TRX-2 Inside look and discriminator

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Along with the TRX-1 here is the inside gander of the TRX-2. Do not try this at home children, I am not responsible if you fry your radio or void your warranty. I do not know how forgiving Wendy is...

Here is the bottom side of the board. Notice the copious shielding, especially on the RF section below the antenna connector.
TRX2a.jpg

Here is the top side of the main board with still more shielding. Notice in the upper right corner a battery. More on that later.

trx2b.jpg

Here is a close-up on the battery, presumably for memory retention. When plugged into a USB cable the radio will report that it is charging an internal battery so I presume this is a rechargeable button cell and not meant to be replaced.
TRX2c.jpg

Here, just to the right of the large shield enclosure is out intrepid TP-4 discriminator point. It too works well for PL and DPL decoding and presumably for other digital modes.
TRX2d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the inside view Rich. The shielding must be doing something. Never had a scanner more sensitive than this TRX-2 that does not seem to desense here in Los Angeles radio jungle. Beats the 536HP on weak signal P25 and with good decode. Kind of surprised but glad.
Regards

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Any way I could convince you to remove the L shaped shield on the top right of the fist picture? I am interested in the upgraded memory they say it has. I bet it's under that shield along with the processor.

Uniden does not shield the bottom side.

What are the numbers on the chip in the bottom center? It looks like the audio converter but, if so, I think it might be a newer version (looks like it has more pins).

N9JIG

Sheriff
I am not going to try to break open the epoxy or soldered seals, sorry.

I have already reassembled the radio but if I open it up again I will try to see the numbers.

DonS

What are the numbers on the chip in the bottom center? It looks like the audio converter but, if so, I think it might be a newer version (looks like it has more pins).

If you're referring to the 36-pin IC below and to the left of the 1F capacitor in the second picture... that's IC15. STMicroelectronics TDA7491LP audio amp. Unchanged since GRE's original (2011) PSR-900 alpha hardware.

Attachments

• trx2b_AA.jpg
    trx2b_AA.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 926

eddie8965

so if I tapped tp4 and a ground,and used...say...a 3.5mm audio jack on top by the speaker I would have a useable discriminator ? I have a 1095 that's without a working tap,and never got sent in for the upgrade

SCPD

QRT
Doesnt this radio have an IF output like the TRX1 does?
You change turn the audio jack to IF in the Menu......
Cant you use that for what you want to do?

Ed6698

Doesnt this radio have an IF output like the TRX1 does?
You change turn the audio jack to IF in the Menu......
Cant you use that for what you want to do?

The initial release of the 1095 did not have this feature, but if someone wanted to they can send it to Whistler to have this feature included. I have a 1095 like this, since I never use it I never sent it in to get this added.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Ed6698 is correct, the initial 1095's did not have the discriminator ported to the earphone jack; so Eddie8965, yes this would work.

toddatkins

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for opening it up and posting pics. I was going it do it. I'm a Ham so I've gotta see the inside. Will probably still open it at some point. Love all those surface mount components. Bet the TRX-1 is very interesting inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.