the pager or change the setting from the PPS.

Q3. Can it be controlled by the hard key since people won’t always look at the screen?
Ans.
Yes, Unication heard some user’s voice. We are making it be able to work with the hard key (Play Key and PTT).
The detailed information will be released with the beta version.

Q4. Multi-Sites scan support?
Ans.
Yes, the user can choose the multiple sites he wants to scan in the scan list.
Note: It needs to work with the “stay time” parameter setting in the PPS.

Q5. Are these features to be available via a firmware update, or a completely new G-Series model?
Ans.
It will be available via a firmware update.

Q6. ETA on this new feature being added?
Ans.
Sorry, but I can not understand what is ETA. Any information would like to add?

Q7. Will this function affect the great receiving performance the pager has now?
Ans.
It will not affect the performance of the pager. But if the user is scanning A site, but a message comes from B site, it would not be received.

Q8. When does the Trunking Free Scan release?
Ans.
Unication plan to release the beta test version before February.

Steve

mharris

Premium Subscriber
Hello Guys,

Here is the Q&A about the Trunking Free Scan function. I hope these Q&A can solve your questions asked previously.

Thank you!

Trunking Free Scan:

Q1. Does this new function work in TG-Scan or TG Monitor mode?
Ans.
It is the whole new function mode on the pager. The user has to program one knob with "Trunking Free Scan" on the pager. This function supports the pager to save the TGID when scanning. The user can also program the TGID he already knows to the scan list. On the scan list, the user can do the nuisance delete or save TGID he wants to listen.

Q2. Do the nuisance delete is temporary or permanent?
Ans.
The user can do both of the settings in the PPS depends on his demand.
Temporary: Switch knob or power off the pager will reset the nuisance delete list.
Permanent: The user has to go to scan the list setting in the pager or change the setting from the PPS.

Q3. Can it be controlled by the hard key since people won’t always look at the screen?
Ans.
Yes, Unication heard some user’s voice. We are making it be able to work with the hard key (Play Key and PTT).
The detailed information will be released with the beta version.

Q4. Multi-Sites scan support?
Ans.
Yes, the user can choose the multiple sites he wants to scan in the scan list.
Note: It needs to work with the “stay time” parameter setting in the PPS.

Q5. Are these features to be available via a firmware update, or a completely new G-Series model?
Ans.
It will be available via a firmware update.

Q6. ETA on this new feature being added?
Ans.
Sorry, but I can not understand what is ETA. Any information would like to add?

Q7. Will this function affect the great receiving performance the pager has now?
Ans.
It will not affect the performance of the pager. But if the user is scanning A site, but a message comes from B site, it would not be received.

Q8. When does the Trunking Free Scan release?
Ans.
Unication plan to release the beta test version before February.

Steve
Thanks for the information, Steve. One question, will users be able to make changes from the menu while a conversation is active?

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Wow, this sounds fantastic!! Thanks for the update.

ETA is Estimated Time of Arrival, i.e. when will this be available, which you covered in Q8.

msingewald

Premium Subscriber
ETA is estimated time of arrival. You answered that in question 8. I’m curious how the stay time parameter might affect the site selection, but very excited to try this update. It should add the features I have been hoping for.

I would love to help test if you would like another beta tester.

Status
Not open for further replies.