TRX-1 LCN order needed for DMR systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
When programming DMR Capacity Plus or Connect Plus systems in the TRX-1, is it necessary to program the frequencies in any particular order? The manual just says to enter all the frequencies, but it doesn't mention anything about any particular order.

With the Uniden BCD436HP, you need the correct LCN order for Capacity Plus and Connect Plus systems.

Ubbe

Whistler scanners doesn't handle LCN/LSN in DMR. It just scans all frequencies entered until it finds a conversation. Thats why you'll need to somehow find all voice channels, or rely on the RR DB being accurate.

/Ubbe

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all!

On another TRX-1 topic, is anyone having issues with the scanning delay time? I have noticed that after a conversation is over, it seems to resume scanning very quickly, probably one second or less. I went into the software and changed the delay time for all channels to 4 seconds, but it seems to make little difference. Seems to affect both trunked and conventional channels. Anyone else seeing this?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
No. You can enter them in any order.

I don't own a TRX (yet). But please clarify something for me. In the previous post [of Ubbe] it is stated that you don't program in LCNs for a DMR trunked system on a TRX-#.

Is this really true? I'd find it hard to believe. If color codes and/or LCNs are not taken into account when programming, then the scanner cannot possibly trunktrack. If you don't enter in LCNs, it's just scanning everything conventionally.

Is this really how it works on a TRX-#?

Mike

CanesFan95

Whistler scanners doesn't handle LCN/LSN in DMR. It just scans all frequencies entered until it finds a conversation. Thats why you'll need to somehow find all voice channels, or rely on the RR DB being accurate.

/Ubbe

Are you saying Whistlers don't actually trunk track talk groups and only conventionally scan each frequency to follow a talk group? This would be a serious concern if that's how Whistler scanners work.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Well, if this is true, then holding on a particular talkgroup on a Connect Plus or Capacity Plus system wouldn't work. Can you or can't you hold on a talkgroup on a DMR trunked system?

ccs247

Premium Subscriber
From page 35 of the TRX-1 manual:

The most significant difference between DMR systems verses other types of systems is that the scanner does not use the DMR control channel. Instead, your scanner will attempt to scan all sites and all frequencies for each site to determine if there is activity to be monitored.

CanesFan95

Hmmm...

And since Cap+ uses a rest channel not a control channel...hmmmm...

Maybe now I'm glad I didn't spend the ca$h on this scanner.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
It works fine "trunk-tracking" DMR CON+ and CAP+. I can hold on TGs and it follows them just fine along side my Uniden BCD436HP. Sometimes a little better than Uniden on systems that use few frequencies.

troymail

Silent Key
It works fine "trunk-tracking" DMR CON+ and CAP+. I can hold on TGs and it follows them just fine along side my Uniden BCD436HP. Sometimes a little better than Uniden on systems that use few frequencies.

I concur - often times where I'm monitoring any given system side by side with the TRX-1 and 436, the 436 doesn't even stop on an active talkgroup that the TRX-1 is receiving. This isn't a surprise to me at all -- I've routinely seen the same thing on other system types - P25, Motorola, etc. Uniden doesn't do too badly if you hold on any given system but once you go into scan mode, it misses alot.

The TRX is much easier to program as well - just conventional or trunked. And, in conventional mode, where the Uniden "hangs" in conventional mode on DMR frequencies (perhaps data?), the TRX quickly resolves knowing it isn't voice and just keeps on scanning.

I've said for a long time (going back to the PSR-500 at least) that the Whislter (and GRE) radios are much better at detecting and stopping on activity than the Uniden models - and pretty much always decodes digital voice better without any "tweaking" required - and I stand by statement.

If a radio doesn't even detect activity, it doesn't much matter....

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Trunk Tracking is NOT a problem on the Whistlers. I have several DMR trunked systems and several P25 trunked systems I scan and they work as good as the Unidens. As Kikito said, sometimes better than the Unidens.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all!

On another TRX-1 topic, is anyone having issues with the scanning delay time? I have noticed that after a conversation is over, it seems to resume scanning very quickly, probably one second or less. I went into the software and changed the delay time for all channels to 4 seconds, but it seems to make little difference. Seems to affect both trunked and conventional channels. Anyone else seeing this?

I have not seen this. My TRX-1 and TRX-2 seem to work fine with delay set at 2 seconds.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I have not seen this. My TRX-1 and TRX-2 seem to work fine with delay set at 2 seconds.

I'm saying that with a 2 second delay, it's most definitely not 2 seconds before the radio resumes scanning, probably 1 second or less. I have adjusted my delay times to 4 seconds, and it doesn't wait 4 seconds.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
If you lock on a TG the scanner may look at all programed frequencies of the on hold TG looking for a conversation instead of looking at the Control Channel / Rest Channel.

Not just look for a conversation, but the correct (held) talkgroup. So if it does this without utilizing the control channel (or rest channel), then there must be some sub-audible data on the voice channels. Otherwise how would it know to unmute only on the held talkgroup and not just any conversation present?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Mine does as I listed and I have both the the TRX-1 and the TRX-2 when I push pause it hears only the held TG. If you hold on a TG that is what happens. Yes data is part of the transmitted signal.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Not just look for a conversation, but the correct (held) talkgroup. So if it does this without utilizing the control channel (or rest channel), then there must be some sub-audible data on the voice channels. Otherwise how would it know to unmute only on the held talkgroup and not just any conversation present?

Every single frequency (trunked or conventional) in use will transmit at all times the TG, Radio ID, Color, Slot, etc. What more could the scanner need to find any of your set criteria to track something?

Status
Not open for further replies.