TRX-1 and MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mijolo

Help, I have a TRX 1 and I don't have Internet Explorer, I have a MAC, do I have any other options for downloading updates?

mejnetguru

Your only option is going to be running Windows in Boot Camp (dual boot) or using virtual machine (VM). I use VMWare Fusion to run Windows 7 and the Whistler software works fine that way.

Internet Explorer doesn't matter, you can use whatever browser you want but you will need Windows to run the Whistler software needed to program the scanners. No macOS support. Sorry.

Caution, Windows 10 is troublesome requiring the use of non-signed drivers (see lots of other threads). I've never been able to make it work right in my VM so I keep a Windows 7 VM around just for scanner work.

dmaria

Your only option is going to be running Windows in Boot Camp (dual boot) or using virtual machine (VM). I use VMWare Fusion to run Windows 7 and the Whistler software works fine that way.

Internet Explorer doesn't matter, you can use whatever browser you want but you will need Windows to run the Whistler software needed to program the scanners. No macOS support. Sorry.

Caution, Windows 10 is troublesome requiring the use of non-signed drivers (see lots of other threads). I've never been able to make it work right in my VM so I keep a Windows 7 VM around just for scanner work.

This is exactly what I do. Not happy with Whistler and the "Unsigned Driver" problem.

BrianG61UK

I've seen threads where Windows 10 users seem to have had no problems.
Is this maybe a problem with Windows 10 Home and not with Windows 10 Professional?

SCPD

QRT
The only people that have Windows 10 issues when using these scanners .. are those that don't know what they are doing.

mejnetguru

That is not accurate. Very skilled folks are having problems with Win10 and Whistler apps. There are many variables involved so the actual causes of issues can vary as well. I suspect VMs are part of the problem in this situation and of course that is not Whister's fault. I could take the time to dig into it for my situation but it's easier to just keep a Windows 7 VM around for the time being

In any case, no software should EVER be requiring users to disable security features like signed drivers to work. This severely weakens security of the entire system, not just for Whistler app(s). And for those who might point out that you can turn it back on after install, that's still the wrong response. MS has increased it's security by requiring signed drivers in Windows 10 for Avery good reason. This is a s/w development problem at Whistler and they should address it just like other s/w vendors have had to do. Drivers are tougher to work with sure, but its still fixable given the proper attention. Again, other developers have had to deal with it as well.

SCPD

QRT
This argument has been fought before .. and no one ever wins. Those with issues always like to blame Whistler for their own shortcomings.

Those with problems are always the newbies.

The only answer .. learn more about these scanners and stop the blame game.

BrianG61UK

That is not accurate. Very skilled folks are having problems with Win10 and Whistler apps. There are many variables involved so the actual causes of issues can vary as well. I suspect VMs are part of the problem in this situation and of course that is not Whister's fault. I could take the time to dig into it for my situation but it's easier to just keep a Windows 7 VM around for the time being

In any case, no software should EVER be requiring users to disable security features like signed drivers to work. This severely weakens security of the entire system, not just for Whistler app(s). And for those who might point out that you can turn it back on after install, that's still the wrong response. MS has increased it's security by requiring signed drivers in Windows 10 for Avery good reason. This is a s/w development problem at Whistler and they should address it just like other s/w vendors have had to do. Drivers are tougher to work with sure, but its still fixable given the proper attention. Again, other developers have had to deal with it as well.
Given the proper attention!?

You have to send the driver and a bundle of cash to Microsoft.

Besides this clearly is a not a real problem. Clearly Windows 10 can communicate fine with the scanner without any driver.

Anyway the so called "driver" file is just a text file.

My guess is that people with Windows 10 are trying to fix other problems by installing this driver.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

dmaria

The only people that have Windows 10 issues when using these scanners .. are those that don't know what they are doing.

I have 2 Windows 7 64 Pro installations. when installing Whistler software (TRX-1, TRX-2 and WS1080), I get an "Invalid Certificate" warning on both computers. If I choose to install anyway, it works.

I also have 2 I also have 2 Windows 10 64 Pro installations that raise a red flag, but Windows 10 does not give you the option to ignore it.

Four separate installations of Windows, and all have the same issue. Perhaps you could instill some of your god-like powers and enlighten us poor mortal fools and tell us what we are doing wrong.

I hate trolls.

BrianG61UK

I have 2 Windows 7 64 Pro installations. when installing Whistler software (TRX-1, TRX-2 and WS1080), I get an "Invalid Certificate" warning on both computers. If I choose to install anyway, it works.

I also have 2 I also have 2 Windows 10 64 Pro installations that raise a red flag, but Windows 10 does not give you the option to ignore it.

Four separate installations of Windows, and all have the same issue. Perhaps you could instill some of your god-like powers and enlighten us poor mortal fools and tell us what we are doing wrong.

I hate trolls.
Just don't install the "driver" perhaps?

Later:
WTF Certificate???
There is NO certificate in the Whistler "driver" file anyway.
AFAIK MS doesn't use certificates for drivers anyway -- they just use a digital signature.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT

I hate trolls.

You are almost funny. You call me a troll .. and then you want my help. Sorry .. not going to happen, at least for you anyways. There are many here that have no issues, myself included.

So for you to blame Whistler, it is almost comical .. when the answer is for you to learn. Btw .. I am just someone that tells the honest truth. Some just cannot accept that the problem is their lack of knowledge. I am not going to comment any more on this thread as it is pointless.

greggk

Premium Subscriber

I hate trolls.[/QUOT

Troll is correct. This type of treatment to other members here is not allowed. READ THE RULES. I'm tired of seeing it; I've reported it. Greg

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Hopefully the OP got the answer they were looking for before the usual suspects derailed the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.