TRX-1 search and sweeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayvelcoro

Anyone else notice that Spectrum Sweeper doesn't pick up and play anything? Walked through a busy mall doing a 450-470 Mhz sweep amidst known RF activity detected by a BC-125AT handheld and picked up nothing. Also, does "limit search" pick up analog FM UHF freqs? It should. I'm noticing a problem here, as well.

troymail

Silent Key
Anyone else notice that Spectrum Sweeper doesn't pick up and play anything? Walked through a busy mall doing a 450-470 Mhz sweep amidst known RF activity detected by a BC-125AT handheld and picked up nothing.
I've used Spectrum sweeper and had it stop on numerous things. It does work. You may want to select specific bands to search to improve chances of catching activity.
Also, does "limit search" pick up analog FM UHF freqs? It should. I'm noticing a problem here, as well.
Yes - absolutely.

SCPD

QRT
If you set the Slope,Threshold and delay to lower settings I find it to work better!

My Settings :
DSP Level 62
ADC +0
DAC +0

ZM DELAY 100

ZM THRESHOLD 900

ZM SLOPE 450

Anyone else have better settings?

Last edited:

Machria

Premium Subscriber
If you set the Slope,Threshold and delay to lower settings I find it to work better!

My Settings :
DSP Level 62
ADC +0
DAC +0

ZM DELAY 100

ZM THRESHOLD 900

ZM SLOPE 450

Where are these settings in the sweeper??

Ubbe

You most likely can't use zeromatic at all outside of US as the step sizes aren't 100% correct for other countries.

/Ubbe

Melv7956

I've read loads of reports that spectrum sweeper doesn't work but on my trx1 and trx2 it works brilliantly. Much better than close call on the unidens although not as fast as close call. I use it whenever I visit a new town/ shopping mall etc It will pick aircraft out of the sky up to ten miles away and normal radio repeaters up to about three miles as a guide on an external or trx2 telescopic attached and on the trx1 antenna this range is reduced a lot but still far better than close call. If I need to reduce the range I turn attenuation on. Great feature use it all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grahampaull

I've read loads of reports that spectrum sweeper doesn't work but on my trx1 and trx2 it works brilliantly. Much better than close call on the unidens although not as fast as close call. I use it whenever I visit a new town/ shopping mall etc It will pick aircraft out of the sky up to ten miles away and normal radio repeaters up to about three miles as a guide on an external or trx2 telescopic attached and on the trx1 antenna this range is reduced a lot but still far better than close call. If I need to reduce the range I turn attenuation on. Great feature use it all the time.

Could you let us know what your ZM settings are for Threshold, Slope and Delay ?

I get 1 or 2 hits on VHF and I live in a city (Belfast, Northern Ireland) and that's it.

Ubbe

Could you let us know what your ZM settings are for Threshold, Slope and Delay ?

I get 1 or 2 hits on VHF and I live in a city (Belfast, Northern Ireland) and that's it.

Just turn it off and see if it improves. If it does and you get a lot of frequencies that are one channel step offset you can begin to experiment with the zeromatic settings after you enable it.

Using CloseCall on Uniden at home it didn't react much but after putting a FM trap inline it constantly catches air traffic even if I don't see or hear any airplanes. Looking at FlightRadar24 the airplanes are many miles away both horisontal and vertical. Haven't really tried Whistlers Sweeper but will see what happens if I sweep the airband as a comparison.

/Ubbe

RocketNJ

Changed my TRX-1 advanced DSP settings to the suggested 62, +0 and +0 and the local PD conventional RAS enabled DMR repeater seems to decode quicker.

Haven't tried the Spectrum Sweeper yet.

Ubbe

Haven't really tried Whistlers Sweeper but will see what happens if I sweep the airband as a comparison.

No airband in sweeper mode.

Would be nice if sweeper could be configured to enable/disable ALL the different bands and not only the public safety ones. I have nothing below 70MHz (only some wireless babywatch) and above 470MHz (only television and mobile phones) that I need to search or sweep.

/Ubbe

woodpecker

No airband in sweeper mode.

Would be nice if sweeper could be configured to enable/disable ALL the different bands and not only the public safety ones. I have nothing below 70MHz (only some wireless babywatch) and above 470MHz (only television and mobile phones) that I need to search or sweep.

/Ubbe

There is Airband in sweeper mode 108-137

You can also enable or disable the individual bands by pressing menu when in All Bands mode, scroll up and select or deslect the bands you want.

Ubbe

There is Airband in sweeper mode 108-137

You can also enable or disable the individual bands by pressing menu when in All Bands mode, scroll up and select or deslect the bands you want.

Thanks.

I thought I did that but only found that sub menu in the public safety menu. I had all bands enabled except air and even, to me, useless 700-800MHz. Perhaps it is a default as I don't remember why wanting to sweep upper UHF and lower VHF.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

Sweeper picks up plenty more than closecall does. If the background noise is high it will sweep as slow as a search but using a variable attenuater will dial in the perfect level where it sweeps 118-470MHz in less than 3 seconds.

The delay setting only adds one second of delay so there's no chance of hearing any response to the call, that is possible when using closecall. And the audio only opens anyway with only really strong signals that triggers the sweep detect. So it's use are only to find frequencies and not to monitor unknown whole conversations that you can do with closecall.

It wouldn't hurt if Whistler could enable full reception while staying on a frequency and engage trigger mode only when sweeper starts again and change the delay time to 3-5 sec.

/Ubbe

Melv7956

Sweeper picks up plenty more than closecall does. If the background noise is high it will sweep as slow as a search but using a variable attenuater will dial in the perfect level where it sweeps 118-470MHz in less than 3 seconds.

The delay setting only adds one second of delay so there's no chance of hearing any response to the call, that is possible when using closecall. And the audio only opens anyway with only really strong signals that triggers the sweep detect. So it's use are only to find frequencies and not to monitor unknown whole conversations that you can do with closecall.

It wouldn't hurt if Whistler could enable full reception while staying on a frequency and engage trigger mode only when sweeper starts again and change the delay time to 3-5 sec.

/Ubbe

Ubbe you can change the delay time in sweeper and limit search I currently have mine set at 5 seconds as I found the default one second would result in like you say missing the replies and meaning the scanner would zoom off searching again before I could press the pause button.

liljake1330

My Settings :
DSP Level 62
ADC +0
DAC +0

ZM DELAY 100

ZM THRESHOLD 900

ZM SLOPE 450

Although the ADC & DAC are audio settings and won't improve the effectiveness of the Spectrum Sweep, modifying the other settings (and turning off Zeromatic) has certainly helped, and has given me a starting point to further tweak these settings. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.