TRX-2 new user observations and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had any luck with using a USB extender for the very short provided USB cable? I spent over an hour trying to update the firmware. After getting rid of the extender cable it worked. With the extender I saw the drive mounted could read and copy files in windows but Ezscan would not copy files or do the updates.

What is with the constant unplugging all the cables counting to 30 while holding the power and removing replacing the head and sd card. I had to do this at least 7 times to clear the waiting on remote and firmware update in progress error 4 00 (No update was happening at the time) This became extremely unpleasant each time I had to remove it from the mount. You think I would have learned my lesson the 3rd time. I see why people complain, get frustrated and give up. Especially the non technical people.

I do have the power plugged in and only plug in the USB when I am writing to the SD card. This seems to help not get the above errors.

I do have it up and running and scanning a limited set of DMR, NDXN and P25 to start and it is doing well. I have read the comments about missing transmissions on trunked systems and I do notice that with a conventional NXDN system or other conventional set to priority, when the TRX-2 checks every X seconds it is a noticeable clean drop out if that trunk system is receiving. Seems different and more noticeable then my other scanners.

I am sure I will have more questions and observations in the days to come as I use it more.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
Is there anywhere in ezscan to set your default archive location so you dont have to keep choosing each time?

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
Tried a USB hub which let me set the clock and copy files. When I turned on the scanner it went into SD initializing firmware update error 4 00. Had to do the unplug and hold power for 30. I then plugged the usb in directly to pc and recopied. It then booted normally.

Next step to try a different SD card. Really wish this USB cable was longer.

I have spent more time debugging these crazy issues then actually using the scanner.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Tried a USB hub which let me set the clock and copy files. When I turned on the scanner it went into SD initializing firmware update error 4 00. Had to do the unplug and hold power for 30. I then plugged the usb in directly to pc and recopied. It then booted normally.

Next step to try a different SD card. Really wish this USB cable was longer.

I have spent more time debugging these crazy issues then actually using the scanner.
If you are referring to the cable that came with the scanner, longer ones can be found on Monoprice or Amazon, among others.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
I have longer USB cables I will try one and see if that works although they do not have the ferrite choke which is what is on the cable that is shipped I believe.

CycleSycho

I have longer USB cables I will try one and see if that works although they do not have the ferrite choke which is what is on the cable that is shipped I believe.

:wink: I see two POSSIBLE issues with one of the situations your having. First, I believe you should not be using a 'hub', but connect directly to the computers USB port? Second, I have a rather long USB 'extender' (30 foot) cable from quite a while ago, when I purchased it USB 2.0 was the standard for quite a while. Upon opening it and using it, I find it was a boosted (internal amplified) USB 1.0 cable. So, check that your using at least a USB 2.0 cable and make sure your plugging it directly into your computer and not a hub. If your still having troubles, I would suggest trying someone elses computer (conflicting driver or hardware). Hope you solve it, good luck! :wink:

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
I am familiar with usb the types and differences. The hub and extender were both USB 2.0. The extender was only 3ft.

With the extender I was unable to set clock, update firmware or use ezscan to copy files windows mounted the scanner as a drive and I had no issues reading writing files to the SD card. Anything done to the scanner in this setup caused the boot failures

With the HUB I was able to set the clock and copy files in ezscan (firmware was already updated) but rebooting the scanner after a copy caused the SD initializing and boot failure. Did the unplug and hold for 30 tried again same result

With the usb directly connected I have not yet had a boot failure. I will experiment more with a longer actual USB cable.

Of course I am only using the USB cable when programming at this point I see different opinions on leaving the usb and power both plugged in. I have not yet played with the lcd lite so I just dont want it lit saying charging backup when the scanner is off at this point.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
With a longer usb cable everything seems to be working better. Did a few copy to SD and no boot issues. Now that I am actually doing some scanning I am not having drop outs on transmissions on conventional NXDN or DMR conventional or trunked on a strong signal. On a weaker signal it does miss transmissions or doesn't pick them up. Of course adjusting the antenna can fix one system and break another.

Ubbe

Is there anywhere in ezscan to set your default archive location so you dont have to keep choosing each time?

No. EZScan uses a lot of standard Windows calls and will use the deafault save and open folder in Windows, normally the "Document" folder. You can change that default to include several folders to choose from or make it default to something else by right click on the Document folder and select properties.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.