Trx-1 cap+ con+ provoice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aspidistra

Does the trx-1 work well for Dmr capacity plus and connect plus ? Is it possible to "search ID" with it ? (It it possible to use only the trx-1 without using dsdplus to discover new systems ?)

Does it worth the money ?
I have red various opinions about this new scanner, this is why I ask.

Also, I know that the trx-1 doesn't decode provoice, but since it have a discriminator tap, is it possible to use the trx-1 with dsdplus to decode a trunking provoice system ?

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
Does the trx-1 work well for Dmr capacity plus and connect plus ? Is it possible to "search ID" with it ? (It it possible to use only the trx-1 without using dsdplus to discover new systems ?)

It seems to receive well on both Cap+ and Con+ systems. There is not an ID search like on the X36, but all you do is add a wildcard into the talkgroups and it will respond to all active talkgroups when active.

Does it worth the money ?
I have red various opinions about this new scanner, this is why I ask.

That will depend on what you want to monitor, some people like it and some not. I happen to have the trx-1 and 436 and they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Also, I know that the trx-1 doesn't decode provoice, but since it have a discriminator tap, is it possible to use the trx-1 with dsdplus to decode a trunking provoice system ?

Yes, it does have a built-in discriminator tap, using the earphone jack. Should work with DSD+, however I have never tried it. Hope this helps.

Ubbe

IF out from earphone jack works perfect with DSD+

I beleive Whistler added IF out without thinking of how to actually use it.

As soon as you connect a plug to the jack the loudspeaker audio is gone.
A normal discriminator tap doesn't interfere with a scanners normal operation and you can have DSD+ connected at all times and as soon as a datasignal is heard DSD+ will instantly decode it.

With Whistlers approach you cannot hear what you are monitoring. A few versions back of EZScan there was an option to select IF out together with loudspeaker that seemed to be a logical way to have both IF and loudspeaker audio, but it didn't work and Whistler later removed that option from EZScan.

/Ubbe

Aspidistra

Do you know where I can find a neutral & non-commercial source of information about strengths & weaknesses for both of these scanners (trx-1 vs bcd436hp) ?

Thanks for your answers

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
As the owner of both I could only tell you what think plus or minus for each scanner.
#1. Your skill set as a computer user (A = build your own) (B = Buy your own point and click)
#2. What are you expecting to hear P25, DMR, NXDN when released, ect?
#3. Do you have any patience?
All of the above define which would be better for you.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
As the owner of both I could only tell you what think plus or minus for each scanner.
#1. Your skill set as a computer user (A = build your own) (B = Buy your own point and click)
#2. What are you expecting to hear P25, DMR, NXDN when released, ect?
#3. Do you have any patience?
All of the above define which would be better for you.

I'll ask a question about the two. I'm tossed between getting another 436 or getting the TRX-2. It will be for the house and it will be for the One Voice system and the NYCOMCO system in lower New York State. Scannermaster is having a sale so this is why I'm thinking of it. I read in another thread supposedly the TRX series does NOT actually track the system. In your opinion...436 or TRX 2

Thanks

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Open voice is this PROVOICE if so the TRX does not do provoice. The 436 has to have the DMR trunking in correct LNC order where the TRX has to only have all used channels programmed and it tracks by looking for active TG's and it only looks for the other TG's after the delay time. So it does track but does not use the rest control channel. The TRX will get the NXDN upgrade free where we will have to pay for the 436 536 upgrades when released.
The TRX's are a little picky with the usb drivers where the x36's are load the drivers and go.
The TRX's are a little easier to turn on playlist / favorites on the fly.
The x36's have aftermarket software support the TRX's do not.
The x36's have aftermarket software for remote operation the TRX's do not.
With this posted both scanners track and receive the same (present) systems the same in my location and usage. This is the same for TRX-1 TRX-2 436HP and 536HP
I hope this helps you in your choice. Check out this site.
http://hamstation.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=234

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, bro! And One Voice is the DMR trunk system in my area. I know Whistler doesn't do ProVoice. Nothing by me with ProVoice LOL

TAbirdman

The x36's have aftermarket software for remote operation the TRX's do not.

Not true - Whistler posted and release a remote control program for the SD card scanners. Several on the forum have installed it and using it.

trp2525

...Scannermaster is having a sale so this is why I'm thinking of it...

You can do better than Scanner Master's sale prices on both the Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2:

Scanner Master
TRX-1 sale price $509.95 (regular price $549.95) Whistler TRX-1 Digital Handheld Police Scanner | Scanner Master
TRX-2 sale price $549.95 (regular price $629.95) Whistler TRX-2 Digital Base/Mobile Police Scanner | Scanner Master

The Ham Station
TRX-1 $479.95 TRX-1 plus 18 dollars ups ground signature required - $479.95 : The Hamstation!, Your one stop on-line source for amateur radio fun.
TRX-2 $529.95 TRX-2 plus 18 dollars UPS ground ups signature required - $529.95 : The Hamstation!, Your one stop on-line source for amateur radio fun.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
No problem I am a scanner fan not just a brand fan. If I can answer anything else I will try to be open and not one sided just the pros and cons of each.

Same here, thanks. I have RS, Uniden, Icom...if it does what I need I buy it

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Not true - Whistler posted and release a remote control program for the SD card scanners. Several on the forum have installed it and using it.

As I remember it is remote only no audio. Does not work over the internet out of the box unless you have advanced network skills still no audio. It is fine if you are connected and in the same room. PROSCAN works remote and audio out of the box on a 536 no wires connected to the pc or scanner. I have 4 gre whistler built scanners and found no use for me with the whistler remote software.

TAbirdman

If nothing is connected to a 536, that's cool.
With an audio jack connected to audio input on the PC and the Whistler's remote Program you are ready to rock. Some I've read used a Bluetooth device connected to the ext speaker jack to get audio to the PC.

Either way the 536 doesn't need anything apparently and the Whistler needs an audio and USB connection to a PC to get the remote function.

As a comparison check off list: both have remote capabilities.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Using Proscan you connect to the 536 server from the outside world on my laptop through the internet with very little other than port forwarding to the Proscan PC and you get any where in the world remote monitoring, remote control with audio. the TRX's do not have that option without setting up VPN's through your router and network.

milcom_chaser

I know you are considering TRX, but if you decide to go the Uniden 436 HP route, jet.com has them for $437.54 FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.