TRX-1 or Uniden 325P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I am thinking of purchasing the TRX-1 as Whistler has a 25% off sale, to the end of the month. I'm trying to find out which scanner, the TRX-1 or Uniden 325P2, receives NXDN and DMR the best before the discount runs out. Also, the Uniden is more expensive as you have to buy the "keys" at $85.00 each.
Please reply as soon as possible and thanks in advance.
jimg

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You can buy the NXDN key direct from Uniden for $50 and DMR for $60 not the $85 price you quoted. It also depends on if you want to TRUNK TRACK NXDN and DMR UNIDEN or SCAN THE VOICE CHANNELS WHISTLER

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I would take the TRX-1. Longer battery life, audio record, LED alert, NXDN and DMR included. Decodes all digital modes on the fly. Lighted keypad.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I second the TRX-1 over the 325P2, great scanner. Some will be quick to tell you that the TRX-1 does not track DMR properly, but it receives DMR very well if not better than my Uniden scanners. I don't care if it doesn't decode or track it 'properly', as long as I am hearing it, that's ok by me. The TRX-1 shines on all bands and has great audio. You can't go wrong with that radio.

JD
kf4anc

milcom_chaser

325P2 over the TRX-1. Why? Actually track trunks systems. Display doesn't wash out in sunlight. Close Call signal capture. Programmable search limits including mode (AM, FM, FMN, etc) and step-size. Great audio performance on Digital and Analog. Work horse/tool box radio in your hand. Oh, easy to program with Freescan software!

nanZor

Since I like *both* Whistler and Uniden for different reasons, I can say that the whole dmr and nxdn trunk tracking is overblown in regards to Whistler for most casual listeners.

Reception of conventional dmr is just fine, and quite frankly so is NXDN - UNLESS you are totally *hard core*, and need to be ultra precise with following trunked capacity plus dmr systems for example, or trunked nxdn to the absolute limit as if your job depended on it. Ie, the TRX1/TRX2 will do just fine for most.

Ubbe

TRX scanners do DMR and NXDN decoding with much better quality than Uniden and there's no need to figure out LCN'n. Spectrum Sweeper have much greater range than CloseCall but CC can be used at the same time as normal scanning. But search functions and general user interface are way better on the Uniden as are squelch operations and VHF performance. Uniden do P25 extremly well. If only analog and P25 where needed then Uniden are a much better choice. If DMR and NXDN are a requirement then it's probably down to scanner size and cost as pro's and con's are more or less making the two scanners equal in performance. Which ever one you get will probably make you wonder if not the other scanner would had been a better choice. They are so different that both will be put to good use at the same time if you have money to spare.

/Ubbe

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
I have owned multiple Whistler and Uniden models. I currently have a 325P2, and in my area it runs circles around the TRX1/1088/1080 on P25 phase 1 systems and NXDN, I don't listen to DMR. The 325P2 is a fantastic receiver with great audio and a nice display. I sold all of my Whistler scanners due to constant missed transmissions, which I believe is due to overload as buddrousa mentioned. I second all the things milcom_chaser referenced above. Also with the 325P2 you have a choice of programming software any of which are far better than Ez-Scan.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Be aware that the Keypad on the 325P2 has a design flaw. The printing on the keypad wears off prematurely, within just a few months. Good luck getting this part from Uniden as it has been on backorder for months.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have owned multiple Whistler and Uniden models. I currently have a 325P2, and in my area it runs circles around the TRX1/1088/1080 on P25 phase 1 systems and NXDN, I don't listen to DMR. The 325P2 is a fantastic receiver with great audio and a nice display. I sold all of my Whistler scanners due to constant missed transmissions, which I believe is due to overload as buddrousa mentioned. I second all the things milcom_chaser referenced above. Also with the 325P2 you have a choice of programming software any of which are far better than Ez-Scan.
I'll second all of the above. There are several reasons "channels" are missed, including trying to scan too much at once (more than one trunked system).

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
While I agree with most of the Uniden 325 comments this one cracks me up. You obviously have never listened to a real radio to know what "great audio performance" is all about... e.g. XTS5000 or APX

And what really "cracks me up" is all of the posts on here comparing professional grade commercial radios to scanners. They are no way the same. The commercial radio was designed to operate on a certain set of frequencies and it will do that very well. Scanners will cover a huge part of the radio spectrum and has options for decoding multiple digital radio systems as well as VHF and UHF. Yes the XTS or APX radios work great on their respective radio systems, but show me one that can be programmed to receive VHF, UHF, 700/800Mhz trunking on Standard P25, DMR, NXDN, and Provoice as well (even though it's being phased out). If you have the ability and means to spend a couple thousand $$ on a radio, have it programmed accordingly then go for it. Personally I prefer something less "professional" that I can program the way I want it with a variety of different systems. Just a matter of preference.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Love my bcd325p2. Minor annoyances are battery life and no lit keypad. No experience with trx-1.

Hmm, then why are you in the Whistler forum? Inquiring minds want to know...

I find it funny that all of these Uniden fanboys (that don't even own a TRX or Whistler product) end up in this forum..? Do they feel so threatened that they must always defend their scanner purchases?

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
And what really "cracks me up" is all of the posts on here comparing professional grade commercial radios to scanners.

Boy are you off the mark. Must be off your Uniden pills for the day. I never compared the XTS or APX to any scanner. I am comparing HIS idea of what is "great audio" -- that's it.

Ironically, the only scanner that I can recall that did have good audio was my Realistic PRO-34. The PRO-2006 wasn't bad either -- but those were different times. I think the Uniden 780XLT had good audio but it's been so long ago I can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.