TRX-1 P25 Phase 1 System - Keeps Cutting out during broadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

Got a TRX-1 and got the P25 Phase 1 System I am using loaded in.
Sounds good but often during broadcasts it drops for a fraction of a second and comes back in.

I have squelch turned all the way to the left.
Signal shows full strength...
In EZ-SCAN -
1641248357914.png

Should I adjust anything like AGC / DWELL ?
Mode is NFM for the site.
On main page: Attenuation Settings Mode: Normal
Global Attenuation: Off

Also showing on Line 3 Radio ID is that taking to much processing? (as it switches often)

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Is this a simulcast site? If so then any Whistler isn't the best choice.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
It is not SIMULCAST - and yes if it was I know my SDS models would be best choice for that scenario...

Just thinking AGC / Mode / DWELL / Squelch may have something to do with it....

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
It is not SIMULCAST - and yes if it was I know my SDS models would be best choice for that scenario...

Just thinking AGC / Mode / DWELL / Squelch may have something to do with it....

Ok. I don't own that model, but my other GRE-based scanners work really well on non-simulcast. Sorry I wasn't any help though.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
@KevinC -No problem....and sure that is important to ask right off...because Simulcast is a very hard one to get one the Whistlers.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
PSX_20210625_212827.jpgPSX_20201128_100554.jpgView attachment 114545

Okay so go to the menu and try adjusting DSP, ADC, DAC... do it on the radio to hear real-time results. Before somebody points it out I understand that DSP may not address the dropout problem but I wanted to include everything I had and it's fun to experiment anyway.

Let us know if anything helps poster... Bob.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The only setting that could have any impact are the DSP level setting.

/Ubbe
LOL oh, and I thought the DSP would be the only one that wouldn't help but it's been a number of years since I used a Whistler radio and my trx-1 has not been used for years once we went tdma phase ll.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
As shown in the chart on DSP levels you should go up and down in increments of 7 from the default of 64 but I would go in increments of 5. As I was saying, it's a long time since I played with those settings but they did make some differences.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Ok @trentbob - I went into the radio and set the DSP to 64 / and ADC DAC to -1 and -2.

This is the system I am monitoring:

Also I assume NFM is what I want on the Site and DWELL as the Default .8s AGC-Off ABst off?
Yes for now just leave everything on default. I don't think it matters if AGC is on or off as it never really seemed to make a difference. There are times that using FM instead of narrow FM can improve things but use what the system calls for, If you want to play with dwell do it in one second increments.

I don't know your system but I want to take a harder look at it...

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
rvacs... so I've been looking at your system and having never seen it before but reading some of the information on it, apparently it has been in flux into a phase 1 p25 system? There are certainly reports of simulcast distortion. I've never had much luck with Whistler radios even on Phase 1 simulcast but it's very very location dependent.

I would be curious what sites you listen to and I would hope it's not more than one or two and what are your main talk groups that you focus on... Is it Tulsa?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I just saw that your address is in Tulsa and simulcast distortion is clearly a problem in the Tulsa area, especially in a mobile application where you're moving around. Its location based so you may find a sweet spot in a fixed location in your house somewhere. If your signal is good, perhaps a desensitized antenna, like a paperclip or a COMET CH-32 miracle baby could work better.

We normally ask what a person's system that they're trying to listen to is... It can save a lot of time LOL. I read that Tulsa is streamed and an sds200 is used for that stream. I'm going to go check that out now.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep it's an sds200 simulcast capable radio streaming Tulsa, Creek, Osage, Rogers and Washington counties. I stopped counting the talk groups when I hit 40:oops:.

Anyway, I think we found out what your problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.