TRX-1- few small issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
Hi all-

I sold both my useless 325P2 radios and bought a TRX-1 a few weeks ago, and within a week bought a second one- these radios have given me back my love of scanning. Truly. Perfect DMR decoding, even on wide-area systems, excellent Phase-2 listening, and the promise of NXDN coming soon (though I'm not sure who uses it, why not?)...

Anyhow, I've noticed a few small issues with the TRX units and was wondering (because I'm too lazy to search properly) if anyone else has experienced them/has fixes?

1- Nearly every time I connect the radios to the computer, Windows informs me there's an error with the disk and wants to fix it. Even if I do, the next time I have a 50/50 chance of the same thing happening. Minor annoyance since, if I choose not to, everything still works perfectly.

2- Uploading/cloning. About every 10th time I upload my latest revised codeplug to one of the radios, failure after failure occurs and the program petulantly refuses to upload, thus reimaging the scanner to factory config. A simple unplugging and replugging (is that even a word?) solves this, but then, when I clone the same file to the second radio, it happens again.

Again, a minor issue, but I was wondering if this is indicative of a larger problem that has yet to rear it's ugly head?

FWIW, I'm on a Windows 10 machine (64 bit, #1607). Latest firmware/DSP all around.

Lastly, I gotta say it- Whistler, I love you. You may get yet another order from me before Christmas. I'm thinking something in a base unit would go nicely in my house (décor concerns you know).

prc117f

Does your scanner show up as a disk? You probably need to eject it before unplugging the USB. Funny I am also moving in your direction when it comes to switching from Uniden.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
1. That's a Windows thing, not the scanner. Ignore it.
2. A. When programming a scanner, do not call it a "codeplug".
2. B. Just get a memory card reader and use that to copy the data from the software to the memory cards. Faster and easier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
1. That's a Windows thing, not the scanner. Ignore it.
Figured.
2. A. When programming a scanner, do not call it a "codeplug".
Yes, you're correct. We mustn't anger the RSS Police. Whether I'm programming a scanner, a radio or TV, I call it a "codeplug". You understood what I meant.
2. B. Just get a memory card reader and use that to copy the data from the software to the memory cards. Faster and easier.
Easier? Slip off the rubber sleeve condom, eject the card, put it in the reader and go? Or plug in the cable?
I'll stick with the cable.

Bought another few Micro-SD cards to see if anything changes.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Driver?

Do you have thew option of using a microSD card reader to see if it is a driver issue?

Paul

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
Driver?

Do you have thew option of using a microSD card reader to see if it is a driver issue?
Second thing I tried. It still happens, whether via the computer->cable->scanner, a card reader or an adaptor and plugged directly into the laptop. I picked up 2 new 16gb cards @ $7 each, formatted them and uploaded my latest 'codeplugs', and the issues still happens 1 in 5 times.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I get that 5 out of 5 times on my 436 and 536HP Unidens.....it is just Windows seeing something it is not familiar with, I just click ignore and never have any issues. The only time I would click fix would be if Windows couldn't actually see read and display the folder structure for me.

Paul

TAbirdman

Second thing I tried. It still happens, whether via the computer->cable->scanner, a card reader or an adaptor and plugged directly into the laptop. I picked up 2 new 16gb cards @ $7 each, formatted them and uploaded my latest 'codeplugs', and the issues still happens 1 in 5 times.

Are those new SD cards Sandisk ? If not that could be your issue.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
Ok, did you format the new cards using EZSCan's "Prepare Scanner memory/SD card for use" option?

Yes, after both a Windows quick format and full format. Matter of fact, I just did it again for both radios and added 'copy current config'. Unplugged the second one afterwards, and when I plugged it in, "Error with this drive..." popped up.

TAbirdman

Yes, after both a Windows quick format and full format. Matter of fact, I just did it again for both radios and added 'copy current config'. Unplugged the second one afterwards, and when I plugged it in, "Error with this drive..." popped up.

and that error message was when you used a card reader or with the sd card in the scanner? If it popped up while using a card reader then its not the scanner, maybe something wrong with your card reader?

SCPD

QRT
Rule 1 .. as mentioned above. Buy a card reader.
Rule 2 .. buy a card reader.
Rule 3 .. Uniden scanners mostly suck. Not the scanners so much .. but the user interface. A 5 year old could do a better job.
Rule 4 .. there are no more rules.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
Rule 1 .. as mentioned above. Buy a card reader.
Rule 2 .. buy a card reader.
Rule 3 .. Uniden scanners mostly suck. Not the scanners so much .. but the user interface. A 5 year old could do a better job.
Rule 4 .. there are no more rules.

Rule 1- I have a card reader- scroll up.
Rule 2- I have a card reader and it doesn't change anything.
Rule 3- Yes, Uniden scanners suck. We're talking about Whistlers in a Whistler forum.
Rule 4- Since the problem appears with or without the card reader, I'm going back to the old way and plugging directly into the radio. At least I don't have to fight off the rubber sleeve, open the battery tray, remove the card, stick it into a card reader, and reverse the process every time.

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
Lastly, I gotta say it- Whistler, I love you. You may get yet another order from me before Christmas. I'm thinking something in a base unit would go nicely in my house (décor concerns you know).

It sounds like everyone here is getting you fixed up but wanted to chime in and say "We love you too!"

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
On last question- is there a way to batch-change several hundred objects WRT the Tone type? I need to change them to "NAC Search" but it doesn't take, and I'm terribly lazy...

scosgt

On the later versions of Windows, when you eject a drive a put a small file on the drive to show it was properly ejected. When you unplug without telling Windows first, it gives that error the next time you insert the drive. It is not a real error. Just Bloomberg warning you not to drink large sodas.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
TRX-1 few issues

@WilRobnson. Yes. In the Conventional or Trunked tabs you can batch edit objects by scoring/clicking the first line ...hold SHIFT button down on keyboard, click last line of the whole batch *making sure not to click or touch the form in the field anywhere else first. The whole thing should score as selected. Be ready to WAIT while you do a batch edit for that many things. You click the first line to change whatever for all in the category you want. It takes time for the change to percolate before it changes. It was worse when the WS1080 first came out. I'd batch edit 1500 things and EZSCAN would just freeze up. I learned not to do so many at a time.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
@WilRobnson. Yes. In the Conventional or Trunked tabs you can batch edit objects by scoring/clicking the first line ...hold SHIFT button down on keyboard, click last line of the whole batch *making sure not to click or touch the form in the field anywhere else first. The whole thing should score as selected. Be ready to WAIT while you do a batch edit for that many things. You click the first line to change whatever for all in the category you want. It takes time for the change to percolate before it changes. It was worse when the WS1080 first came out. I'd batch edit 1500 things and EZSCAN would just freeze up. I learned not to do so many at a time.

Nope. You can batch change most things, but that doesn't work for 'squelch'. Clicking one of the chosen objects, selecting 'NAC' and 'Search for value' doesn't propagate to any of the chosen objects, even the one selected. It defaults to "Search".

PL and DPL "search for value" WILL propagate, just not NAC Search.

Another radio and I'd slot in F7E, but we're talking a scanner here.

Status
Not open for further replies.