Trunking & Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

t13one12

I have an EDACs system I'd like to monitor. The system has 3 sites with 2 being overlapped by a larger simulcast (Site 01 has 50 mile radius, Site 02 has 10 mile, and Site 03 has 5 mile). If the Simulcast covers my area and the other two areas as well would I need to have all 3 sites programmed? Or can I trim down to just one site. I wouldn't be in range of Site 3 and I'm just within range of Site 2.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
In a simulcast system all sites have the same frequencies. If all three sites are simulcast then all three sites would be using the same frequencies. This system would have severe simulcast overlap issues.

t13one12

Site 01 states Simulcast in the database and the other two don't. I'm relatively new to trunking so I apologize if this is a really simplistic question. I thought I read somewhere in the wiki that radios associate to one site or another and if there is not a radio of a particular talkgroup on the specific site that you program you wouldn't hear it.

The site in question is Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The link to the database is: Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Trunking System, New York, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

I was hoping to cut down on all 3 sites being programmed due to some tips I saw under the BCD536xp threads.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Radios affiliate with a site but when they are simulcast all sites have the same frequency so it doesn't matter. All sites get the same information. Do all three sites have the same identical frequencies?

t13one12

The three sites show different frequencies in the database but for some reason Site 01 still says Simulcast. I'm not sure when the 3rd site got added because it is atop the Freedom tower which clearly just finished being built in terms of the exterior this past year. I may need to move this to the New York area discussion for better advice I guess. I appreciate your input thus far though!

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
If the sites have different frequencies then you would need to enter those into the scanner. Check with the guys in the NY discussion area. They should be able to give you specific information. Good Luck.

JoeyC

The only site you would generally need to listen to is the Simulcast site. The other 2 sites are probably for enhanced coverage somewhere in those 2 specific areas only and maybe even for a specific user on the system limited to that area. The simulcast site overlaps them anyway. The only reasons you would need to listen to those other 2 small sites are because either your radio in the location it is has lousy reception of the simulcast site but great coverage of the small site OR you are trying to hear a local talkgroup that is not carried on the simulcast. As was suggested, listeners in NYC will have a better handle on how the 2 minor sites are utilized.

Status
Not open for further replies.