TRX-1: Trx-1 keeps stopping on "dead air" frequencies when listening to aircraft, ham and railroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
That occurs often when for various reasons a transmitter is on the air continuously, sometimes with a dead carrier. This drives me nuts on MilAir frequencies causing the scanner to require frequent attention. It's something we all learn to live with in our hobby.

tvengr

Well Known Member
This may be of help to you. It is from the TRX-1 manual.

Birdie Frequencies:

Birdies are operating frequencies, which all scanners have, that are created inside the scanner’s receiver and can cause interference. If the interference is not severe, you adjusting the squelch might omit the birdie, but if you program one of these frequencies after a search, you will hear only noise on that frequency. If you suspect that a frequency you have programmed is being affected by a birdie, try removing the antenna. Removing the antenna will help determine if the interfering signal is a birdie signal being generated inside of the scanner, or the result of an external interference source. If the noise on a frequency is not affected when the antenna is removed, it is almost certainly the result of a birdie. If the noise disappears when the antenna is removed, the noise is most likely coming from an external source. Moving the scanner may reduce or solve the issue.

racing1

is it possible to add CB channels to a scanlist or can I choose that option like I would with ham,aircraft etc?

Ubbe

In the scanners menu for search you should have CB channels as a service search option.

Service search will only do that scan and nothing else. It's a better option to program those channel to a scan list so it can be scanned together with other scanlists. Make a text file with the frequencies and import in EZ-Scan. You could first create a new scanlist and add just two frequencies with all the settings you want and export to a textfile and then continue to edit that textfile with new frequencies, perhaps copying the frequencies from a list on the web or some other method. You could also import that textfile into Excel and edit to keep the format unaltered and then save as a textfile again when you are done.

It is recommended to have all your programming saved to text files as it is much easier to edit and alter in batches and perhaps sort in some special order to let you have a better overview in EZScan.

/Ubbe

DJ11DLN

Yes, using EZscan you can import the CB channels. They are found under NATIONWIDE, then AGENCIES.

Greg
And it will work, for AM only. You won't be able to understand SSB traffic. And without an antenna resonant on 11M, don't expect to hear a great deal.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
And it will work, for AM only. You won't be able to understand SSB traffic. And without an antenna resonant on 11M, don't expect to hear a great deal.

Interesting, I never thought about that before (the lack of SSB) on the scanners. I wonder why that is, why don’t they add SSB decode ability? Seems like it would be easy... just filter 1/2 the bandwidth.... ?

rayvelcoro

You could also find a list of the 40 CB channel frequencies and enter them as conventional objects in a scanlist. Manual programming is considered outdated I've noticed.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Interesting, I never thought about that before (the lack of SSB) on the scanners. I wonder why that is, why don’t they add SSB decode ability? Seems like it would be easy... just filter 1/2 the bandwidth.... ?

All scanners are receivers, but not all receivers are scanners...

That said, the word "Receiver" in this context usually refers to a radio that, while it may scan, is not used primarily as a scanner, but as a communications receiver. They are more intended to be used to twirl around a range of channels or frequencies, scanning is usually limited in features, speed or other capabilities. The AOR 8200, AR8000, and AR3000 are examples of Communications Receivers, as is the Icom R7000, R10, R20 and R8500. Communications Receivers often have SSB capabilities, and large tuning knobs, but usually do not include trunking.

"Scanners" are primarily designed to check a specific set of pre-programmed channels for activity. Think BC780 or Pro96 for example. Many scanners have trunking, PL, or other features, but often they do not have a large tuning knob and usually don't have SSB.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Not true! You need to add a beat frequency oscillator (BFO) to reinsert the carrier frequency and be able to fine tune the frequency.

DJ11DLN

Not true! You need to add a beat frequency oscillator (BFO) to reinsert the carrier frequency and be able to fine tune the frequency.
Exactly and that's why it's very unlikely we'll ever see a scanner with SSB. Not enough are going to be that interested to create the demand. But there are some pretty cheap SSB CB radios around so if anyone really wants to listen in, I'd say that would be the way to go...probably work a lot better than a scanner even for AM, not to mention a lot of portable SW receivers that cover 11M and have a BFO.

Ubbe

The AOR AR8200 portable scanner has SSB and also Icom R10 has SSB as well, although Icoms scanning capabilities are a bit limited with very slow scan rate and have just the basic controls of its scanning, almost like an old crystal scanner.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.