TRX-1 Wont power on

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigC801

Anyone have any ideas before I send it back, I just got it today and it has no life at all,

Tried different Batteries, plugged into the computer nothing works no matter how long you hold the power button.

I waited all weekend for this thing, this pisses me off thanks.

joeyjimmie

power on

I have had this situation many times.
Try taking one battery out for a moment then return it and see what happens.
Try with no cable to computer if that does not work try with UBS cable to computer.
If this does not work call Brian at Whistler before you return it. He may have a solution
He resolved many problems I had in the early days and he did it very quickly over the phone.
He knows his stuff.
Good Luck.

BigC801

Thanks for the replys, I did try all the steps listed except calling wistler,
I even redid the sd card, the scanner never showed any signs of life, no power at all to the screen.

They said it was new and I don't have a reason to doubt it but it did have scraches on the screen protector.

The serial number look low to me too, it was 1738 i think. I would think they would be higher by now. Just a guess

BigC801

Sorry you are having trouble it is a great little scanner and you will love it when you get it up and running.

Thanks buddrousa, I agree, I am ready for the NXDN!

I have the Trx-2 and love it, except for I can't stress enough how bad the software is, but its workable I guess lol.

BigC801

Just an update, the dealer got the scanner back today it it started right up for them, :mad: WTH, I feel stupid but It would not work for me at all.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Slightly different power issue

I got my TRX-1 today, I had done some reading before it arrived and I followed the instructions on the quick start handout.

As soon as I installed batteries, the scanner started right up. I got to the step where I am to 'select' my 'map'. As soon as I press ANY button, the scanner powers off and restarts.

I removed the rechargeable batteries, changed the switch to alkaline then inserted 4 alkaline batteries. Same result.

I tried to connect to my computer, I see the scanner show up as a drive, but when I try to do any updates to the scanner (firmware or scanlists) I get a communication error message.

To say I am a bit disappointed right now is to put it mildly.

I will wind up calling Whistler on Tuesday and see what they suggest. At this rate though, the scanner will most likely be going back for a refund. :(

Meanwhile everyone I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and that Santa brings everyone what they want.

Ed6698

With my 1080 and 1095, any time these scanners are powered up or down the power button needs to be pressed and held for a couple seconds. Alot of times sd cards get corrupted by not powering the radio up or down this way. Once I started doing this all the time, I don't ever get any of the most common errors I see posts about. I can sit there and press the power button continually and it will not power up or turn off. It need to be held for a couple seconds, the 1095 tells me when to release power button upon power up.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I got my TRX-1 today, I had done some reading before it arrived and I followed the instructions on the quick start handout.

As soon as I installed batteries, the scanner started right up. I got to the step where I am to 'select' my 'map'. As soon as I press ANY button, the scanner powers off and restarts.

I removed the rechargeable batteries, changed the switch to alkaline then inserted 4 alkaline batteries. Same result.

I tried to connect to my computer, I see the scanner show up as a drive, but when I try to do any updates to the scanner (firmware or scanlists) I get a communication error message.

To say I am a bit disappointed right now is to put it mildly.

I will wind up calling Whistler on Tuesday and see what they suggest. At this rate though, the scanner will most likely be going back for a refund. :(

Meanwhile everyone I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and that Santa brings everyone what they want.
What operating system? ..I'm guessing windows 10?. their are plenty of post about whistler scanners and win 10 not playing well...or just connect it to a windows 7 computer.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Wackyracer, actually it is a Win 7 Pro machine.

Ed6698, it seems like none of the buttons want to work.

Insert battery, press power button, scanner starts up, does the self check, gives me the opening screen, then switches over to the 'select band' screen. Once there regardless of what I do next, the scanner may or may not beep, then usually goes into a restart and repeats the above. Occasionally it will power off after the second or third restart.

I've read enough other threads to know the SD card could become corrupted so I wait until the screen goes completely bland (the 'power off' vanishes) before I remove a battery or unplug the USB cable.

Oh well I'll have something to do Christmas day, read more threads.

Thanks all for the responses.

Ed6698

If you can use a sd card reader, I would use EZScan that way initially, also possibly try a different SD card. Just to make sure it is not a sd card issue, or possibly a defective radio.

Once you know the scanner works or not, then you can work on the connection issue, and any firmware updates.
I almost always use a sd card reader for any changes I do in EZScan, I use a USB 3.0 card reader, makes for preparing sd cards very fast. However firmware updates cannot be done this way, scanner has to be connected by usb cable to pc.

TAbirdman

How does the buttons feel? They all should have a firm click to them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

radiophreak

Premium Subscriber
My TRX1 came with squishy buttons also. Sent it Whistler for repair. I should have sent it back to the dealer for replacement or refund. It cost $17.50 to send it to Whistler insured. It took 3 weeks. So I paid an additional $17.50 on top of almost $500 for the priviledge of buying a defective scanner. I do like the scanner now that its fully functional.

Status
Not open for further replies.