Trunking Systems: Group vs Private talkgroup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKaiserling

Using a WS1040, and reading the "easier to read" manual, it says the following:
Group - will only monitor Talk Group radio traffic on the specified Talk Group ID.
Private - will only monitor private radio traffic on the specified Private ID (or Radio ID).

I'm not sure what the difference is, or if digital radios are actually capable of radio-to-radio communications on a talkgroup, and I'm not able to find anything on the wiki.
Thanks in advance

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Group - will only monitor Talk Group radio traffic on the specified Talk Group ID.
Private - will only monitor private radio traffic on the specified Private ID (or Radio ID).

I'm not sure what the difference is, or if digital radios are actually capable of radio-to-radio communications on a talkgroup,

Yes they are radio to radio calls on the TG

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Let's clear a few things up, shall we?

A Talkgroup (aka Group) is a resource that carries radio traffic to many users at once. One radio transmits, and anyone listening to that talkgroup hears the transmissions. This is the default method of communication on the majority of trunked systems.

A Private Call is a one-to-one resource, where radios can talk directly to each other without anyone else being involved. While private calls do utilize the voice channels of a trunked system, they do not take place on a talkgroup.

There is a bit more to it than simply "group means fire department, etc, and private means captain 33", as Captain 33 is the radio/user ID/alias, and that radio would potentially be capable of both group and private calls.

Kaleier1

In digital radio there is also All Call where a radio transmits to all talk groups. This would be used for example when there is an emergency at a company and the security department does an All Call to tell everyone on all talk groups to evacuate or take some sort of action.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
I think that if you actually enter a 'private TG' (which as noted above is not a TG at all) what you're really doing is flagging a certain radio ID#. You may find over time that certain radio ID numbers are attached to particular vehicles, aircraft, dispatcher desks, etc. I thing that the 'private' thing might allow you to realize that RID 7654321 is actually a Chief 33. If you save 7654321 you could alpha-tag it as Chief 33.

Does that sound about right, GTR8000? Am thinking about alpha-tagging GTR8000 as 'Cornholio', LOL.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.