TRX-2 Mobile ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2znp

So I just got a TRX-2 the detachable head is smaller than I thought which is excellent, although the end of the RJ45 connector is fat, I looked on Amazon for a 90-degree connector and they look just as fat. Anyone using something smaller? Also, where did you mount the head in your car? I see a lot of people just slap it on the dash. I was thinking of something more integrated.

pgates

Marc, I've attached two photos of my installation.
--Phil, N5ZKF

Attachments

• IMG_6905_small.jpg
    IMG_6905_small.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6942_small.jpg
    IMG_6942_small.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: RRR

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
I went even more simple. I bought 2 disk magnets and used a small dot of an adhesive to attach them to my dash. Because the screen is polarized I had to mount it vertically so I could see with sunglasses on. This way the RJ45 comes directly out the bottom. If you do this make sure you have the magnets aligned properly. I have it between the console and the ignition.

Ubbe

Wasn't it metal discs without magnetism? You have strong magnets on the head itself and if you use other magnets to attach to it, it could be that the magnets have the some polarisation where they meet and will repell each other. That could never happen with a non-magnetic disc.

/Ubbe

n2znp

I like the magnet idea, does mounting the radio under the seat block the movement of the power seat at all?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I love the TRX-2, but the lack of GPS is a dealbreaker for mobile installation for me, so I have an SDS200 for trunking and other digital systems, and kept my 996P2 in the vehicle for VHF P25 and analog. I will probably sell my TRX-2 before long.

Is there anything special about the cord that connects the head to the scanner? I can't locate the one that came with it.

DJ11DLN

I love the TRX-2, but the lack of GPS is a dealbreaker for mobile installation for me, so I have an SDS200 for trunking and other digital systems, and kept my 996P2 in the vehicle for VHF P25 and analog. I will probably sell my TRX-2 before long.

Is there anything special about the cord that connects the head to the scanner? I can't locate the one that came with it.
It's just a LAN cable.

Reactions: RRR

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
Wasn't it metal discs without magnetism? You have strong magnets on the head itself and if you use other magnets to attach to it, it could be that the magnets have the some polarisation where they meet and will repell each other. That could never happen with a non-magnetic disc.

/Ubbe
Regular round strong magnets that attract to the head's magnets. I wanted to make sure it would stay no matter the road conditions. No effect when putting the head back on the radio it's self.

Status
Not open for further replies.