Trunking Radio Scanner Vehicle Antenna Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kbrock

Premium Subscriber
Hello. I just need some suggestions from you guys.

I have a Radio Shack PRO-163 scanner installed in my Xterra right now for monitoring EMS/Fire frequencies. Right now I have a rubber duck antenna (Diamond RH77CA) attached to it. It's just hooked up on a window mount. I plan to actually mount this antenna and a CB antenna when the warm weather returns. I notice the scanner radio has trouble connecting sometimes. I don't know if the CB radio antenna is interfering with it or if it's too weak. Either way I would like an antenna that is strong, longer, and not so much a rubber duck. It'll be mounted next to the CB antenna so hopefully interference was not a problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Links??

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hi Kbrock and welcome to RR.

I have a trunk lip mounted Austin Spectra antenna for my scanner usage. It's a multi-band scanner antenna and I bought it in 2006 and have used it on various cars since I got it. It will outperform the rubber duck easily and will take highway speeds and trips through the car wash without problems. The cost of this antenna is in the higher price range compared to others but I am happy with it and would recommend it to anyone that wants to get better reception.

I think most of the better known scanner and radio dealers on the internet carry this item and I suggest you do a Google search for Austin Spectra Antenna and check them out.

I hope this helps.

Russell

troymail

Silent Key
To be honest, it depends on what you're trying to monitor and which ones you're having trouble with. There are some cases where the antenna isn't going to help all that much.

I'd hate to see you spend money on something that isn't going to help (been there, done that myself).

Kbrock

Premium Subscriber
Take a look this Larsen tri band antenna. I have used it for several years and it works very well in the ranges it is designed for.

https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo150-450-800-1050.html

I could try that one. I just worry about it connecting to the connector. The one I'm buying is this one:
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/drbandkgb/2009CB001.jpg

Also with that big part towards the top. Makes me wonder if it wouldn't snap once the truck gets on the highway. :-/

Kbrock

Premium Subscriber
To be honest, it depends on what you're trying to monitor and which ones you're having trouble with. There are some cases where the antenna isn't going to help all that much.

Mostly Fire and EMS frequencies. I don't know anything else about them really. I just fight fire and run ambulances. The radio stuff is out of my league lol.

Also the NOAA weather radio channels. I was getting annoyed the other day. The radio kept cutting in and out and that's really not good when you're out and about in a large tornado producing storm system (as I was yesterday). A few funnels did come down but nowhere near me lol.

Kbrock

Premium Subscriber
Hi Kbrock and welcome to RR.

I have a trunk lip mounted Austin Spectra antenna for my scanner usage. It's a multi-band scanner antenna and I bought it in 2006 and have used it on various cars since I got it. It will outperform the rubber duck easily and will take highway speeds and trips through the car wash without problems. The cost of this antenna is in the higher price range compared to others but I am happy with it and would recommend it to anyone that wants to get better reception.

I think most of the better known scanner and radio dealers on the internet carry this item and I suggest you do a Google search for Austin Spectra Antenna and check them out.

I hope this helps.

Russell

I'll have to Google it and see what it looks like. I appreciate the suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.