TRX-1 / PSR-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

mejnetguru

Question. I have been fighting the LSM issues with my TRX-1. Listening to FFX Cty PS P25 is essentially useless on the TRX no matter what I tinker with. Similar issues on STARS. Yes, I know about the antenna and directional considerations.

That said I have the older PSR-800 and it works (near 100% with only occasional garble) on the FFX system.

Programmed the same as the TRX, sitting right next to each other, using the same type of antenna (RS-800) the PSR is clear as day while the TRX is garble or no-decode at all.

The TRX is supposed to be an improved PSR-800, but they degraded performance somehow?

Am I missing something I can program to fix the TRX? I don't carry multiple portables when mobile, and the TRX-1 is what I wanted to move with due to the DMR/NXDN (one scanner for all) with keypad for quicker switching things around.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Question. I have been fighting the LSM issues with my TRX-1. Listening to FFX Cty PS P25 is essentially useless on the TRX no matter what I tinker with. Similar issues on STARS. Yes, I know about the antenna and directional considerations.

That said I have the older PSR-800 and it works (near 100% with only occasional garble) on the FFX system.

Programmed the same as the TRX, sitting right next to each other, using the same type of antenna (RS-800) the PSR is clear as day while the TRX is garble or no-decode at all.

The TRX is supposed to be an improved PSR-800, but they degraded performance somehow?

Am I missing something I can program to fix the TRX? I don't carry multiple portables when mobile, and the TRX-1 is what I wanted to move with due to the DMR/NXDN (one scanner for all) with keypad for quicker switching things around.

I've had the same experience.

My PSR-800 outperforms my TRX-1 on a local LSM system, and I have no idea why. I've duplicated the digital settings, and that seems to make no difference. Something changed, and I suspect only Whistler knows what it was . . . or maybe not.

I've thought about buying a Unication G5, especially since their prices seem to be coming down, but I'd still like to know what's going on with the TRX-1.

Hang in there!

-Johnnie

Nasby

I love my PSR800. It performs wonderfully on my local LSM systems.

I had done the F/W change to make it a WS1080 but found the digital reception actually declined (lots of garbled transmissions, etc).

I ended up changing it back to the PSR800 and have never looked back. It's a great unit.

mejnetguru

Definitely sounds like a firmware issue then and not something in the hardware if using the franken-firmware to make a 800 into 1080 downgrades LSM performance just like the TRX is out-of-box.

I already mucked with the DSP settings, with no effect anywhere. Basically just useless on P25 (simulcast) systems, which covers a lot of my area. :(

I'm a multi-band/service scanner user depending on my mood and/or where I am. So using a Unication kinda defeats the point if I have to drag multiple units around with me to switch between stuff. Kinda sucks to have an expensive TRX that I can really only use on analog and DMR/NXDN and is having to go back to the older model for P25.

Hopefully Whistler can sort this out. Listening Wendy?

Status
Not open for further replies.