TRX-1 or 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone in Central PA (or other parts as well) using a Whistler TRX-1 or 2? Trying to decide on a purchase of the TRX-2 but I was curious if anyone else already has one and has an opinion.

Thanks

KL

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Let's keep this thread PA related so it doesn't become a duplicate of your other similar thread in the Whistler forum.

PA members chime in.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
They sent me over here. Lol. I was probably going to replace the 996xt in my truck with the trx2 so I can take advantage of the features when I travel.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Where are you exactly in Central PA? I'm in eastern PA, I don't have a 996P2, but I do have a TRX-1 and TRX-2 and I do like them very much.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
One Pro to the TRX-2 would be the ability to decode NXDN out of the box. Not sure how much NXDN is in your area of PA though. I have found that there is not much NXDN being used yet in the Northampton County area. What NXDN we do have sounds great though. Decode very good even on weak signals. Same with DMR actually.

Although I haven't experienced this myself, I have read that the TRX series suffers from the same simulcast distortion as the Unidens. Some say this distortion is better, some say it's about the same. I'm far enough away from simulcast systems (Bucks/Berks) it really doesn't cause me problems.

I can't speak for analog except trunked. I don't listen to any analog conventional with either scanner. I do listen to Motorola and LTR analog trunked systems and they sound very good.

I have noticed that the TRX-1 and TRX-2 do not suffer from front end overload as some of the earlier GRE and Whistler scanners have.

Another Pro for the Whistler would be the customer support. Whistler has been excellent IMHO supporting the product after the sale. They have also taken suggestions for added features and have made some a reality to date.

goodmore

The Uniden scanners 436 and 536 had major distortion issues where I live. I sold them and picked up the trx 1 and 2. I couldn't be happier. I'm still new to these scanners and trying to figure them out as to all they can do. I will be trying DMR next week. Most DMR signals are businesses. Not much action on the weekends. Using a card reader works much better than the USB cable. Analog channels just sound bad to me on any scanner I use. Near my house or away from my house. Ambulance and fire dispatch are still analog here in Lancaster County. They usually get repeated over the trunked police system so I just stopped monitoring the analog. NXDN seems to be mostly rail here and I really am not into that. I might give it a try to see if anything worth while is discussed. Or just to make sure the TRX'S can decode them. I do believe PP&L use it also. I'm too far away from Indiantown Gap to monitor it. Listening to the military would be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.