TRX-1: TRX-1 runs for awhile then displays error detected

chris451rr

I have 3 of these TRX-1 radios.
One of them would run fine for awhile then start giving an ERROR DETECTED message.
I thought I would try 'formatting card' then copy configuration to scanner.
Then it started showing an error after turning it on and beginning the scanning.
I thought, maybe there is a bit flipped in the firmware lets reload that.
OK using the TRX-1 software, I updated cpu firmware and dsp firmware.
I inserted a fresh formatted memory card which had configuration copied to it (via SD card reader not via USB).
Turning it on, a message updating firmware came on.
Pull out the battery and turn it on again, same thing "updating firmware" ... update failed.
I did a search for 'cpu update mode' which landed me here, I saw one place it said hold menu and plug in USB.
That did not work, same 'updating firmware' again and again.
I pulled out the battery and held menu key on the radio, and put the battery back in, finally CPU UPDATE mode.
Now the program was able to update firmware, and this time it succeeded. The first try failed, but changed cables and tried it again this way. Pull battery. Hold menu. Put in battery. >>>> CPU UPDATE mode.
I also updated DSP the first time and it looks like thats OK and its running now so that did work the first time.
Very hit and miss to get the updates to work.
To sum it up: Radio crashes with ERROR DETECTED 4-04.Select a new short USB cable.
Use a new SD or reformat the existing SD(8GB) without quick format checked with trx-1 pc app.
Copy configuration to the SD with the USB cable or by pulling the card and use a USB to SD adapter.
Update CPU and DSP even if its the latest version it will reload it.
If the update fails use CPU Update mode by pulling power and USB and holding menu, power back up(battery preferred). Perform update check and do the update even if the latest version shows.
It looks like its staying up and running for a half hour now, without the crash.
I'm going to make a backup card of current configuration using an older 8gb SD,(probably had trouble with that card too). I'll do the (not quick) format on it and copy configuration.
I have 16 virtual scanner folders. A lot are very old, and I have to try them all to find which one is the latest one.
I am looking for how you see which virtual folder the radio is starting with.

TAbirdman

Make sure that you are using SanDisk brand SD cards. Whistler's don't seem to like anything else. On the 4-00 error, whistler has a video on how to resolve it -

Ubbe

All the 4- error codes are related to start up where it checks all components, the checksum of firmware for CPU and DSP and the display and keypad communication.

As you struggle to update the firmware I would guess it is a bad memory chip.

/Ubbe

Blackswan73

I’m not sure about the TRX series but older Whistlers and RS scanners needed to have the SD cards formatted With a SD card utility called SD card format. Something about the default Windows format didn’t work right. I know the WS series needed to use the utility to format a new card. BTW, my 1095 worked fine with a PNY card

B.S.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
You can format the card in ezscan., I strongly recommend you use a card reader (less errors that the usb cable) but if you do not have one, turn scanner off, connect to pc, open ezscan...select prepare card, check format ( you will loose all info on the card), check off copy library and configuration.

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
This sound like what Uniden requires the SD card has to be. Fat 32 format only.

rbluesky

I have 3 of these TRX-1 radios.
One of them would run fine for awhile then start giving an ERROR DETECTED message.
I thought I would try 'formatting card' then copy configuration to scanner.
Then it started showing an error after turning it on and beginning the scanning.
I thought, maybe there is a bit flipped in the firmware lets reload that.
OK using the TRX-1 software, I updated cpu firmware and dsp firmware.
I inserted a fresh formatted memory card which had configuration copied to it (via SD card reader not via USB).
Turning it on, a message updating firmware came on.
Pull out the battery and turn it on again, same thing "updating firmware" ... update failed.
I did a search for 'cpu update mode' which landed me here, I saw one place it said hold menu and plug in USB.
That did not work, same 'updating firmware' again and again.
I pulled out the battery and held menu key on the radio, and put the battery back in, finally CPU UPDATE mode.
Now the program was able to update firmware, and this time it succeeded. The first try failed, but changed cables and tried it again this way. Pull battery. Hold menu. Put in battery. >>>> CPU UPDATE mode.
I also updated DSP the first time and it looks like thats OK and its running now so that did work the first time.
Very hit and miss to get the updates to work.
To sum it up: Radio crashes with ERROR DETECTED 4-04.Select a new short USB cable.
Use a new SD or reformat the existing SD(8GB) without quick format checked with trx-1 pc app.
Copy configuration to the SD with the USB cable or by pulling the card and use a USB to SD adapter.
Update CPU and DSP even if its the latest version it will reload it.
If the update fails use CPU Update mode by pulling power and USB and holding menu, power back up(battery preferred). Perform update check and do the update even if the latest version shows.
It looks like its staying up and running for a half hour now, without the crash.
I'm going to make a backup card of current configuration using an older 8gb SD,(probably had trouble with that card too). I'll do the (not quick) format on it and copy configuration.
I have 16 virtual scanner folders. A lot are very old, and I have to try them all to find which one is the latest one.
I am looking for how you see which virtual folder the radio is starting with.
Look into Sandisk HIGH ENDURANCE SD cards made for a lot of reading and writing and format using the ezscan software FAT32

Ubbe

Usually it isn't really the read and write cycles that wear out a SD card. In that case it would hold up to 10 years of constant recordings 24/7 of audio files, and much longer if you only program the scanner and not do any audio recordings.

For the TRX scanners it is the operating system or the interface to the SD card that trash files on the card. The SD card are fine but needs to be reformatted to clear the file table errors. I've tried the slowest card for a Playstation 1 and the superfast newest SD cards for 4k video recording but it is the same issue with file errors with all cards on my TRX scanners. If I take out the SD card and use directly on my PC I no longer get programming errors but there are always a couple of recorded audio files that have errors and cannot be read.

/Ubbe

Gronner8

just me, but always smarter to let the card stay in radio & although super slow in comparison, i _never_ get errors if all writing including formatting or "optimizing" is done via connected to pc letting radio do the writing, so of course it will certainly be able to faultlessly read what it wrote. If i have the card in a pc or reader instead & write to it, as soon as windows sees it it claims an error may have occurred, please run this check, it does it, finds nothing every time, then works. thats just flakey - dont trust that. I Never have card problems if i let the radio read what it itself wrote! keep it simple, straightforward less issues created

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
just me, but always smarter to let the card stay in radio & although super slow in comparison, i _never_ get errors if all writing including formatting or "optimizing" is done via connected to pc letting radio do the writing, so of course it will certainly be able to faultlessly read what it wrote. If i have the card in a pc or reader instead & write to it, as soon as windows sees it it claims an error may have occurred, please run this check, it does it, finds nothing every time, then works. thats just flakey - dont trust that. I Never have card problems if i let the radio read what it itself wrote! keep it simple, straightforward less issues created

I find just the opposite, writing to the radio has a higher chance of errors being in files.

Ubbe

Using the same cable, same PC, and Uniden scanners never have any issues with errors on SD cards when programming or with recorded audio files. Using EZ-Scan to upgrade firmware and DSP often creates problems, and sometimes impossible to do, but using Whistlers stand-alone upgrade program works much better.

/Ubbe

chris451rr

On the SD card I have been using, I ran a low level format on it, and reloaded it from the data in the TRX-1 software, and very carefully shut it off when taking it off 'base station' power.
And, only run it on battery in mobile and carry spare batteries to change to.
. I also fabricated an aluminum support for the USB plug,
that keeps it from drooping down. Just make an L 3/4x3/4" by 1/4" wide from .050 aluminum.
Round off the sharp edges. PUll the rubber cover back and insert when on "base station".
Tie a cord around your antenna and loop thru the case. Prevent wear on the bnc prongs by just slipping it on, many of my radios get the bnc jack worn out by the bnc cord retainer. I have 20+ year old icoms that I keep running, that are so worn out. Like the R-20 and R-10's .. very unique radios.
Pre cell block on the R10's.

YoShep69

Premium Subscriber
If i have the card in a pc or reader instead & write to it, as soon as windows sees it it claims an error may have occurred, please run this check, it does it, finds nothing every time,
When Windows does that to me, I let Windows repair the card. After that it’s good for maybe five or six more read and writes, and then it will show in the error again. I just keep repeating the process. I should get another card reader, mine might be flaky.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
When Windows does that to me, I let Windows repair the card. After that it’s good for maybe five or six more read and writes, and then it will show in the error again. I just keep repeating the process. I should get another card reader, mine might be flaky.
More than likely your card is failing. Sometimes when windows won't fix the card, I bring them back using a device to format such as a digital photo pic frame or camera, android tablet etc...but more times than not, they need to be replaced.

Ubbe

After that it’s good for maybe five or six more read and writes, and then it will show in the error again.
For each write you do it leaves the old data on the card and jump to the next free sectors of memory. When it reaches the end of the memory it starts from the beginning again and first then starts to overwrite old data and reuse that memory sector.

So you have some bad controller in the SD card or a bad connection to the card.

/Ubbe