TRX 1 and P25 Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

transitman

When using aTRX 1 to scan P25 systems that have simulcast, I noticed that reception is negligible. I've done a comparison loading the same data in a Pro 106 and the reception is much better. I read an article which stated a different antenna (portable) may improve reception. Does anyone have any experience using a different antenna or have any other suggestions to resolve my issue

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Very little will help any Whistlers on P25 Simulcast until maybe the new TRX-100/200. It's why after 2.5 years of Radio Shack 800mhz ducky, various antennas, yagis, paper-clips, paint-cans with holes in them and even a BNC to RCA connector as an antenna? ... I bought the Unication G5 Pager and it's perfect bliss on P25 Digital Simulcast everywhere I've been with it. EVEN my 2004 Pro96 does better than Whistler on P25 Digital Simulcast just like your Pro106. Chasing antenna$ got boring for me. Unication solved it. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Most whistler micro SD card scanners do poor with simulcast, they do not have hardware in them to decode it properly and getting it to work at your location is a crap shoot that may or may not payoff for YOU. Some people can get it to work but not everyone.

If you have the patience there is along list of thing to try, start with Wiki on LSM distortion.

If you don't have the patience then get a Uniden SDS scanner or a Unification pager.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
As I have noted here before, back before the SDS100 came out, I had devised a personal system to monitor my local Ohio MARCS P25 Phase 1 digital simulcast system using 3 digital scanners - 536, 1065, and TRX-1 - all on a rooftop directional yagi pointed to my site towers a few miles away, fed thru a Stridsberg multi-coupler, with the 536 scanning in ascending order, the 1065 in descending order, and the TRX-1 thrown in there for good measure. The TRX-1 more often than not did better on simulcast while the other 2 burped and gurgled, but the system DID work for the better and it served me well. The TRX-1 is a great radio, but if you really want good P25 digital simulcast coverage, get one of the SDS series scanners.

JD
kf4anc

clsmith29

i have my TRX-1 on a directional yagi and it works very well on a P25 system. I had to play with where it needed to be pointed and ended up with it pointing away from the repeaters. Simple yagi that covers 800mhz off amazon and I adapted it down to RG6 and ran that for my line coming inside the house. Everytime my Motorola handheld has audio so does my TRX.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
My TRX scanners are USELESS on the only Phase I P25 LSM system in town...my WS1098 receives it pretty much flawlessly...see video below for demo/comparo.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Both of my Whistler radios (Whistler upgraded RS Pro 18 and GRE PSR 800) work very well on my county simulcast system. I use the stock antenna both at home and while mobile,

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
My TRX scanners are USELESS on the only Phase I P25 LSM system in town...my WS1098 receives it pretty much flawlessly...see video below for demo/comparo.

It is a exact clone of the configuration? and using the same antenna?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Yes, I even swapped the split antenna leads to ensure it was not an issue...the TRX cannot be made to decode properly no mater the settings, the 1098 cannot be made to not decode well regardless of settings. You can imagine my frustration over this. The TRX has better 3600 P25 decode though, slightly better sensitivity.

Paul

It is a exact clone of the configuration? and using the same antenna?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Whistler (formerly GRE's) are know for being more sensitive than Uniden and prone to overloading. A YAGI antenna would likely make this worse. I've actually pointed the back (null or rejection) side of a YAGI to reduce signal levels for surrounding sites on a simulcast system and that helped in the past. Similar to what clsmith29 claimed in post #5. GRE's prior to Whistler didn't have the problem the TRX1 & 2 are having with the exception of the WS-1098 which I think was one of Whistler's first scanners, possibly a GRE design at that time. The WS-1098 is discontinued, possibly due to being a GRE built product.

To be fair there are so many variables to these situations, which explains why so many people experience different results.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
To be fair there are so many variables to these situations, which explains why so many people experience different results.

So true. I think every monitoring situation is as different as every geographical position. So many variables involved from the radio and its coax and antenna, to the transmitter and its location, to RFI and its various effects, to strength of signal to propagation to this and that - quite a few ingredients to the formula. You have to play with your equipment and try different things, test your system and note what works well. Something that might seem stupid might actually work. I once used a chain-link fence for a shortwave antenna and it worked great. When I was 10 y/o I learned how to tune my guitar to my refrigerator which kicked on in standard A lol. Learn how to use things in your environment. I've seen people use crazy things as antennas that worked quite well. Every situation is different.

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.