TrunkTracker BC245XLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajcscan

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I know this is an antique but I have to ask.....
What agencies in the Cleveland Ohio area CAN I program into this old scanner besides conventional frequencies?
I've read so many different things today in different forums that my head is spinning!!
I will be purchasing the new Uniden scanner soon!!

Nasby

That scanner was big news many years ago as it could track 800 MHz public safety trunked systems.

Fast forward to 2013, there are no more analog 800 MHz public safety trunking systems in the Cleveland area.

So aside from the very few conventional frequencies in the area (some police/fire, ham radio, marine, aircraft, tow trucks, taxis and trains) there's not much else.

It will fetch you about $25.00 on Craigslist. You could put that towards your new Uniden.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you go to the Cuyahoga county database and down to the bottom, we can get to the brass tacks...

Cuyahoga County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Now anything that's LTR is out - however you could program these systems conventionally (and indeed, some of these you can't do with any scanner out of the box anyway -anything that's LTR Multinet or LTR Passport falls into this category). You would not be able to trunktrack them, so you'd hear everything on that system.

That eliminates a good chunk. The IDEN, TRBO and EDACS SCAT stuff get dropped, along with anything that says Project 25. The city of Cleveland's VSELP Motorola system is also out. The few that remain are possible - even Continental Airlines. Even though they've rebanded their freqs happen to all land on the old bandplan, so that's a possibility. Some of the SWRCN is also monitorable

What to do with it? Well there are a few possibilities. Put a discriminator tap in (there are a few folks that do this) and you can run software for AIS (if you're close enough to the Lakes) or for ATCS (if you're near to some Railroads). Put a connection between the scanner and your PC and do ACARS for aircraft (no tap needed, and the 245 has a pretty good AM Aircraft receiver - I had one for many years). If you want to decode TRBO then you will need to install DSD or DSD+ (although I would caution that this software's installation and use is not a trivial exercise).

Hams, aircraft, marine, businesses....a few possibilities here....Mike

N8IAA

If you go to the Cuyahoga county database and down to the bottom, we can get to the brass tacks...

Cuyahoga County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Now anything that's LTR is out - however you could program these systems conventionally (and indeed, some of these you can't do with any scanner out of the box anyway -anything that's LTR Multinet or LTR Passport falls into this category). You would not be able to trunktrack them, so you'd hear everything on that system.

That eliminates a good chunk. The IDEN, TRBO and EDACS SCAT stuff get dropped, along with anything that says Project 25. The city of Cleveland's VSELP Motorola system is also out. No longer being used. The new Cleveland system is Phase II, P-25.
The few that remain are possible - even Continental Airlines. Even though they've rebanded their freqs happen to all land on the old bandplan, so that's a possibility. Some of the SWRCN is also monitorable

What to do with it? Well there are a few possibilities. Put a discriminator tap in (there are a few folks that do this) and you can run software for AIS (if you're close enough to the Lakes) or for ATCS (if you're near to some Railroads). Put a connection between the scanner and your PC and do ACARS for aircraft (no tap needed, and the 245 has a pretty good AM Aircraft receiver - I had one for many years). If you want to decode TRBO then you will need to install DSD or DSD+ (although I would caution that this software's installation and use is not a trivial exercise).

Hams, aircraft, marine, businesses....a few possibilities here....Mike

Most everything in northern OH is on MARCS (old and new systems), and the new Cleveland Phase II system.
You are left with marine, hams, VHF air as Mike has stated.
When I go home to visit, my 396XT and PSR-800 go with me.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.