TRX-1 vs BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RClary11

From what I understand the TRX-1 doesn't pick up trunked systems on DMR or NXDN. Though if I were to get the
BCD436HP and upgrade to to the two systems, would it be better able to pick up them up? Thanks.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Yes it does, it just handles things a little differently. The TRX essentially scans the voice channels looking for activity where the Uniden follows the control channel for instructions. Whistler did it the quick and dirty way, Uniden did it the 'official' way by licensing the products. With the systems around me I had zero complaints when I had my Whistler but I've heard others say that it will miss calls on large, busy trunked systems.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
From what I understand the TRX-1 doesn't pick up trunked systems on DMR or NXDN.
That's not exactly the case. The TRX-1, as well as other Whistler scanners that can receive DMR, don't actually follow DMR systems and trunk-track them, like is the case for P25 systems as an example. However, they do allow the entry of talkgroup IDs, and can be set to only stop and monitor the programmed TGIDs. If the system is not extremely large, or very busy, their method works reasonably well. The Uniden scanners do actually follow (trunk-track) a system if it is correctly set up, with the LCNs being used. Uniden pays a fee for each scanner upgraded for DMR, so the upgrade fee is in place to address the additional cost. As the Whistler scanners do not actually follow the system, no upgrade fee is being charged. The TRX-1 & TRX-2 can also receive NXDN, but again, they only receive it and can be programmed with specific talkgroups.

Though if I were to get the BCD436HP and upgrade to to the two systems, would it be better able to pick up them up? Thanks.

The 436HP, with the DMR and/or NXDN upgrades, would actually trunk track the system(s) correctly, whereas the TRX-1 will not. But, as already noted, you may find that the method the TRX-1 uses may be satisfactory to you. Hopefully, someone in your area that has the TRX-1 (or it's sibling the TRX-2) can comment how well it works for them. (I see Forts jumped in while I was typing.)

In my area, for the two NXDN public safety systems that I monitor, My TRX-1 will miss some calls that my 436HP or SDS100 catch.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
The TRX 1 in fact does receive trunked DMR and NXDN. The difference between Uniden and Whistler is this: Whistler scans only the voice frequencies to follow the system, it does not use the control channel frequency. The Uniden uses the control channel frequency to follow the system. If the DMR or NXDN system you wish to follow is not very busy, the Whistler can work just as well as the Uniden. If the system is very busy, the Whistler will potentially miss more comms than the Uniden.

I have both scanners and an NXDN system that is not very busy. The TRX 1 works just as well as the 436HP on this system. YMMV, again depending on the amount of radio traffic on the system.

RClary11

The TRX 1 in fact does receive trunked DMR and NXDN. The difference between Uniden and Whistler is this: Whistler scans only the voice frequencies to follow the system, it does not use the control channel frequency. The Uniden uses the control channel frequency to follow the system. If the DMR or NXDN system you wish to follow is not very busy, the Whistler can work just as well as the Uniden. If the system is very busy, the Whistler will potentially miss more comms than the Uniden.

I have both scanners and an NXDN system that is not very busy. The TRX 1 works just as well as the 436HP on this system. YMMV, again depending on the amount of radio traffic on the system.
What i wonder, is It would the TRX-1 be able to pick up this taxi that uses NXDN. It's on this site, KTN taxi. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8070

Ubbe

If you still consider DMR as an important factor when choosing scanner, you have to remember that Whistler have still not addressed trunked DMR systems that uses a RAS key. It doesn't decode those systems at all and only handle RAS as one conventional frequency without being able to manage the TG's. I hope Whistler still does functional addon updates to their firmwares and not just bandaid bug fixes.

/Ubbe

slicerwizard

Tillsonburg isn't a large busy site and never will be, so no worries on that front. Ubbe raises a good point though.

If you're just monitoring at home, a $25 dongle and DSD+ will get the job done.

RClary11

If you still consider DMR as an important factor when choosing scanner, you have to remember that Whistler have still not addressed trunked DMR systems that uses a RAS key. It doesn't decode those systems at all and only handle RAS as one conventional frequency without being able to manage the TG's. I hope Whistler still does functional addon updates to their firmwares and not just bandaid bug fixes.

/Ubbe

The only system I know of that uses DMR in my area is the Oxford Country FD, and it can be heard on the TRX-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.