Trunking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xzebra008

Does the Kent County or surrounding area use trunking?

Also which departments use 800 MHz?

Just wondering if I need to update from a very old Uniden BC100XLT that I have dug out of the closet. I want to get back into my old hobby :)

Highpockets

fnnm1062

longtime member
Kent county and most of the surrounding areas are still vhf/uhf - but there is serious talks from what I hear and of read of an upgrade in the near future.

"Kent County

Kent County’s public safety agencies are planning on migrating to the MPSCS, by late next year, or by 2010 at the latest. Thanks in part to the new 9-1-1 surcharge rates.

In December, the State House approved a set of bills that would allow counties to charge 9-1-1 fees to cell phone users and phones connected through the Internet. The money raised would go into purchasing and upgrading equipment.

Kent County officials, plan on purchasing new radios to operate on the statewide network, especially if additional federal grant funding can be secured. The new radios would enable Kent County’s first responders to effectively communicate on one unified radio system. Further, this would promote a truly effective interoperable environment with other agencies from across the state, which is critical during major emergencies and disasters.

There is no word at this time if the city of Grand Rapids, also intends to join the MPSCS at this time or not.""

xzebra008

Thank you!

Ok if they are updating here in the near future which hand held would you recommend me purchasing for the least amount of cost?

Also if I own a old Uniden BC100XLT without 800 Mhz will this be ok until they upgrade their system?

Last edited:

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
here is the thread I started

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98011

we have no idea as of yet. If they go with the MPSCS system you will need a APCO 25 trunk scanner( if you don't have one I would go with the GRE 500/600 or uniden 396/996 to be safe for 700 trunk)
If they dopn't go with the MPSCS system most scanners will be okay as long as they can trunk EDAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.