TRX-1 and TRX-2 Discontinued ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I don't know if Whistler is dropping the TRX-1 and TRX-2, but HRO has them listed on their discontinued items page : Discontinued Ham Radio Outlet Items and Accessories

I am sure there's a story behind this. Is it just HRO that's dropping them or do they know something that we don't yet ?

Anyone heard otherwise ?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have spoken directly with Whistler and have assured me that, as in the past statement on the forums, they are not discontinuing their scanner business and the TRX 1 and 2 are not discontinued even though some retailers have stopped selling their products.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
That's interesting indeed. I didn't see anywhere on Whistler's site were they were going to drop them. It does make you wonder why some folks are no longer selling them. I figured someone had the scoop.

Thanks for the info.

Flatshovel

Not that I have any info on this, but do you think it might be because they stopped development on the TRX-100 & TRX-200 that this left a bad taste in mouths so to speak? Maybe in light of this they don't want to carry Whistler products moving forward? Who knows. I have a TRX-1 and hopen that the support is not being dumped on it. My 2 cents worth!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

kruser

Premium Subscriber
That's interesting indeed. I didn't see anywhere on Whistler's site were they were going to drop them. It does make you wonder why some folks are no longer selling them. I figured someone had the scoop.

Thanks for the info.

I'd imagine it has something to do with Whistler stating they are no longer going to develop and release the rumored TRX-100 and 200 models.

kc8tmv

Hope I’m wrong, but kind of sounds like the writings on the wall. I will be sad if the go the way of the dinosaurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kruser

Premium Subscriber
If they do leave the market, hopefully someone will continue the weekly database updates.
I recall when GRE close up shop that Don Starr took over the weekly updates but he has been missing in action now for months.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Who in the heck in their right mind would even buy one of those TRX-1 or TRX-2 at this point with all of the negative stuff happening with that company at this point. Even if they dropped the price who cares. You don't buy products from a company that could or could not down the road support the radios and give you firmware upgrades like Uniden is doing now. Its a no brainer. Stay away from their radios. You will regret and complain down the road and grip and complain about no support and why you are not get firmware updates.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
HRO has had that posted for a while I think right after the 1st release date for the TRX100 TRX200 (end of 3rd quarter) and they never changed it after the news that WHISTLER dropped the TRX100 TRX200 after not getting the results they wanted.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
On Bearcat Warehouse site it shows they are discontinuing the WS-1065 and the TRX-1, but still selling the TRX-2 (probably overstocked) and they also have a blurb listed there (with no pic) about the TRX-200 and its features. Discontinuing Whistler products is ominous if you own one of their scanners, re: firmware updates and service, but I think it's just a retail decision to drop Whistler and go with what's popular and what sells. That would be Uniden.

JD
kf4anc

Chronic

Not that I have any info on this, but do you think it might be because they stopped development on the TRX-100 & TRX-200 that this left a bad taste in mouths so to speak? Maybe in light of this they don't want to carry Whistler products moving forward? Who knows. I have a TRX-1 and hopen that the support is not being dumped on it. My 2 cents worth!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

What support is there now for the trx1 and trx2 ? there are issues that need fixed and there is not even any talk about them working on it . there hasent been any software/firmware updates for a very long time now. we could all be sitting on a $600.00 paper weight

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Who in the heck in their right mind would even buy one of those TRX-1 or TRX-2 at this point with all of the negative stuff happening with that company at this point. Even if they dropped the price who cares. You don't buy products from a company that could or could not down the road support the radios and give you firmware upgrades like Uniden is doing now. Its a no brainer. Stay away from their radios. You will regret and complain down the road and grip and complain about no support and why you are not get firmware updates.

Whistler even went to the support of older RS and GRE pre-TRX models with a reasonably priced upgrade that upgraded the PSR 800 and RS Pro 18 in many ways including DMR reception. They also made needed and useful improvements to the EZ Scan software. I have both of the older GRE models in a simulcast area and have no complaints. The $120 for upgrades was well worth the cost compared to the cost of the new Unidens. I also have Uniden scanners, but don't believe the cost of a new scanner would make my reception that much better in my situation.

Reactions: RRR

allend

Premium Subscriber
Everybody needs to realize that Whistler's scanner days are over with. They took it in the shorts and are follow suit with what happened to GRE.

Not sure how better to paint the picture at this point. They cancelled their new line of scanners that never existed and Uniden smash their face into the ground.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I was overtly curious so I just called the Whistler Group customer service number and was on hold for 19 minutes, then a recording came on requesting a message and beeped, cut me off. Just an observation. For kicks and giggles I called Uniden customer service. Had a live person in under TWO minutes (Forrest). Very nice and informative and knew his products. (asked about the current stock shipping from Nam and if the issues were fixed and he replied that they were) ...so if you're wondering about support for Whistler scanners, your guess is as good as mine, I guess. Again, just an observation, folks.

JD
kf4anc

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I was overtly curious so I just called the Whistler Group customer service number and was on hold for 19 minutes, then a recording came on requesting a message and beeped, cut me off. Just an observation. For kicks and giggles I called Uniden customer service. Had a live person in under TWO minutes (Forrest). Very nice and informative and knew his products. (asked about the current stock shipping from Nam and if the issues were fixed and he replied that they were) ...so if you're wondering about support for Whistler scanners, your guess is as good as mine, I guess. Again, just an observation, folks.

JD
kf4anc

What issues were fixed? Can people with current radios that have these "issues" get them replaced?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Forrest told me that the hum issue has been fixed on current radios being shipped, and for those radios out there already sold with the hum issue there was the 'mitigating remedy' as he called it, and they are sending out the part needed. He was not aware of the screen flicker issue, but he investigated it as I was on the phone and found a few repair instances for it but that it was apparently not a repair concern and that very few customers had reported it. I am not aware of any other issues with the SDS200.

JD
kf4anc

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Everybody needs to realize that Whistler's scanner days are over with. They took it in the shorts and are follow suit with what happened to GRE.

Not sure how better to paint the picture at this point. They cancelled their new line of scanners that never existed and Uniden smash their face into the ground.
Reminiscent of my wake up and smell the coffee post. If you can't pick up your hometown fire and police with a TRX 1 or 2 and it is not E then what is the point of selling them.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
For me the TRX-1 served it's purpose for a time till Uniden released their NXDN upgrade. The TRX-2 was never really worth it's cost. The analog squelch tail, having to set the squelch at 9-11 was a real bummer. It was also disappointing Whistler used the same old tired GRE design.

When the announcement came in they were discontinuing the TRX-100/200, I guess I knew Whistler didn't have what it takes to design their own scanners. But, after the TRX-1/2, I guess what did I really expect from them?

Status
Not open for further replies.