TRX-1: TRX-1 no audio

NJFireD1

My TRX-1 speaker suddenly stopped working yesterday. I have never used the headphone port, so I tried plugging in headphones and I have no audio there either. I formatted the sd-card and reloaded it to no avail. When I keep the scanner on, I can see it capturing and locking onto traffic, just no audio coming out.
Anyone have any more ideas?

tvengr

Well Known Member
What is your county and which systems and agencies are you monitoring? Do you see "E" displayed on the screen? Does NOAA weather work? If you attach your programming file, we can check it for problems. Click on Attach files and Open the file.

Last edited:

NJFireD1

What is your county and which systems and agencies are you monitoring? Do you see "E" displayed on the screen? Does weather work? If you attach your programming file, we can check it for problems. Click on Attach files and Open the file.
I am in Morris County NJ and as I said everything was working until yesterday. I am not getting audio from the weather stations either. I would post my programming file but I am not sure which file to post from the directory.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you are not getting audio on weather, it sounds like a scanner problem. Connect your scanner to your computer with the scanner off. In EZ Scan go to the Scanner/SD Card tab and click on Copy Configuration From Scanner Memory/SD Card. Click on Yes at the overwrite warming. That will load the scanner contents into EZ Scan. Go to the File tab and click on Save Current Configuration To Archive. Replace the CDAT number with a name you will remember. That is the file to attach. That will tell me exactly what you have programmed in your scanner.

racingfan360

Sounds simple, but I assume you have tried turning the volume up and down using the keypad to check its not on mute?

Ubbe

Set it to record on a channel that you know are active a lot. Play the file in the scanner and then play it on the computer. Program key beep and set it loud and test if you get any beeps from the keypad. After doing that you can probably figure out where the problem are.

/Ubbe

NJFireD1

Set it to record on a channel that you know are active a lot. Play the file in the scanner and then play it on the computer. Program key beep and set it loud and test if you get any beeps from the keypad. After doing that you can probably figure out where the problem are.

/Ubbe
Just checked the recordings and they work and receive audio. Key beep is on in the software but not working through the speakers or headphone jack.

NJFireD1

If you are not getting audio on weather, it sounds like a scanner problem. Connect your scanner to your computer with the scanner off. In EZ Scan go to the Scanner/SD Card tab and click on Copy Configuration From Scanner Memory/SD Card. Click on Yes at the overwrite warming. That will load the scanner contents into EZ Scan. Go to the File tab and click on Save Current Configuration To Archive. Replace the CDAT number with a name you will remember. That is the file to attach. That will tell me exactly what you have programmed in your scanner.
here you go.

Attachments

• CDAT_2022-08-09_18-12.zip
    491.2 KB · Views: 13

tvengr

Well Known Member
I notice that you are missing the 700 Simulcast site for the Morris County system. They may be phasing out the UHF T-Band Simulcast site. The fact that there is no audio on weather on either the speaker or earpiece leads me to believe you may have a loose plug or wire off inside the scanner. If you feel safe removing the cover, it would be worth talking a look. I will continue to look for other problems with the file.

NJFireD1

I notice that you are missing the 700 Simulcast site for the Morris County system. They may be phasing out the UHF T-Band Simulcast site. The fact that there is no audio on weather on either the speaker or earpiece leads me to believe you may have a loose plug or wire off inside the scanner. If you feel safe removing the cover, it would be worth talking a look. I will continue to look for other problems with the file.
I took the cover off this evening and didn't see anything obvious. There was a black and white twisted pair running between the speaker and jack and it looked connected on both sides.
The 700 Morris Cty Site is in the radio as MC PH2. That system is still in testing and buildout it isn't implemented yet.

Ubbe

When you connect a plug in the earphone jack and change the volumes up and down arrows, does the display then say "Phones Vol" ? If not then it could be that jack that are malfunctioning, but all things point to a non working speaker amplifier.

/Ubbe

NJFireD1

When you connect a plug in the earphone jack and change the volumes up and down arrows, does the display then say "Phones Vol" ? If not then it could be that jack that are malfunctioning, but all things point to a non working speaker amplifier.

/Ubbe
It does say phones vol.
I was hoping for a simple problem but I'm going to have to send it for repair

Ubbe

I'm having the same problem no audio on trx 1
Set the earphone jack to IF out and listen if you hear noise using earphones. Then the receiver are at least working. Check if you have key beeps when the keypad are used and you have key beeps enabled and their volume turned up, when not having the IF out selected.

Push meny button, select an Object pudk enter, push menu to go to its settings and scroll down to Alarm. Select different alerts and they should sound in the speaker or headphone while you select them.

/Ubbe

Zachbrewton

Also no noise on The Weather Channel either that picks up the frequency fine if I record and transfer it to my computer I can hear it that is the only way

Zachbrewton

/Ubbe
Yes it says phones when I connect earphones or oxcord