TRX 1 and Spotsy County P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLO5078

My Pro 96 and 106 receive the Fire, Schools, Public works broadcast on the new P25 system with little or no problem. Voice sounds fine. Sitting side by side my new TRX 1 often misses calls, ducky voices, popping sounds when station tones are used (all updates applied, Fauquier county 800, Orange are fine). When doing a limit search it does not stop on any control channels. Any settings I can change to bring it up to Pro 106 listening.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
I cannot pick up Spotsylvania anything with my trx-2 even if I'm sitting in Spotsylvania by the court house. I've had this issue since they went live.

Like you, I receive everything else with no issues.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
My Pro 96 and 106 receive the Fire, Schools, Public works broadcast on the new P25 system with little or no problem. Voice sounds fine. Sitting side by side my new TRX 1 often misses calls, ducky voices, popping sounds when station tones are used (all updates applied, Fauquier county 800, Orange are fine). When doing a limit search it does not stop on any control channels. Any settings I can change to bring it up to Pro 106 listening.

Interesting. Spotsy is supposed to be P25 P2, how are the Pro-96 and Pro-106 receiving that system when they are only P1 capable? The TRX-1 of course is P2 capable, and should work as long as its programmed correctly.

fredva

Feed Provider
Interesting. Spotsy is supposed to be P25 P2, how are the Pro-96 and Pro-106 receiving that system when they are only P1 capable? The TRX-1 of course is P2 capable, and should work as long as its programmed correctly.

At some point, the fireground channels (Channel 2, Channel 3, etc.) began broadcasting in Phase 1 instead of Phase 2. The last time I checked, Dispatch on the P25 system (Channel 1) was still Phase 2. However, Channel 1 is simulcast on VHF analog. So, as of right now, a Phase 1 scanner programmed with the simulcast frequency and the fireground channels can receive all or virtually all Spotsy fire traffic, although some radios may suffer from simulcast distortion.

Public works and school buses have been Phase 1 reportedly because they got older radios transferred to them when the emergency services got new radios.

fredva

Feed Provider

The only thing I can think to suggest is to try turning on the attenuator for Spotsylvania on the TRX.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
At some point, the fireground channels (Channel 2, Channel 3, etc.) began broadcasting in Phase 1 instead of Phase 2. The last time I checked, Dispatch on the P25 system (Channel 1) was still Phase 2. However, Channel 1 is simulcast on VHF analog. So, as of right now, a Phase 1 scanner programmed with the simulcast frequency and the fireground channels can receive all or virtually all Spotsy fire traffic, although some radios may suffer from simulcast distortion.

Public works and school buses have been Phase 1 reportedly because they got older radios transferred to them when the emergency services got new radios.

Thanks for the clarification.

KLO5078

TRX1 Still Blind

Fredva...great explanation to the Spotsy Dual system. That is what I did to make the 106 work although not impressed with how weak the VHF frequency is near Cosner Corner. I can set a limit search and the 106 stops on Spotsy, Stafford, Caroline control channels every time...the TRX does not stop- just keeps on searching. I can pause and toggle to the frequency and see 5 bars. I know it misses a lot of traffic because the 106 is programmed for VHF and P 25. STARS works fine. Just was thinking I missed a unique setting that would improve the radio.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
I have been experimenting with the Spotsylvania problem here. The only solid connection here for me on dispatch is the old 396xt set on 156.195. Although the signal strength does vary.
My 536 has proven to be rather useless with the simulcasting distortion on Spotsylvania P25. I have tried numerous antennas. Attenuator on works best.

The 536 works great on non-encryted Stafford and Fredburg P25 P2.

STARS works great here on each scanner.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dtscho

Database Admin
I know this thread is about the TRX-1, but my 436 has problems locking onto the control channel at times. Often, I'll have to hold on the system (using System hold on the 436) for several seconds before it locks on the control channel. After that, it's usually fine, but sometimes it will lose the control again, and I'll have to repeat the process.

Once the control is acquired, voice transmissions are generally good, although the Phase I users usually sound better than Phase II users.

I wonder if it has something to do with the Spotsy system using a Harris P25 control. I don't have this problem with Motorola P25 control channels (like Stafford).

By the way, the control channel lock problem occurs almost everywhere I go in Spotsy and the City.

Dave

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
I know this thread is about the TRX-1, but my 436 has problems locking onto the control channel at times. Often, I'll have to hold on the system (using System hold on the 436) for several seconds before it locks on the control channel. After that, it's usually fine, but sometimes it will lose the control again, and I'll have to repeat the process.

Once the control is acquired, voice transmissions are generally good, although the Phase I users usually sound better than Phase II users.

I wonder if it has something to do with the Spotsy system using a Harris P25 control. I don't have this problem with Motorola P25 control channels (like Stafford).

By the way, the control channel lock problem occurs almost everywhere I go in Spotsy and the City.

Dave
Dave, I will be interested in answer to that as I have the 536 doing the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dtscho

Database Admin
The funny thing is that the 996 (which I see you have) locks onto the control channel well. I thought the 436/536 had better filters than the 996/325, so I don't know why this would be.

Dave

fredva

Feed Provider
I can confirm that Fireground Channel 2 and Channel 3 are P25 Phase 1. Perhaps they should be changed from "T" to "D" in the database.

The other fireground channels are likely Phase 1 also, but I can't say with absolute certainty.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
The funny thing is that the 996 (which I see you have) locks onto the control channel well. I thought the 436/536 had better filters than the 996/325, so I don't know why this would be.

Dave
I don't know either Dave. I have put them side by side and the older 996p2 performs better.

Status
Not open for further replies.