TRX-1 accurate LED Color workaround

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ZRR

As U know, many Whistler TRX-1 LED colors don't correspond w it's EZ-Scan software color chart selections. And Whistler doesn't know how long for a fix. But U was able to manually create desired LED colors on my TRX-1. I then wrote down the corresponding 6 digit RGB code for each accurately displayed LED color. U need this info for the following. Then:
1. create and save a preset for each talkgoup color. (PD.preset, FD preset, etc.).
2. Use any free HexDex editor app to open a *.preset file. Preset code is brief. So look thru it and find "color 0 thru color 3.
3. Overtype the displayed code with the one(s) u wrote down for that preset. One letter/number at a time. I found FC4F60 is white, FF3500 orange,...
4. Create a name and File save each edited preset. i.e.: PD.preset, FD.preset, etc.
5. Open the desired VS folder file on EZ scan software.
6. Select a freq(s), click to open LED Tab and click LOAD button to select the desired preset that u just created. Some odd colors appear in color tab window. Disregard them. At this point, it's the code that matters; not what's being dusplayed.
7. proceed to click SET. Repeat this step for each freq, or groups of freqs in the desired Talkgroups to set ur new, corresponding LED presets.
8. Now create a new VS Folder "Description:, 9. Copy it to an unused, or overwrite it to a VS Folder.
10. Then Load that new VS file into EZ-scan main screen. It will read your edited color codes. Remember. The odd looking coloration does not matter in the software. What matters is that the new codes will accurately disply on the TRX-1, after completing the folliwing steps.
11. Copy it To a corresponding VS Folder on ur TRX-1. I use VS001 for simplicity. Select what worka best 4 U.
12. Sit back, cold beer, turn on TRX-1, Enjoy. Fyi i was able to create accurate White, Yellow, Orange, various shades and combos of blue, green, red, pink, tangerine, brown, grays, etc. EXACTLY what I wanted. Happy 4th of July and good luck.

Ubbe

Only white and orange managed to get into your message, the others where replaced by dots.
Please list all colors you manage to fix so that not each and every person needs to reinvent their own wheels.

/Ubbe

N3ZRR

Cool. Did u use a similar hex-dec editor workaround? hopefully Whistler will add a RGB code input field to LED Tab

N3ZRR

Tip. Since this is a workaround, I'm not worrying about some scientifically based color correction scheme. i am instead, focusing on simply using any RGB 6 digit code that gives me a color that i can use.

Ubbe

I think you need to download the latest EZ-Scan version as there is a color editor there to define up to 16 of your own colors, but for some reason they decided to use decimal values in EZ-Scan and hex in the scanner. Use windows calculator to convert from hex to decimal.

TRX-2 on the other hand seems to have totally different drivers or LEDs as they begin to light up at 30 and are saturated at 80.

/Ubbe

N3ZRR

Thx. Still qwerky. Selecting white on the color chart w RGB =255/255/255 should display white on the TRX1. But it displays yellow when set in the software. Hence tne need for the workaround until they fix it.

Ubbe

I think Whistler could have used different LED's in different batches, so it might be impossible to correct it so it will match everyones scanner, and that's why they added the possibility to set the colors yourself to anything you like.

The values are probably the power to each led thru a digital to analog converter and not the emitted intensity level. LEDs in different colors have different intensity at the same current to them. So the anticipated FF FF FF to get white wouldn't work. Whistler would need to use a converting table in the code to always get white at different intensity settings, if the LEDs used where the same in all scanners.

We'll see if Whistler comes out with any updates in the future but LED colors are probably the least of their problems as you already can tailor them to whatever you want.

/Ubbe

N3ZRR

Totally agree. Most logical explanation. Hence, owners of TRX'1s that cone from different production runs will need to develop their own set of RGB 6-digit color codes. Actually, no biggie for any tech guy. Good thing is u can still modify the ptesets to get what u want, save, load and reuse for tens and even hundreds of freqs at z time. i would have never wanted to recode my very large railroad freqsc scanlist one-by-one. thx for ur insight and commitment,

Ubbe

Good thing is u can still modify the ptesets to get what u want, save, load and reuse for tens and even hundreds of freqs at z time. i would have never wanted to recode my very large railroad freqsc scanlist one-by-one.
You can use standard windows syntax, click on the first record and then the last while holding down the shift key, hold down ctrl key and click to select and unselect individual records. Then click on the RGB setting of one of the records and edit and it will change all records that are marked. If you have set one of the 16 free user defined RGB settings you only have to click that one.

/Ubbe

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Cool. Did u use a similar hex-dec editor workaround? hopefully Whistler will add a RGB code input field to LED Tab
I did not program the scanner, I programmed via EZ Scan. Also, I used the import feature and the exact values I posted.

Red, Green & Blue colors will work. Once you start mixing them (even to just get white), you'll need to "customize" the values for each LED. Additionally the values you pick today may not be ideal in the future due to LED aging.

N3ZRR

Oddly, the color presets that rely on the RGB charts for TRX-1 Software "do" work perfectly on my old Grecom psr-800.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Oddly, the color presets that rely on the RGB charts for TRX-1 Software "do" work perfectly on my old Grecom psr-800.
There are manufacturing inconsistencies in the LED used. Made on different dates and or batches and/or suppliers, some just do not display the colors properly.

Glad I saw this thread has yellow, or orange in software is blue on the TRX-1 on my previous WS1080 color where more accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.