TRX-2 advice needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikecook317

Premium Subscriber
I've had my TRX-2 for about 6 months and I love it. Until about a week ago I was able to scan all my local public safety agencies and everything came in nice and clear. The other day I noticed i was hearing a lot less traffic than usual. As I listened closer I realized I could still hear the city police, but only in little snippets. I got used to the sound of the radio traffic here in my town and I can tell there are large parts of calls that I can't hear anymore. The parts that I can hear are clear with no static or anything. I thought maybe they were going to encryption but if it's encrypted, why can I hear the middle of the transmission? In the last couple of days traffic on the other agencies (Fire, EMTs) really feels like it's down too. Can one of you more experienced members tell me what is going on? I'm scanning in Jessamine County, KY.

rayvelcoro

How close are you to the source of the signals? Your county public safety appears to use analog communications, not digital simulcast, which would be problematic. With the limited info you gave, it is only reasonable to advise adjusting the squelch setting (to allow weaker signals), or to try a better antenna. If you're close to the analog signals, it would be difficult to imagine what is going on without details of your situation.

mikecook317

Premium Subscriber
How close are you to the source of the signals? Your county public safety appears to use analog communications, not digital simulcast, which would be problematic. With the limited info you gave, it is only reasonable to advise adjusting the squelch setting (to allow weaker signals), or to try a better antenna. If you're close to the analog signals, it would be difficult to imagine what is going on without details of your situation.
You're right, I got all excited and left out something. The agency in question uses NXDN. I was scanning it successfully for about 6 months. I can still hear it but the communications are cut off at the beginning and the end. I'm about 2 miles away from the public safety dispatchers but I'm not really sure where the signal actually broadcasts from. I'm really not too good at this if you can't tell. I really love listening in but I don't know enough about it.

rayvelcoro

Ok, I looked at the map and I see that your surrounding counties do in fact use NXDN. You're going to need a better antenna or an outside antenna. First, if you haven't already, move the radio to a different location indoors to find a spot with better reception. Occasionally this will work.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Why would he need an outdoor antenna to listen to the County he lives in? Jessamine County agencies all use NXDN with mixed mode and EMS has moved to P25. I live about 15 miles north of Jessamine and receive SO and PD fine.

I agree that he should move it around the house and find a better location to receive or play with squelch settings but buying an outdoor antenna to listen to his home County when he lives right down the street from 911 doesn't make much since to me.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
If you park on the frequency do you get the same results?

Hit FN then 0 enter the frequency i.e 123.1234 and press SEL

what do the signal bars show?

mikecook317

Premium Subscriber
Guys, I appreciate your help. I'm trying some new locations this evening. That's good advice. Jeez, I really should have thought of that.I had squelch turned up pretty high and since then I've tried some mid range settings and also down to minimum. I can't tell a difference so far. What do you guys think the attenuator should be set on?

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Guys, I appreciate your help. I'm trying some new locations this evening. That's good advice. Jeez, I really should have thought of that.I had squelch turned up pretty high and since then I've tried some mid range settings and also down to minimum. I can't tell a difference so far. What do you guys think the attenuator should be set on?
The attenuator SHOULD BE OFF. That's only for pointing antennas a towers, I only use it when I have a yagi on my scanner.

mikecook317

Premium Subscriber
If you park on the frequency do you get the same results?

Hit FN then 0 enter the frequency i.e 123.1234 and press SEL

what do the signal bars show?
Hi! thank you so much for the interest, I just got in from work, I'll try parking on a channel in just a bit. I entered 123.1234 like you suggested and its just constant static. The bars are solid through the fourth bar and the fifth bar fades in and out also constantly.

mikecook317

Premium Subscriber
Hi! thank you so much for the interest, I just got in from work, I'll try parking on a channel in just a bit. I entered 123.1234 like you suggested and its just constant static. The bars are solid through the fourth bar and the fifth bar fades in and out also constantly.
Hey! I did what you said and parked on one frequency. I paused it on the local police because they have a lot of traffic. It sounds like its supposed to as far as hearing the whole conversation (transmission? I don't know the right word.)

rayvelcoro

Why would he need an outdoor antenna to listen to the County he lives in? Jessamine County agencies all use NXDN with mixed mode and EMS has moved to P25. I live about 15 miles north of Jessamine and receive SO and PD fine.

I agree that he should move it around the house and find a better location to receive or play with squelch settings but buying an outdoor antenna to listen to his home County when he lives right down the street from 911 doesn't make much since to me.
I got the impression he was listening to an adjacent

I got the impression that he may be farther away from the source than he thinks if it's an adjacent county.

I got the impression he might be trying to pull in an adjacent county with a transmitter source farther away than he realizes.

mikecook317

Premium Subscriber
I got the impression he was listening to an adjacent

I got the impression that he may be farther away from the source than he thinks if it's an adjacent county.

I got the impression he might be trying to pull in an adjacent county with a transmitter source farther away than he realizes.
I had a hard time describing the problem clearly, sorry about that! I appreciate your time on it

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
Hey! I did what you said and parked on one frequency. I paused it on the local police because they have a lot of traffic. It sounds like its supposed to as far as hearing the whole conversation (transmission? I don't know the right word.)
Do you have Priority on during scan does the LCD show PRI or did you happen to turn on WX (weather) priority scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.