TRX-100 / TRX-200

Status
Not open for further replies.

mule1075

Feed Provider
If they added AM and HF support for voice modes and some digital modes like psk31, those receivers would be legendary.
Then it would be a communications receiver which there are many choices already available. Remember scanners and Wideband receivers two completely different things.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I agree, it was a long long long time ago that they realized they could not stuff an LSM capable radio into a psr-800 with a keyboard... Either you can do it or you can't. It doesn't take that much time to figure it out. Giving them another 12 months or 24 hours, isn't going to make any difference.

Sorry to say this, I'm not a Uniden fan other than admiring the pictures of the sds200, which I would never buy as facts speak for themselves. So far my sds100 works and it's more than Whistler could ever make, especially because they've never made... Anyting.

I would love to have a TRX 1 that picked up P 2 simulcast perfectly along with nxnd... Perfectly.

It was a good marketing ploy to make that announcement a long time ago but now it's starting to look very dishonest and deceptive.

As it has been said a hundred times before. I would love to see the ancient PSR 800 + 900 with a keyboard work perfectly on LSM simulcast systems. That would be my dream scanner. I would also like a date with the playmate of the month... my chances look better as each month passes.

Last edited:

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Are you saying the announcement was simply their desire to have an LSM scanner, and that they have not even begun to assemble or build devices, and are still figuring out what type of scanner design they want to make?

Paul

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Honestly I'm only giving you an opinion as I would have no idea to answer your question. Every radio they've ever produced was a rebranded redressed GRE radio. Can you think of any other radio they made? They did make internal changes and they added keyboards that should have been added to the original radios by GRE. I know they had some Consulting help by someone we all know.

Not looking to get into anything deep here, what's the point, when I bought a TRX 1 when it first came out and found out it didn't work a lick on my P2 simulcast system in my hometown that was pretty much it for me, I'm a little bit older so I really can't remember exactly when that was but it was a while ago.

Again don't get me wrong, I would love the design of the TRX 1 that worked on my simulcast system, what a sweet radio that would be but it's been a long time since I even thought of that.

They can keep selling their obsolete radios, some of the designs I bought in 2003 from RadioShack, the pro-96 was a superior radio over that bc250, hands down.

I wish Whistler the best of luck and I understand, from a business point, where they are. You'll never see another opportunity this good after the SDS debacle.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The Whisters are an ancient design, with a horrible user interface, and terrible talkgroup order management. BUT...they are the only brand I can remote link into using an Android app in the field, and the audio is so much better than uniden, clean, crisp, clear, none of that horrible bass heavy mud that passes for audio with a Uniden. If you operate a physical scanner in front of you, have to manually get to channels quickly, and are adept enough to put a small driver high toned external speaker on, then the Uniden looks like a better all around product.

Paul

jeffdafoe

Does Don Starr actually write the software that runs on the radios or does he just write the Windows programming software? And even if he wrote the software that runs on the older radios, I'd imagine that writing a SDR IQ-based decoder is a whole other monster. It shifts most of the workload from hardware to software. If I was to just pull a guess out of my rear, I'd guess that the radio software dev for the new radio was outsourced. For a company not experienced with such, they might be discovering how well that works out. Also probably why no one has heard from Starr, maybe he's not even involved anymore. If I was to dig deep and pull out a second guess, maybe Whister has run up against some sort of Uniden patent on SDR used in a physical scanner.

woodpecker

Its not a patent issue there were hardware radios available using SDR way before Uniden produced one.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Don was in on the GRE pro96 through the Whistler TRX Software and Firmware and he works in the software field in another industry also from what we have learned here over the years. GRE/WHISTLER owns their share of patents in the scanner world also.

Swipesy

You folks have forgotten history. Don Starr was a consultant member of the GRE team that worked on interfacing the GRE Pro96-GRE PSR800. He was not involved directly in the development of the radio firmware, cpu. An individual by the name of Craig who went by the RR handle of cpu_nut was the lead programmer of the firmware/cpu. He had a team of assistants that worked on everything from radio firmware to interfacing (Don Starr and Don did not write EZScan). For those of you with good memories you will recall that when GRE announced they were withdrawing from the scanner business it was Craig who went to bat for us hobbyist and got GRE/Whistler to agree to pay Don Starr to continue to provide weekly updates of the RR database to EZScan so that we could continue to program our scanners. Subsequently Whistler hired Don to update the Whistler versions as well. You will also recall that Craig was upset with the entire process of GRE's demise and false news posted on these forums by uniformed people. At the time Whistler purchased the GRE Intellectual property, Whistler hired Craig's services to work on the transisition and updates. I have not seen cpu_nut post on RR in years and do not know if he is still working with Whistler.

So these are the facts. Don may or may not have anything to do with Whistler and future radios. For those of you doubting these facts I refer you to the July 27, 2013 final posting of cpu_nut on this topic. There were also several earlier posts by cpu_nut on the "process".

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I hear from Craig, occasionally. We talk about family, health, etc, not about "work" (whatever that is for him, now). We met and worked closely together on the PRO-96 project.

Swipesy

And you forget that Don was involved by the KILL FIRMWARE for the 18 and 668 for Whistler and he posted he could no longer post on certian things.

I didn't forget that but it is irrelevant to the question raised about Don developing firmware. I am sure Don is very capable to work on the firmware but I have no fact to post about that and don't have an opinion one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.