TRX-2 or BCD536HP mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
I look forward to the responses you get as a I was just pondering this very question today. In my limited research so far I see the following as possible advantages of the 536 over the TRX-2 for me:

1-Using a smart phone as a remote display using wifi dongle - I don't really have room for another radio display on my instrument panel

2-Having a BCD436 makes the operation of the 536 mostly a no-brainer for me - I have a PSR-800 and find it not too user friendly in a mobile environment switching between scan lists so I imagine the Whistler being similar

3-I travel a lot and already have the GPS puck for the 436 so I can reuse that with the 536

I do like the removable faceplate of the TRX-2 but I just don't have any place for it.

Rick - KR3LC

SCPD

QRT
if you want to see the display

If you want to be able to see the display,go with the WHISTLER TRX-2,the faceplate has magnets,it can go anywhere really.Better receive sensitivity.
I find the 536HP lacking sensitivity in the 440 mhz ham band as well.
Very hard on the eyes,even after setting up the capital letters for all the lines,I still had a rough time with the 536HP,mine never went mobile but it didnt receive very well in my base with a giant antenna on my roof so I doubt the 536hP works any good in the mobile.

to me if youre going Uniden a 996P2 display is alot clearer and decode is the same as the 536hp for mobile and no SD card to corrupt.

Attachments

• 536.jpg
    536.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 457
  • 996P2.jpg
    996P2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:

gonefishn1

I have not used a TRX-2 but I really like my BCD536HP when I'm on the road. The GPS function works very well and makes traveling a lot of fun. It does everything automatically so I really don't need to look at the display while I'm driving.

SCPD

QRT
yes but

I have not used a TRX-2 but I really like my BCD536HP when I'm on the road. The GPS function works very well and makes traveling a lot of fun. It does everything automatically so I really don't need to look at the display while I'm driving.

Yes but hows your 536HP work on Airband and 440mhz ham band?
Mine was deaf,lots of fuzz and hard to understand even in a house,I cant even imagine in a car.
My BCD-996P2 has no issues.

allend

Premium Subscriber
If you want to be able to see the display,go with the WHISTLER TRX-2,the faceplate has magnets,it can go anywhere really.Better receive sensitivity.
I find the 536HP lacking sensitivity in the 440 mhz ham band as well.
Very hard on the eyes,even after setting up the capital letters for all the lines,I still had a rough time with the 536HP,mine never went mobile but it didnt receive very well in my base with a giant antenna on my roof so I doubt the 536hP works any good in the mobile.

to me if youre going Uniden a 996P2 display is alot clearer and decode is the same as the 536hp for mobile and no SD card to corrupt.

Yes after the age of 40 your eyes go downhill real fast and I can't see things up close. Yes the 536HP shows more on the screen which is nice, but harder than on the eyes than the 996P2

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I went with the TRX-2 in my latest install because of its awesome P25 Phase II simulcast decoding at the fact that it has a legit remote head.

While it is a nice unit, I regret it for mobile use.

The fact that it won't turn on when power is applied, and the routine to turn it on manually is convoluted (hold the power button down, until it tells you to let go), and then after that it won't start scanning until after the welcome screen, initialization, and verifying SD card data. It is completely ridiculous -- I should be able to just get in and go without having to fumble around with this stupid routine to turn the unit on.

Whoever thought this would be a good way for a mobile scanner to function needs to get the boot. For home use, this would be acceptable, but not for mobile.

troymail

Silent Key
1-Using a smart phone as a remote display using wifi dongle - I don't really have room for another radio display on my instrument panel

Since this was the first thing on your list - in my opinion - it's a joke. The interface is pretty buggy and last I saw, if you want to have your radio at home and use it on the road, you'll have to do some magic to make it work and/or buy more software. And there is no way I'd mess around with that junk while driving - moving or stationary.

My 536 sits on my desk at home pretty much ignored. I love my TRX-2 with the head mounted on the dash of my truck. My variety of handhelds cover everything else.

No one can really tell you what is best for you -- that's something you need to figure out for yourself.

When I buy a truck, I test drive 'em and decide... buying a radio is pretty much the same if you're only getting one....

Status
Not open for further replies.