trunking with pro-94

Status
Not open for further replies.

yankeesdood16

I have a pro-94 and I am in raleigh for a week from new york. I have everything programmed for FD and nothing is coming in, its says id scan and once and a while it will pick up something but its all static. I've tried playing with the squelch and I have a 800mhz antenna and even that doesn't work. So I have to listen in on the internet. If some can help me out with getting my scanner working I would appreciate it. Thanks!

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Yankeesdood16 -

The Pro 94 is NOT a digital scannner. You will not receive anything intelligible on the Raleigh or Wake Co fire talkgroups on the Viper trunked system. There is only one talkgroup listed on RadioReference for the two agencies that is analog ... the rest are digital, and your scanner cannot decode digital.

You can hear dispatches on the VHF conventional dispatch channels for Raleigh Fire and Wake County Fire, along with the conventional (non-trunked) EMS dispatch channel. But all the communications moves to the trunked system after the dispatch is broadcast.

yankeesdood16

Its a dual trunking scanner, its worked in Charlotte when I've been there but for some reason it won't work here. Both Raleigh and Charlotte are motorola type II systems.

Drafin

Its a dual trunking scanner, its worked in Charlotte when I've been there but for some reason it won't work here. Both Raleigh and Charlotte are motorola type II systems.

Without looking into it I'm gonna venture a guess that the Charlotte TGs you got were analog. The TGs in Raleigh may be the same type of system but the the TGs are digital.

The Pro 94 will do the analog stuff but not the digital.

Draf

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Without looking into it I'm gonna venture a guess that the Charlotte TGs you got were analog. The TGs in Raleigh may be the same type of system but the the TGs are digital.

The Pro 94 will do the analog stuff but not the digital.

Draf

Yep. The previous posters are correct.
Charlotte operates an Analog Moto Type 2 system while Wake Public Safety operates in a digital format on the State of NC VIPER system.
Unless you have a digital scanner you will not be able to monitor
Wake County Public Safety (Police/Fire/EMS).
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
At the risk of confusing the poster, lets just say that your statement is 99.99999999999999% correct. ;)

Hush you :cool:

I could point out the legacy analog TGs on VIPER if I
really wanted to rock that .00000001%. :cool:

Marshall KE4ZNR

Drafin

Actually I was talking charlotte, not VIPER....but still...not trying to confuse the OP...Marshall and Drafin are correct for your application.

Yeah ILMR, I was trying to simplify it. I like the way you put it though "...for your application.".

It's like when someone in this area asks me what they need to to listen to Caldwell County agencies. To save a LOT of explaining I tell them the only thing they can buy locally is at Radio Shack and it's a Pro106.
If they want to order the same thing online go with GRE PSR-500 and BCD396XT.

Some people will ask questions past that, some don't care as long as they can listen to the local agencies.

Draf

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Sure.

They are a similar design of system, however they are applied very different.

One being almost all analog, one being almost all digital.

On a totally unrelated but semi-related topic you owe me a beer before you cross state lines :cool:
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.