TRX-100 / TRX-200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:

I'm in the market for a new scanner. I'm just curious, is this new line of scanners still under developed? I noticed the thread about this scanner was closed in Nov. 2018.

Thanks.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Don't hold your breath, No new scanners from whistler for at LEAST the next couple months.

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
Think that was updated to 2nd quarter. If it is not a well designed and tested unit better to hold it until it is ready .

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hi:

I'm in the market for a new scanner. I'm just curious, is this new line of scanners still under developed? I noticed the thread about this scanner was closed in Nov. 2018.

Thanks.
I know this is a typo and you didn't mean to say what you said the way you said it but I think you hit the nail on the head LOL. I think the quote was Q2 for more information about the new scanners and Whistler was looking for suggestions for the scanner. We haven't seen as much as a sketch on a cocktail napkin.

I would think they could figure out whether or not they could stuff an LSM capable scanner that works into the case of a psr-800 with a keyboard pretty quickly and my guess is they can't and that's why it was never introduced. It's been quite a while since that initial announcement. As it's been said before... I wouldn't hold your breath. Uh oh, I hear incoming, better take cover, I'm out of here... LMAO... in all seriousness I'm very disappointed, I love the size and solid feeling of the rebranded GRE encasing and that display is great. If they were ever able to make a LSM capable scanner in that format that really worked properly that would be a sweet radio.

Ubbe

It would be neat if the TRX200 turned out to be a of a TRX-2 format but instead of a detachable head it had a mobile phone holder that could be attached to the scanner. It would communicate using bluetooth and the holder had a dial control at one end and a volume/squelch at the other that connects to the phones USB connector. The holder could be removed from the scanner and placed in a car in the air vents or with an additional suction cup to glass or to a stand on a bean/sand bag on top of the instrument panel and have a standard RAM fitting. The iPhone/Android app could be configured like a SDS100/200 to have different information fields and a zoom function that works a few seconds when initially stopping on a channel to show only the frequency/system/TG info in big letters. Whenever a phone call are received it would have a selection to automaticly mute the scanners speaker and/or be used as a handsfree speaker. An aditional bluetooth to LAN/WLAN adapter would be available to use the scanner at home and connect to it from mobile phones or computers away from home. It would come with no control head. If a user have no bluetooth capable phone with colour touch screen then a used second hand one would be much cheaper than having Whistler doing a much inferior hardware user interface.

/Ubbe

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
It would be neat if the TRX200 turned out to be a of a TRX-2 format but instead of a detachable head it had a mobile phone holder that could be attached to the scanner. It would communicate using bluetooth and the holder had a dial control at one end and a volume/squelch at the other that connects to the phones USB connector. The holder could be removed from the scanner and placed in a car in the air vents or with an additional suction cup to glass or to a stand on a bean/sand bag on top of the instrument panel and have a standard RAM fitting. The iPhone/Android app could be configured like a SDS100/200 to have different information fields and a zoom function that works a few seconds when initially stopping on a channel to show only the frequency/system/TG info in big letters. Whenever a phone call are received it would have a selection to automaticly mute the scanners speaker and/or be used as a handsfree speaker. An aditional bluetooth to LAN/WLAN adapter would be available to use the scanner at home and connect to it from mobile phones or computers away from home. It would come with no control head. If a user have no bluetooth capable phone with colour touch screen then a used second hand one would be much cheaper than having Whistler doing a much inferior hardware user interface.

/Ubbe
Yeah... And I'd like to have a date with the playmate of the month, I wonder which one will happen first? Hahaha.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Why can't they just rush out a new Whistler scanner full of issues and faulty batteries like Uniden! If Uniden can do it, surely Whistler can! :p

And if they showed you a picture of the TRX100/200 that look identical to the TRX1/2, a lot of people would be upset and instantly buy a Uniden...maybe they are holding off because all these weird people hoping for a 10" full color OELD with Android apps to be a possibility.

Paul

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Whistler is an entirely different company than Uniden. They bought GRE, a company that made my first police radio. It was a slide rule dial VHF High monitor developed in the mid-60s and rebranded as the Radio Shack realistic Pro1... I think I bought it in 1969. It was made in Japan of course as President Nixon had not even opened trade with China yet.

GRE then continued on to make many multiple scanners that they designed and modified mostly rebranded as Radio shack, the most famous being the pro 96 the first digital handheld scanner that competed with the Uniden BC - 250 both introduced in 2003, some of the radios that Whistler offers today as their top-of-the-line scanners are basically the same technology as the pro 96. In my opinion modulation blew the doors off Uniden.

Whistler appears to be a much smaller company and although they added a keyboard to the psr-800 and made internal changes through former GRE engineers they have never actually develop their own scanner. Their base unit is the long-awaited PSR 900 that was never released by GRE and was released as the ws1095 by Whistler.

So not to take away from Uniden's unexcusable debacle I don't think it would have mattered when Uniden brought out those SDS radios. I don't think a delay would have made a difference. They were responding to whistlers dishonest and deceptive marketing ploy making everyone including their loyal followers who were sitting on the edge of their chair with money in their fists thinking that a scanner was in development and coming out in late 2018. I'm not sure a delay in the release of whistler's offering will make any difference. I think you can figure out pretty fast if you can stuff a LSM capable radio into the case of a psr-800 with a keyboard, not sure how important waiting to get it right matters. Who knows?

Sorry I don't follow this corporate loyalty insanity worshipping marketing individuals. I'm just looking for more bang for my buck, my loyalty rests with the green papers in my pocket with pictures of Dead Presidents and founding fathers on them. I would love Whistler to come out with a great LSM capable radio THAT WORKED RIGHT in the same encasing they inherited from GRE, I would just remove that bulky spare tire casing off of it and have a nice compact solid radio with a nice bright clear Easy-to-Read display.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I don't have any loyalty to any brand of scanner, but Uniden did lose me after it sold me a 436HP and 536HP, that both had the fully spectrum of available recall issues...after I loaded them with DMR. It looks like the SDS owners are going through the same debacle. Whistler has me as a customer now because they don't seem to have these rampant issues, and I can use them remotely with my TRX Android app :)

Paul

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I don't have any loyalty to any brand of scanner.... Whistler has me as a customer now because they don't seem to have these rampant issues, and I can use them remotely with my TRX Android app :)
Paul

I love using the TRX Android Suite/App, it's my go to logging software now.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
There was a reason that they proposed making an LSM capable radio even though they have not produced it.

If they don't produce an LSM capable radio as the whole country converts over... they will naturally... Become extinct.

I have always liked the trx-1 design unfortunately it does not work on my hometown systems. Nothing, not a lick. When we still used a multi Tower SZ 500 megahertz system it worked great but that was in the past.

Didn't know I was going to receive such interesting responses. Shoulda guessed though since Whistler made this "big" announcement & suddenly all went silent with no updates.

I know the scanner market is small but sad to see manufacturers fall with such a loud thud because of empty/broken promises.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
At this point, Whistler can take LSM off the table and focus on what they already have. There is plenty that can be done to the current OS of the TRX-1/2 scanners. Add multiple search limits, auto-off feature, custom audio alert files, custom audio boot files. Enable/Disable recording for the active channel using (Fn +7). In addition, we could use a new lower profile case that is much easier to put on or remove.
Would love to see Don Starr release software for the TRX scanners.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
In case you did not know Don has not been heard from I can count like 5 cases of customers buying his software and not getting keys nor answering emails or his listed address for postal mail for like a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.