TRX-1: TRX-1 Reviews Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBase1

Hi myself personally my trx1 is deaf n dumb lol and verrrry lazy, will not do as its told. Threatened it to act like a radio or i will take to teeeeeeny peeecies and make a macarno set out if its guts. :mad::mad:

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
Over the years I have owned a PSR800, Pro668, 2 different TRX-1's, 2 Different TRX-2's and a WS1098. My experience is not all these radios were created equal. Some worked better than others, depending on the situation. My opinion is that when you buy one, it is going to be a crap shoot as to how well it is going to work for you. If you acquire one that is working good for you, hang on to it. The next one may not work as well.

n6hgg

I bought my trx1 and later found out about the horror stories that Uniden owners were having with cold solder and support response issues. The horror stories are all I needed to hear to keep me away from Uniden. The TRX-1 I bought is a fabulous little machine. I'll spare the details, but I got it new for $382 and wish I had bought two of them. They are about $513 now. I charge it in the case with a USB connector, I probably had the case off three times in a year. Zero annoyances, but hey I remember the 8 channel Crystal Scanners from 1972. I could never be annoyed by some of the things that bother people these days. The scanner is amazing. Simulcast and multipath issues I have dealt with. Like somebody said, it's just a little bit more fiddly.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
I went from a pair of Unident 325P2's to a TRX-1 and was never happier. The Unidon'ts were utter garbage, even on a massive 7/800mhz 6 cell simulcast system. Hilariously enough, a few months after I switched, that system upgraded to a new flavor of SmartZone (7.17 I think) and the TRX had no simulcast issues.

Over the next few years I bought 3 more TRX-1s. They're my workhorses and handle whatever I throw at them. I'm on the road 200+ days a year for work and they've adapted to any environment, from arctic Alaska at -40* and a barren radio wasteland, to Vegas in the summer at 115* and more RF than anyone can handle. A few times guest lecturing at the LAPD Academy was a joyous experience due to all useful the radio info extracted. I've taken them OCONUS and found them to still work wonders...even if I only understand "bathroom", "bar" and "taxi" in the local lingo.

I despaired at EZ-Scan for about 3 days before it "clicked" in my head. It's supermely intuitive to me, unlike "sentinel", which reminds me of the Mac video from years ago:

Before "that guy" comes in screaming in all caps that the Whistlers "DO NOT TRUNKTRACK!!!" (which is a completely made-up Unidamn marketing word), I'll state I've never had an issue, whether on a multi-state Capacity Max system or a 2 channel small hotel Cap+ system. VHF phase-1? UHF phase-2? 7/8/900 phase 1 or 2? All no issues.

Clean living, multiple marriages, caffeine and nicotine have paid many dividends when it comes to scanning luck.

Unfortunately, I also had to lately purchase a 436HP due to my new hometown using ProVoice. Daily, I have to talk myself out of throwing that POS into a river...at an alligator...while on fire. In years gone by, I'd owned a Pro94 that was a colossal waste of money. I once made the statement it was the worst radio I've ever owned (out of around 30 radios). Now, I think I've found a worthy contender for that title.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Good for them. Fact remains it came into existence with the marketing for the Unidon't BC235XLT. I remember the ads in all the print magazines and the logo on the scanner itself "TRUNKTRACKER"!!!

Anyhow, I stand by the TRX line. Never steered me wrong, even when I abused one by feeding it with a Comtelco multiband antenna that was unfortunately located 3 feet from a 25w mobile antenna on a road trip. 2 weeks at Whistler and it can hear again.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
I own a TRX1 and TRX2 they work good for someone that does not understand Trunking RF setup.
I use mine until I get the system figured out then my Unidens run circles around TRX scanners.
(setting aside the implied insult) I guess I could reply that Unidents work good for someone who only wants to download the RR database and "listen to muh cops"?

Use what works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.