TRX-1E and TRX-2E EZ Scan and FW update available

MStep

:( I doubt a wiring diagram of the scanner is available. A schematic/block diagram MIGHT be available? I don't know where though, sorry. :(

Sadly, the days of radio manufacturers providing schematics for their equipment are long passed. With the inclusion of integrated circuits, not only would it take volumes of information to provide those diagrams, but most companies seem to now consider schematic diagrams of their radio's innards to be secret "proprietary" information which is not to be shared with either the public, and more so, with their competitors. There was an intermediate period where some manufacturers would sell you the "service manuals" that provided a lot of the technical information--- these might be available for some of the ham radio equipment currently being sold.

I still have the instruction manual that came with my old Hammarlund HQ100A, and there is a very nice fold-out schematic for those looking to do their own troubleshooting. These days, for the most part, only those with the skills of a surgeon would dare dive into the current breed of receivers and scanners.

Whistler_Support

Whistler Representative
Premium Subscriber
The TRX-1 and TRX-2 presently on the market can be updated to our "E" version that accommodates 16 country specific bandplans at present (more countries to be added) and include decode of DMR and NXDN for no additional up-charge.

If and when a new Codec is offered in the future, we will share this information with the community.

CycleSycho

Sadly, the days of radio manufacturers providing schematics for their equipment are long passed. With the inclusion of integrated circuits, not only would it take volumes of information to provide those diagrams, but most companies seem to now consider schematic diagrams of their radio's innards to be secret "proprietary" information which is not to be shared with either the public, and more so, with their competitors. There was an intermediate period where some manufacturers would sell you the "service manuals" that provided a lot of the technical information--- these might be available for some of the ham radio equipment currently being sold.

I still have the instruction manual that came with my old Hammarlund HQ100A, and there is a very nice fold-out schematic for those looking to do their own troubleshooting. These days, for the most part, only those with the skills of a surgeon would dare dive into the current breed of receivers and scanners.

:) I agree 100% with everything you said. Just an FYI, I was replying to member MarkRegul, one reply above mine. I too have quite a collection of schematics/service manuals, but nowadays most of them are filed away in 'this or that' cubbyhole (possibly never again to meet the light of day :( ). :)

ludek-brno

Wouldn't the question of all the world's bandplanes be solved by introducing Custom Search like Uniden's?

Ubbe

Wouldn't the question of all the world's bandplanes be solved by introducing Custom Search like Uniden's?
It's often a patent issue involved. The best solution for any scanner would be a bandplan where you can set the start and stop frequency and then set the modulation and stepsize for that range, and then allow up to 30 of those ranges to be set. Any non defined range would use default NFM and 6,25KHz. Neither Uniden or Whistler have that type of flexible bandplan and I haven't seen anyone else using it, so perhaps there's no existing patent for it.

Whistler has the patent to let an alert light be active during a call but Uniden got around that by having a time controlled light that times out after 5 seconds, and that small change where considered to be different enough to not violate the patent rights.

/Ubbe

Larry-G

Do you have plans to do tetra decoding in scanners?
Why isn't it on the market TRX-1 ?
Unlikely as the primary market for this scanner ie the US don’t really do Tetra. You can use a SDR dongle / laptop combo to receive tetra in the uk but you won’t receive much at all in the clear.

Whistler_Support

Whistler Representative
Premium Subscriber
Oct 4, 2022, Whistler released Turkey and Switzerland bandplans for the TRX-1E and TRX-2E bringing the international bandplan count to 18 countries.

Additionally, there were a few changes to the Sweden and Ireland bandplan.
An update of EZ Scan is needed to be compatible with the latest CPU version 7.4
Once EZ Scan has been updated, please proceed to use EZ Scan to update the scanners CPU

CPU 7.4 contains modification to Flexstep allowing half step (for select steps sizes) within Search and Scan Function
(6.25>3.125), (10>5), (12.5>6.25), (20>10), (25>12.5), (50>25)

After updating your scanner, please be sure to apply the Factory Default Values to the radio upon first power up to reset the Memory locations.

Changes are as follows…….Version 3.43 - for use with Scanner CPU version 7.4

EZ-Scan Updates
Added bandplans for Switzerland and Turkey
Updated bandplans for Ireland and Sweden
Updated search ranges for Ireland
Fixed alternate Spectrum Sweeper type listings
Fixed an issue with importing some DMR/NXDN system flavors.
Other minor bug fixes.

MakeLibrary Updates
Added bandplans for Switzerland and Turkey
Updated bandplans for Ireland and Sweden

To include additional countries, please see our posts “New Country Bandplans wanted for Whistler TRX-1E and TRX-2E” in the International section of this forum

SirSkinny

Something not working right,
Version 3.43 still shows the CPU 7.3 as current and upto date downloads on website are the same
have gone back to Ver 3.42 as per the warning about using 3.43 with CPU 7.3.

SirSkinny

Thanks.
Here is 2 shots from when EZ-Scan trys to update manual or auto,
its also a similar situation with the WS-1098 version of EZ-Scan.

Attachments

• Trx-2-err.jpg
    Trx-2-err.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Trx-2-err2.jpg
    Trx-2-err2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 21
  • WS-1098.jpg
    WS-1098.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 19

Ubbe

The standalone CPU updater utility for TRX-1E and 2E have the new 7.4 firmware but EZScan's update function do not.

Updating EZ-Scan from EZ-Scan makes it the new version. The install file at whistlergroup says it is the old version so do not know if that are actually the new version of EZ-Scan.

/Ubbe

Last edited: