TRX-1 programming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolbananalol2

Premium Subscriber
Is it best to have one set of talk groups in a trunking system in one scan list and another set in the other, or just to program the whole system in the one scan list? The system I have in mind covers a large portion of the state. Also, how would I get the scanner to hold on just one talk group if I hear something interesting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
I mean should I put the fire talk groups in one scan list and put ambulance in another, or just have them all in one scan list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's you call... I do this type of thing alot... in some cases, I have a single talkgroup in a scanlist... makes it easy to toggle on and off things I want to hear infrequently.

For example - these are all the same system in my county:

1 - County Fire dispatch
2 - County Fire routine
3 - County Fireground
4 - Western District police
5 - County police

Most times, I also create multiple copies of larger multi-site systems and only enable one site of those systems in each copy - and then assign each site's copy to a different scanlist (which can be further split across scanlists like I do above with my county system).

There are (rare) times where I'll "lump" several systems and/or conventional channels into a single scanlist but as you can imagine, if they are busy systems or channels, this isn't necessarily a good idea...

So - it's all up to how you want to program your radio and how much time you want to put into it.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Like TROY said you can make a playlist with all TG's then one with POLICE only one with FIRE only Ect that way you can listen to all then if an event happens you can track only one agency.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
To hold on a talkgroup, press play during the call. You can also hit the back arrow and then play if you get to it after the call. This takes you to the Browse Objects page for that object. Finally, you can go to browse objects and find the object you are interested in.

I offer the following guidelines for programming trunked systems:

• A scanlist should not contain both digital and conventional objects.
  • A scanlist show not contain more than one trunked system.
  • It is perfectly fine to split talkgroups from the same system into multiple scanlists (based on entity, category, etc.)
  • Create and use a wildcard for every trunked system.
  • Reserve scanlist one for a copy of the wildcards. This allows you to rapidly access various systems through the browse objects menu. This is the one exception to the second bullet point since you generally won't use this one to scan.
  • Import all known talkgroups, even if you aren't interested in them. Lock out the ones you do not want to hear. This prevents the wildcard from playing unwanted calls.
  • Enable recording for all objects.
  • Program only one site for each trunked system. Create a new system for each site. As Troy was saying, do not put the talkgroups for more than one system-site in the same scanlist.
If organization was the only consideration, there would be much more flexibility. However, scanner operation and performance can vary based on how the scanner is programmed. Using these tips, you will be able to operate the scanner in a manner that optimizes performance.

troymail

Silent Key
To hold on a talkgroup, press play during the call. You can also hit the back arrow and then play if you get to it after the call. This takes you to the Browse Objects page for that object. Finally, you can go to browse objects and find the object you are interested in.

I offer the following guidelines for programming trunked systems:

• A scanlist should not contain both digital and conventional objects.
  • A scanlist show not contain more than one trunked system.
  • It is perfectly fine to split talkgroups from the same system into multiple scanlists (based on entity, category, etc.)
  • Create and use a wildcard for every trunked system.
  • Reserve scanlist one for a copy of the wildcards. This allows you to rapidly access various systems through the browse objects menu. This is the one exception to the second bullet point since you generally won't use this one to scan.
  • Import all known talkgroups, even if you aren't interested in them. Lock out the ones you do not want to hear. This prevents the wildcard from playing unwanted calls.
  • Enable recording for all objects.
  • Program only one site for each trunked system. Create a new system for each site. As Troy was saying, do not put the talkgroups for more than one system-site in the same scanlist.
If organization was the only consideration, there would be much more flexibility. However, scanner operation and performance can vary based on how the scanner is programmed. Using these tips, you will be able to operate the scanner in a manner that optimizes performance.

Obviously, much of this is and will vary based on user experimentation, preference and interest.

A scanlist should not contain both digital and conventional objects.
A scanlist show not contain more than one trunked system.

You can put anything in a given scanlist - mix and match - the radio doesn't care. Scanlists are just "logical" groupings of things of interest. Scanlists simply provide an easy way to group things such that you can easily enable and disable the entire scanlist/group of things at the same time.

For some road trips, I've even put everything of interest (conventional, trunked, analog, digital) for each county along my trip in indivudual scanlists. As I drive, I just enable and disable entire counties of data by pressing 3-5 buttons (i.e. 2.3, 11.12, etc.)

Create and use a wildcard for every trunked system.

I record everything and have wildcards added by default when importing systems. However, this is because I'm always looking for new activity with an interest in learning who the user(s) of the new talkgroups are, etc. Just make sure you import all known talkgroups as Justin mentioned. They don't have to all be in the same scanlist or even enabled. But if you don't import all of them, the wildcard will find even those that are known and just not part of your configuration.

Enable recording for all objects.
Recording supports the "search for new things" effort. However, this isn't for everyone. Recording also allows you to go back and listen to what happened when you couldn't be there to hear it live. There are downsides to recording everything - primarily, the wear and tear on your SD card.

How you use the options comes down to how and what you like to listen to and what you learn from experimenting over time. I am constantly creating programming in different forms for general listening at home and for when I take road trips or vacations. Others just want to program their scanner and listen - and that's fine too. It's all up to you.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
And then you could even throw scan sets into the mix... But I'm not!

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
i need help manually programming Galveston p25 trunk system into my new Whistler TRX-1
scanner i cant seem to get it programmed need help

Status
Not open for further replies.