TRX-2: TRX-2 Error Detected 4-00

Status
Not open for further replies.

markn455

Premium Subscriber
Almost every time I plug i the USB I get Error Detected, Please contact Whistler Service for assistance. Service instructed me on how to clear the error which is fine. However, why does the error keep occurring over and over again. This seems a little buggy for a well established scanner that has been out there for years. My TRX-2 was manufactured in July. I purchased it about a month ago.

-Mark

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@markn455 This isn't a scanner issue usually, it is a SD card issue. I would suggest two options.

1. Reformat SD card through EZ Scan and select the option to load configuration and library. If that doesn't help...

2. Replace SD card, and use option 1 to prepare it. Unless you do a lot of recording (like 24/7 on a busy system) an 8mb card should be fine.

Ubbe

This seems a little buggy for a well established scanner that has been out there for years.
The USB function are very buggy. I gave up on these error codes that requires you to remove the head and disconnect power and so on. I now remove the SD card and use it with a SD card reader whenever I want to listen to recordings and change the programming.

/Ubbe

DJ11DLN

Anyone with one of these scanners would be wise to keep a spare card, programmed and ready to go, at hand. Over time the instances of the cards becoming corrupted seem to have gotten a lot less with the ongoing FW updates, at least on my units, but it does still happen once in awhile and sometimes the card is DOA from too many read/write cycles and formatting it can't fix the problem.

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Mark, with the scanner off, remove the front panel. Then remove and replace the SD Card 4, 5, or 6 times. Re-Install the front panel and power on. It should work then. My TRX-2 did the same thing for about the first 2 months that I had it. I, as well as others on here, believe that the contacts in the scanner do not make good contact with the SD Card until it has been removed and re-inserted several times. Mine hardly ever gives me trouble anymore. Hope this helps.

Ubbe

...believe that the contacts in the scanner do not make good contact with the SD Card until it has been removed and re-inserted several times...
That could be the problems and the scanner will then have all sorts of problems when accessing the card during scanning. The SD card that Whistler supplied with my scanner was DOA and cannot be revived in any way, the controller seems dead. So they might have had, or still have, quality problems with the SD brand they use. It didn't help trying to understand a new complicated scanner when the SD card are faulty from the start and you blame yourself for doing something wrong.

/Ubbe

CycleSycho

:) Just an FYI... My card readable CC's have a problem with it becoming slightly oxidized so every once in a while I have to 'erase' that oxidation. Rarely do I have a problem with the equipment, only the much 'cheaper' contacts used in various readable media. Just an FYI again, a regular unused pencil eraser is an excellent safe item to use, just make sure it is clean of anything that would cause problems with crossing over into other contacts on it. :)

markn455

Premium Subscriber

:) Just an FYI... My card readable CC's have a problem with it becoming slightly oxidized so every once in a while I have to 'erase' that oxidation. Rarely do I have a problem with the equipment, only the much 'cheaper' contacts used in various readable media. Just an FYI again, a regular unused pencil eraser is an excellent safe item to use, just make sure it is clean of anything that would cause problems with crossing over into other contacts on it. :)

I will take a look at this. Seems off however for a new scanner that was manufactured this past July.
Thanks!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Reformatting or replacing the SD card solves this problem when I get the error. SD cards are a weak link in many later model scanners.

markn455

Premium Subscriber
This scanner is now 9 months old and I rarely use it. These errors continue and have not gotten any better. I believe in the end it is the way Whistler is handling the USB. It seems it has to do with not being able to eject the USB properly. I can click on eject over and over and it will never properly eject. Whistler grabs the port and never releases it. When you just unplug, it does a little damage to the SD card. Then, the next time you plug in, the scanner tries to initialize a firmware update and then fails. Almost every time you have to do this pulling the panel, unplug the AD hold the power for thirty seconds and all that crap. While this work around "works", we should not have to go through all this crap.

If you are running a Mac and Big Sur with VMware Fusion on a Windows 10 VM, Forget it, you are screwed. Apple changed the way they handle USB breaking the API VMware was using. This was actually an improvement for standard USB stuff. Once again because of the way Whistler is handing the USB port, this is horribly broken.

I apologize for my venting but this is nuts for such an expensive scanner.

TAbirdman

I contacted Whistler and this is the reply I got:

To clear the error, follow these steps:

On the radio:
1) Unplug ALL cables going to it.
2) Remove the display head and pop out and reinstall the SD card and replace head.
3) With no cables connected to the unit, press and hold the power button for 60 seconds. - use a stop watch. :)
4) After 60 seconds let go and plug in the power cable.
5) Press and hold the power button until the unit tells you to let go. This will get the radio going.

This error is generally cause by low voltage of the internal battery. Once cleared, you can leave the unit on for several days, Go into the menu and turn on the clock display, or leave the USB cable plugged in to the scanner and the PC for a few days.

markn455

Premium Subscriber
I contacted Whistler and this is the reply I got:

To clear the error, follow these steps:

On the radio:
1) Unplug ALL cables going to it.
2) Remove the display head and pop out and reinstall the SD card and replace head.
3) With no cables connected to the unit, press and hold the power button for 60 seconds. - use a stop watch. :)
4) After 60 seconds let go and plug in the power cable.
5) Press and hold the power button until the unit tells you to let go. This will get the radio going.

This error is generally cause by low voltage of the internal battery. Once cleared, you can leave the unit on for several days, Go into the menu and turn on the clock display, or leave the USB cable plugged in to the scanner and the PC for a few days.

Thanks TAbirdman,

I called Whistler as well and received the exact same instructions. This work around works, but you have to do it every time you plug in the USB. This is ridiculous. We shouldn't have to jump through the hoops just to make it work. This does not fix or solve the USB not releasing issue. You still can't eject without forcing an eject or simply unplugging the cable. Personally, I believe this USB issue is the actual cause of the error and has nothing to do with the low voltage. if the internal batter. Especially when the scanner is plugged in and on for extended period..I am going to call them again today and see if they can provide some other guidance. When things are working, this is about as good as it gets for a scanner.

If I can't work around this issue, I may look into the SDS200. I can't spend all this time just to update the thing.

TAbirdman

This is important - you have to let the internal battery charge. Leave the unit on or turn on the clock display and then you can turn off the scanner. I was told that if that battery doesn't get fully charged the problem will come back.

KG4DCX

Premium Subscriber
I unplug from outlet before I plug in usb
Then unplug usb plug back in outlet
Works for mine ....🤔

markn455

Premium Subscriber
I talked to support who ran me through some tests. Support agrees that the scanner is not releasing the USB port. You cannot eject the port properly. We tried on a Windows 10 and Windows 7 computers. When you unplug without being able to properly eject the USB port, it's corrupts something in the radio. Every time this happens, the cycle continues. Whistler told me to send it in and they would fix the radio.

TABirdman mentioned the charging of the internal battery. I would like to understand this better. The scanner is plugged in and on most of the time. I am sure my battery is getting charged with the number of hours this is on. Thanks!

Ubbe

Whistler told me to send it in and they would fix the radio.
Would be interesting to know what they do to it, if they can fix it. I beleive it's a problem in all TRX scanners as I have tried different computers and different windows version and also different SD cards and at about half of the times the USB cannot be released, or actually it is the SD card that cannot be released.

Even if I never turn off my scanner and then after a week I finally take out the SD card and use directly in my computer it sometimes shows a trashed filesystem, that some recorded files have been corrupt and that's when no USB cable have been connected to the scanner.

/Ubbe

TAbirdman

TABirdman mentioned the charging of the internal battery. I would like to understand this better. The scanner is plugged in and on most of the time. I am sure my battery is getting charged with the number of hours this is on. Thanks!
What I was told by Whistler rep was the unit needed to be on or the clock display turned on for the battery to charge. If the unit is off and plugged in, the battery will not get charged. That is why the clock display needs to be set to be on so the battery will charge when the unit is off.

Ubbe

Whenever the scanner are powered on the battery are not in use but are charged, if it has been discharged, to be able to keep the clock running if the power is disconnected from the scanner. The clock itself are powered from the 12v if that is connected and do not use the battery even when the scanner are in the off state.

No 12v to scanner = Clock runs on internal battery.
12v to scanner but scanner are off = Clock run on 12v and do not use battery power.
12v to scanner and scanner are on = Clock run on 12v and battery are charged.

/Ubbe

markn455

Premium Subscriber
I have some time before my warranty runs out so I may wait a while. Interestingly, I discovered that if I turn the scanner off and remove the 12v supply and then plug in the USB cable it seems to work just fine. I still have some problems getting it to eject properly. I found that "sometimes" if you wait, and wait, and wait, it will finally eject. This is not how it should be. In any case, this still leads to issues and a high potential of corrupting something in the scanner.

It sounds like a high number of you also have problems getting the USB to eject gracefully. If this is the case, Whistler has a boat load of defective or poorly designed hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.