TRX-2 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkorchensky

Premium Subscriber
I have had 2 TRX-2 scanners for quite a few years. Very pleased, but lately both have developed a strange problem.

I cannot format a memory card. Yes I have read all the articles I can find on the web and in Radio reference, and MANY different memory cards but no progress.

If I run the TRX-2 software and try to format a SD card it will not do it. If I open the software to the Trunked Radio Systems tab, the first line starts with ID column and it says FFFFFE. I go to Library import and download another trunk system, it adds it to the ID column as FFFFFF, etc, etc.

I have tried for days (weeks) to eliminate this error by completely uninstalling anything even remotely associated with TRX-2 but I cannot delete these entries and so it will not load.

Question: Is my system(s) pooched or does anyone have a helpful answer?

Out of ideas, so thanks for any help.

Ralph VE3EUK (1since 1969)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Try polishing the edge connector of the memory card with a pencil eraser followed up with a wipe of alchol or contact cleaner. Wet the card with either and insert and eject it a few times to also clean the card socket. Let dry and try again. Or format the card in an external card reader/writer on your PC as a FAT32 format. Or reformat the card in another device like a digital camera, ETC.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have had 2 TRX-2 scanners for quite a few years. Very pleased, but lately both have developed a strange problem.

I cannot format a memory card. Yes I have read all the articles I can find on the web and in Radio reference, and MANY different memory cards but no progress.

Think we are missing the issue of the OP, he has tried MANY different SD cards and is having the same problem. I think @tvengr has a good suggestion, format a new card and then try it, also don't leave it in the scanner, do it through the computer when preparing it with EZ Scan, finally make sure the SD card isn't locked to block formatting/writing to it.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Think we are missing the issue of the OP, he has tried MANY different SD cards and is having the same problem. I think @tvengr has a good suggestion, format a new card and then try it, also don't leave it in the scanner, do it through the computer when preparing it with EZ Scan, finally make sure the SD card isn't locked to block formatting/writing to it.
The write lock is a good point with the TRX-2 and the full size SD card they use. I couldn't count how many times I've had the write switch get pushed to the lock position while putting the card back into the radio when I had to remove the card for some reason.
I finally took a full size to micro SD adapter and disabled that write lock slider. A teeny tiny amount of super glue placed on the slide switch while it was in the write position did the trick for me.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I think @tvengr has a good suggestion, format a new card and then try it, also don't leave it in the scanner, do it through the computer when preparing it with EZ Scan,
After formatting a new SD card in the card reader, it may be necessary to prepare the card in the scanner since it says Prepare Scanner Memory/SD Card for use. I am not sure. It would be interesting to find out if that is the case.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
After formatting a new SD card in the card reader, it may be necessary to prepare the card in the scanner since it says Prepare Scanner Memory/SD Card for use. I am not sure. It would be interesting to find out if that is the case.

PREPARING it through EZ Scan is formatting it. But the interesting question is can he format it using the computer? If that doesn't allow him to format it the issue isn't the EZ Scan or TRX-2.

Ubbe

If I open the software to the Trunked Radio Systems tab, the first line starts with ID column and it says FFFFFE. I go to Library import and download another trunk system, it adds it to the ID column as FFFFFF, etc, etc.
It doesn't seem to be related with the SD card storage device. It is a windows/EZScam problem. I often get some sort of "trying to write outside of memory area" message and the only solution seems to be to disable that system and rename it, not delete it, and then create a new system.

When installing EZ-Scan use admin mode.

/Ubbe

rkorchensky

Premium Subscriber
Well Boys and Girls I thank you all for the very good suggestions. I have tried each and every suggestion even if I had done so before.

Unfortunately nothing worked.

I have installed EZ Scan with admin mode, tried 7 different SD cards, 5 different computers and/or laptops (all running various versions of Win10), tried with cards in TRX-2 and also in 2 different external SD card holders. NO JOY.

I'm beginning to think I have 2 junk trx-2's but no idea why.

I'm in Canada and have absolutely no luck sending anything back to USA for repair as is always comes back in worse condition than when I sent it, or with different problems, or never gets home at all, or my bill is usually considerably higher than I expected with US exchange, Duty, or shipping and handling charges.

So..........I'm not a quitter, but I don't have much hope in this instance.

Sincere thanks to all who helped.

Ralph VE3EUK (since 1969)

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have installed EZ Scan with admin mode, tried 7 different SD cards, 5 different computers and/or laptops (all running various versions of Win10), tried with cards in TRX-2 and also in 2 different external SD card holders. NO JOY.

I'm beginning to think I have 2 junk trx-2's but no idea why.

If you have tried outside of the TRX-2 and were not able to get it to work, what would make you believe it is the TRX-2? Sounds like a computer or software issue, not the radio causing the problem.

Ubbe

Check the region/nationality settings in windows. If that are not US compatible you can run into all sorts of problem. I have to change how dot and comma are configured, as that are used in the opposite way for thousands and decimals in Europe, to make Sentinel/EZ-Scam/ARC softwares work properly.

/Ubbe

rkorchensky

Premium Subscriber
Thanks again for the support.

Just to reiterate, I have tried this on 5 totally diifferent computers. 3 different PC's and 2 different laptops. All are running different models of win10. Some are home versions and a couple are win10 pro.

The only thing I am still looking at is the cable between the computer and the scanner, but I am unable to purchase a new on for 2-3 days as I am not at my home residence but rather at my summer home.

As I said I'm not a quitter but just out of ideas.

Thanks for all your help.

Ubbe

The only thing I am still looking at is the cable between the computer and the scanner,
Do you only get the problem after reading the scanner from the computer? If you rename your current EZ-Scan installation folder, do not delete it or uninstall, and do a second installation and then import from library, do you get that ffffff problem? Then it has nothing to do with cable or scanner.

/Ubbe

rkorchensky

Premium Subscriber
Do you only get the problem after reading the scanner from the computer? If you rename your current EZ-Scan installation folder, do not delete it or uninstall, and do a second installation and then import from library, do you get that ffffff problem? Then it has nothing to do with cable or scanner.

/Ubbe
Thanks for your good ideas Ubbe. In the next day or 2 I will be returning to my full residence for a couple of days. I will then try some tests on y second unit. Before I left it was having problems too so I will run some more tests and get back to you. Might take a few days.
Thanks for sticking with me.
Ralph VE3EUK (Since 1969)

TAbirdman

I had issues with Win 10 when I changed from 7. It seems Whistler did some changes in EZScan back then but there was a certain steps to get the drivers to load properly in Win10. If done wrong Windows will load some other driver and the PC will not "See" the scanner.

This is what they told me to do: DO NO T PLUG IN THE SCANNER!
1) Uninstall EZScan
2) Do a PC search for Whistler and TRX and delete any files/folder found.
3) Reboot PC
4) Download a fresh copy of EZScan from Whistler's Website
5) Install EZScan and then reboot the PC again
6) Open EZScan and THEN plug in the scanner. Wait for the USB tone that it saw it.
7) AS a test go to "Set real time clock to computer time" and it should pop up that the time has changed

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Use a card reader and ezscan to prepare the sdcard and report back as you really only need the usb cable to update firmware, set clock via pc, (both of which need the scanner turned off), lastly remote control demo....they all use the comport and need it to work.

The copying of the configurations DO NOT use the comport driver, they use a generic windows driver that is in windows by default.

TRY temp disable any antivirus and try it as that may be causing a issues.

I use windows defender and have no issues with ezscan and the trx-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.