trunking vs conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-542

Premium Subscriber
Maybe you need a better or an external antenna. I have an outdoor 800MHz Vertical antenna and a VHF/UHF Ground Plane and I pick both up equally as well.

Last edited:

fineshot1

why is it that conventional always seems to get good transmissions and some trunk transmissions suck?

Most trunk systems are designed and engineered to only cary coverage to a certain extent.
These systems us multiple frequencies(usually 5 or more) and the fcc licenses the transmitters
for a limited power output and coverage. This is due to the need for the fcc to re-issue these
frequencies in other geographical areas(frequency re-use issue) due to the shortage of frequencies
needed by other agencies in neighboring areas. Even some conventional systems have this issue
as well.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Some conventional systems sound good, some suck. Some trunked systems sound good, some suck. There are FAR too many variables in reception in general to draw any realistic conclusions, these guys are just guessing. Try comparing individual systems one to another and not conventional vs. trunking, my observations tell me there is no particular difference in the latter per se.

KM5LZ

Trunking systems

We have a new 700 MHZ P25 trunking system in St. Charles, MO and there is just one city using the new system for now but will have a very large number of users in the future. My question is why do I hear echoes on a few mobile units and everyone else is ok

N

N_Jay

We have a new 700 MHZ P25 trunking system in St. Charles, MO and there is just one city using the new system for now but will have a very large number of users in the future. My question is why do I hear echoes on a few mobile units and everyone else is ok

Probably because those guys don't turn down or turn off their portable radios.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
To explain further, the echo is low level feedback digitally delayed by the audio processing chain in the repeater controller. In extreme cases it breaks into a howl with echo and soon into a loud screech. As an aside, tape delayed echo (slap back) and feedback effects were used in analog sound recording, now it's digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.