TRX-1, Wildcard Help & Logging Radio IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
What's the purpose of a Wildcard, and how do I use it effectively? The manual is kind of vague about it.

In the EZ-Scan software there is a section under each trunked system labelled Radio IDs. What's the purpose for this and how do I log IDs into the system?

Thanks for the help!

mikey60

What's the purpose of a Wildcard, and how do I use it effectively? The manual is kind of vague about it.

A wildcard will hit on any talkgroup that has not been previously stored in the system. It allows you to scan the system for new users and talkgroups that may appear over time.

In the EZ-Scan software there is a section under each trunked system labelled Radio IDs. What's the purpose for this and how do I log IDs into the system?

The RadioID section performs two tasks. First, it allows you to provide an alpha tag for any radio ID on the system being monitored. That way, once you've determined who is using a specific radio, you can have the scanner display "Unit 10" instead of a number like 43014.

The second function, is that once programmed (or if a wildcard is added to the radio ID list), when that radio starts a private call to another system user, you would be able to hear that conversation. Some of that depends on the system and how it's set up (i.e. you may only hear one side of the conversation unless both units are on the same site).

Mike

N8IAA

Thanks for the help!

If you're wanting to see what comes up on the wildcard, here's what I do. I set the wildcard to REC. This way, when it becomes active, I have a log of the date, the system, TGID's, RID's, and what is actually said on the TG.
Used to miss a lot of wildcard hits while mobile.

Larry

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The RadioID section performs two tasks. First, it allows you to provide an alpha tag for any radio ID on the system being monitored. That way, once you've determined who is using a specific radio, you can have the scanner display "Unit 10" instead of a number like 43014.

The second function, is that once programmed (or if a wildcard is added to the radio ID list), when that radio starts a private call to another system user, you would be able to hear that conversation. Some of that depends on the system and how it's set up (i.e. you may only hear one side of the conversation unless both units are on the same site).

Mike

If I read the manual/help screen correctly, if you do not enter a "Wildcard" for the RID then the scanner will ONLY pick up traffic from the RID stored in that section. Is this correct?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Issues with storing RIDs in TRX

Decided to try using the RIDs in my TRX-1 to see how it worked out. While I agree it made it nice to identify the user when scanning, I did find an issue for myself.

I run several broadcast feeds, two on Radio Reference/Broadcastify and one private feed using RadioFeed, I also use TRX Android Suite for logging and remote listening. Unfortunately, what I discovered with the software is that, though the RID alpha tag appears on the scanner, this software does not display the information and displays no RID for talkgroups using the RID Alpha Tag.

Another thing to be aware of is if you enter a RID Alpha Tag and still want to monitor all radios on the system be sure to add the "Wildcard". Otherwise it only monitors the RIDs you have entered and excludes all other radios.

For normal scanner listening this is a great feature, but if using logging or feed software it might not work. Be sure to test it before using.

mikey60

If I read the manual/help screen correctly, if you do not enter a "Wildcard" for the RID then the scanner will ONLY pick up traffic from the RID stored in that section. Is this correct?

When referring to private calls, yes. You'll still see those radios in Group calls, as long as the Talkgroup is programmed or a group wildcard is used.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.