TRX-1: TRX-1 screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I am extremely disappointed with the screen of my TRX-1.
It has scratches and gouges and they come so easily.
I was cleaning the screen and scratched it with my fingernail. Then I put it in my work bag and took it out on my lunch break and it has another scratch.
Is there a way to replace the screen and does anyone know the cost? I spent $500 and it has numerous scratches and that's disappointing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ11DLN

Welcome to the wonderful world of consumer-grade radios. This is a topic that has been discussed countless times, and most are in general agreement with you, but a lot of commercial LMR radios have poor-quality screens that scratch easily too. Some folks have cut down smartphone screen protectors to fit with varying degrees of success...do a search and you'll find tons of posts here. There are protective cases available too, which I don't think much of...not the concept, the quality of what's out there now. A good fitted leather or injection-molded case, with a Gorilla glass screen cover, is something I've hoped somebody would produce for these scanners, but that's for another topic.

Meantime, short of sending the radio back to Whistler for a new screen, which likely would not be covered by the warranty, you're just kinda stuck with the scratches.:(

Swipesy

Depending on how deep the scratches are you might be able to remove them with plastic scratch remover. You can buy at automotive stores. There are two kinds, one for plastic and one for clear coat paint. If you buy be sure it is for plastic which is less abrasive.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
While this won't help with current scratches, what I did was went to a cell phone store that puts on screen protectors. For less than $15 they custom made one for me.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I am going to get the the scratch filler and the plastic screen suggested above. But if you look closely, the scratches are just from my finger nail. It's ridiculous
9fe66a4abdc7fb1c9bfb0f375eacd82f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swipesy

Meguiars PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish
Part# CTPP

$5.95

Meguiars PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish gently removes light oxidation chemical degradation surface contamination stains and light surface scratches with ease. It features water resistant polymers that provide long lasting durable protection. This cleaner and polish contains rich gel formula that quickly restores optical clarity to both rigid and flexible clear plastics.

DJ11DLN

Meguiars PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish
Part# CTPP

$5.95

Meguiars PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish gently removes light oxidation chemical degradation surface contamination stains and light surface scratches with ease. It features water resistant polymers that provide long lasting durable protection. This cleaner and polish contains rich gel formula that quickly restores optical clarity to both rigid and flexible clear plastics.
I need to get some of that. I got some store-brand stuff from NAPA to use on my car's cloudy/scratched headlight lenses, but it didn't work worth a hoot; I was thinking new housings ($80/side) was going to be the endgame. And I never even thought about using it to remove scratches from my radio displays. Thanks for the suggestion!:wink:

TAbirdman

All this are great suggestions if you removed the plastic protective cover that's on the unit. If not then what you are scratching is the protective film.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
About 2 weeks after I removed the temporary screen protector on my first 1080, I had already scratched up the screen. I bought these (http://amzn.to/2mgNZXX) and put them on pretty much all of my displays. It's a day late and a dollar short for existing scratches.

You can take apart the scanner case and replace the plastic on the case. It's separate from the LCD display. I am not sure what would be best to replace it with: Probably some medium weight polypropylene sheets. Remove the old one and glue in the new one.

For informational purposes, you should call Whistler and complain about the screen quality. See if they will fix it.

At the very least, they should start including a note on bright colored paper warning of screen scratches. Even better, they could spend $0.50 and thrown in a free screen protector.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
YEP! My TRX is a week and a half old, and in daylight I can barely see it because of all the light scratches in the CHEAP plastic they used. Once the backlight comes on they kind of disappear, but this is definitely a "Common Man"!!

I would NOT recommend those "clear plastic cleaners" posted. I've tried many of those to no avail. Maybe your luck will be better but they have never worked for me.

I'm going to have to get a screen protector and cut it to size, great suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.