TrunkTracker X vs TrunkTracker V?

panoboy

Tropospheric Duct
Premium Subscriber
I'm surprised there is nothing on the Uniden website with a comparison matrix.

Anyone?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber

Just a guess but I’m thinking before the SDS100/200 series of scanners, Uniden produced the x36, x36HP or BCDx36HP, all abbreviations for the BCD436HP and the BCD536HP. Could it be that the “x” stood for those radios and the “v” stands for the newer P2 models such as the BCD325P2, the BCD996P2 and the HP-2? Below is an excerpt from the RR Wiki… (I just googled your question).​

TrunkTracker V​

From The RadioReference Wiki​

Uniden's implementation of trunked two-way radio system monitoring in a scanner. Update to their TrunkTracker IV, includes the BCD325P2 & BCD996P2 colloquially called the P2 series, the HomePatrol-2 abbreviated HP-2, and the BCD436HP & BCD536HP abbreviated as the: x36, x36HP or BCDx36HP Series. Currently, both the P2 series and x36 scanners have available upgrades to include Trunk Tracking for EDACS ProVoice and DMR systems via separate Paid, User Upgradable Firmwares. All models are based in Uniden's DMA file-folder and file layout: the P2's with 2 tier DMA with internal memory. The one's with "HP" in there name, are 3 tier DMA structure, with memory that is external, on a microSD card.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies but I am looking for a comparison of TrunkTracker features, not scanner models.
Not all "TrunkTracker" features are completely identical across all models, some models have completely different form factors & technical specs. Take the BCD996XT & HomePatrol-1 for example, both categorized as "TrunkTracker IVs". The latter model has touch screen functionality whereas the former model doesn't. The BCD996p2 & BCD536HP are both categorized at "TrunkTracker Vs" although their memory architectures are different. With that said, click each wiki link below THEN go to each categorized model's wiki page to read up on the different models & their features

BC245XLT - The RadioReference Wiki (TrunkTracker II)

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

panoboy

Tropospheric Duct
Premium Subscriber
Not all "TrunkTracker" features are completely identical across all models
Thank you. TrunkTracker version != scanner models.

TrunkTracker refers to the trunking system types supported, not form factors, display sizes, memory architectures, etc.

This is I'm looking for with TrunkTracker X.

For example, does TrunkTracker X support more system types than TrunkTracker V? The feature breakdowns in pages like these provide the answer.

Thanks for the reply! This has been an entertaining thread.

panoboy

Tropospheric Duct
Premium Subscriber
I guess I missed it but where do you find official Uniden references to a "X"? Not a WIKI or some thread that someone posted but from an official source...

The specs for TrunkTracker X have not been published by Uniden, hence my original question.

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber
It seems to me that the SDS scanners must have I/Q demodulation. They are called True IQ scanners but I don't see much discussion about why. The demodulation is what allows them to operate on the simulcast systems.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Upman never got into the basics much of the SDS scanners due to Whistler was trying to design a scanner to work with SIMULCAST SYSTEMS and did not want them to get an upper hand. Just a news note the design team at Whistler worked for over a year never had any luck and gave up on the project and they have not designed a new scanner. Just a news bit the TRX scanners are a GRE design.

Ubbe

W

It seems to me that the SDS scanners must have I/Q demodulation. They are called True IQ scanners but I don't see much discussion about why. The demodulation is what allows them to operate on the simulcast systems.
As soon as you have a receiver that can output a data signal instead of analog it can output an I and a Q signal and those can be mathematically calculated to produce a clean signal free of interference, that you cannot do with an analog received signal from a conventional receiver. So all those cheap SDR dongles can be used and also the SDR receiver chip in SDS scanners use a I/Q data output.

Wes_Brodsky_Figure_1A_Digital_Modulator.jpg

/Ubbe